Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Amex Sausage Rolls

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There's a difference between hand made and hand finished too.

Never bothered them, or you before though.

I have absolutely no idea what that post means.

Do they prepare the fillings themselves? Yes.

Do they make the pastry by hand? No. They use a mixing vat.

Do the roll the pastry by hand tools? Yes.

Do they fill the pies by hand tools? Yes.

Do they place the lids by hand? Yes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have absolutely no idea what that post means.

Do they prepare the fillings themselves? Yes.

Do they make the pastry by hand? No. They use a mixing vat.

Do the roll the pastry by hand tools? Yes.

Do they fill the pies by hand tools? Yes.

Do they place the lids by hand? Yes.

Do they reheat them ?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Regardless of the informative and thought-provoking pastry symposium I've just waded through, it is an indisputable FACT that Piglets Pies have deteriorated in quality over the past couple of seasons.

This may or may not be due to problems at the Piglet end of the chain or the Sodexo end, but the process now invariably results in cardboard crusts and wildly fluctuating general quality. In the first couple of seasons at The Amex, they were magnificent. Now they aren't.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
May I suggest that the filling is reheated and the pie/pastry is finished? [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I make sausage rolls.

1) Don't use all butter puff pastry - since they are fatty enough.

2) Buy good quality sausages with a high meat content of 90% at least.

3) Add to whatever is in the sausages to intensify the flavour. For example - I like the Waitrose ones with nutmeg and add more nutmeg.

4) Add to the meat what people like to eat with them and hedge all bets. I add a tablespoon each of brown sauce, ketchup and mustard, adding a few tablespoons of extra breadcrumbs to balance the liquid.

5) Egg wash and sprinkle the outside of the pastry with black pepper and sea salt.

6) Lastly ( and this my my friends is the best tip you will EVER get - taking a nod from the beef Wellington )

Egg and breadcrumb (must be fresh bread) the sausage meat before rolling in the pastry. It will absorb the excess fat and keep it INSIDE.

The pastry will be crisp beyond your wildest dreams and the inside will be moist.

I prepare them the night before and cook them in the morning - placing in a thermos bag straight out the oven without letting to cool. Once puff pastry has been allowed to steam it has that authentic behind the counter Greggs chewy thing going with quality ingredients.

They are gone within a few minutes at work.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh good the NSC bullying squad out in force tonight then.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Add another two pages minimum some of the usual suspects weighing now

Indeed ..... and led by the usual leader who's as arrogant as they come. He's a radio DJ you know ? He rarely mentions it though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I make sausage rolls.

1) Don't use all butter puff pastry - since they are fatty enough.

2) Buy good quality sausages with a high meat content of 90% at least.

3) Add to whatever is in the sausages to intensify the flavour. For example - I like the Waitrose ones with nutmeg and add more nutmeg.

4) Add to the meat what people like to eat with them and hedge all bets. I add a tablespoon each of brown sauce, ketchup and mustard, adding a few tablespoons of extra breadcrumbs to balance the liquid.

5) Egg wash and sprinkle the outside of the pastry with black pepper and sea salt.

6) Lastly ( and this my my friends is the best tip you will EVER get - taking a nod from the beef Wellington )

Egg and breadcrumb (must be fresh bread) the sausage meat before rolling in the pastry. It will absorb the excess fat and keep it INSIDE.

The pastry will be crisp beyond your wildest dreams and the inside will be moist.

I prepare them the night before and cook them in the morning - placing in a thermos bag straight out the oven without letting to cool. Once puff pastry has been allowed to steam it has that authentic behind the counter Greggs chewy thing going with quality ingredients.

They are gone within a few minutes at work.

Hants Seagull makes the most incredible SR’s. Fact!

Have you ever had the feeling that you rather wished you'd never started a thread?

And I completely agree the quality of pies has gone down; they were great when the Amex first opened but now I'd say they were better than the typical pie you get at a football ground but that's not saying much.

But as for the sausage rolls..... well, let's not go there again.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Has anyone spotted these sausage rolls in the east lower at all?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Regardless of the informative and thought-provoking pastry symposium I've just waded through, it is an indisputable FACT that Piglets Pies have deteriorated in quality over the past couple of seasons.

This may or may not be due to problems at the Piglet end of the chain or the Sodexo end, but the process now invariably results in cardboard crusts and wildly fluctuating general quality. In the first couple of seasons at The Amex, they were magnificent. Now they aren't.

Its a fact that the bigger a company gets the less they need to worry about their customers

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Aw diddums.

'He' does rarely mention it. It's actually you who mentions it far more. No idea why - the obsessive mind, I'm guessing. But thanks anyway.

Usual contracending rubbish from you then. As for obsessive - I point you to your obsession with following BG around the board and attempting to put him down with your so high and mighty and 'intelligent' posts. Must put Internet Troll on your CV.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Sorry to interrupt the baking secrets, but I saw these sausage rolls in the North Stand Piglets on Sunday.

Did someone say they are £4.30 each?

If so that is ridiculous, they were about 5" long and looked appetising but come on............ £4.30!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here