Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is a pattern emerging...

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Very much this.

I watched the Spurs v West Ham cup match last week, and the commentator referred to West Hams "humiliation" against Brighton about 3 of 4 times during the course of the game. HUMILIATION. As if they'd got turned over at home by a team from the noddy leagues. Newsflash: It was two lower-midtable teams playing each other in a LEAGUE match. It was hardly the shock result of the decade.

Then of course you've got the West Ham captain coming out saying "we shouldn't be getting beat 3-0 by Brighton". The perception of BHA by players, fans and the media is hugely patronising. Many had already decided in the summer that we were the cannon-fodder for the season, the whipping boys just popping in paying a visit to the PL before being slapped back down. So when we do actually BEAT someone, its met with general astonishment and an assumption that whoever we'd turned over simply couldn't have turned up on the day.

Tiresome. But all the while we are being dismissed and underestimated, we'll continue to surprise the ignorant, and we'll continue to harvest regular points.

You are right and I agree totally with your sentiments. To put matters into perspective, however, we have not been in the PL before, and for many year nowhere near it, and so it is perhaps understandable that other folk see us as cannon fodder. Think last year - had Burton won 3-0 at the Amex, I dare say that we might have just reacted in the same way. But as you say, it is nonetheless tiresome.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What do you expect?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sydney Opera House
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

Herds of wilderbeast sweeping majestically across the plain.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
These fan tv YouTube shows are utter rubbish, just a bunch of nobodies who rant and complain about how their team is performing to get attention. I just don't get the appeal as they aren't entertaining or insightful at all. And I sincerely hope we don't have one of our own if we start establishing ourselves in the top flight and start poo-pooing Championship teams when they get promoted.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It wasn't that long ago we beat West Ham at thier place when Butters scored, we turned over Saints in League 1 or Bournemouth were taking our 4th choice centre backs off our hands. We seem to have entered an alternate reality whereby any team whose been in the PL for 2 years or more instantly forgets that there is not much difference between top 6 championship and bottom half Premier league.

I suspect a lot of this is from the Talksport listening armchair fans who put Liverpool, Man u, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man city and Tottenham in thier accas and scratch thier heads when the other team turns up and gets a point. If Dunk ever plays for England he will be shit having never kicked a ball because he plays for Brighton who play at a poxy Athletics track and think that Solly March is a parade in Northern Ireland. The world is full of people with strong opinions about subjects they know nothing about.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Any team who get promoted that aren't one of the old fashioned big teams that the media drool over get it. Which is why they're all so desperate for Leeds to get promoted. Key is to use it to our advantage like Burnley and Watford did.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Any team who get promoted that aren't one of the old fashioned big teams that the media drool over get it. Which is why they're all so desperate for Leeds to get promoted. Key is to use it to our advantage like Burnley and Watford did.

Absolutely spot on ,

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The question is, if we stay up and face (say) Sheffield United, Cardiff and Wolves next season, will we start insisting we should be smashing teams like them? :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"We should be beating teams like Brighton!" x 38.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here