Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk's low driving cross-field pass

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sure. You quoted roughly what Jenas said, and added "words to that effect; not a direct quote - just in case some two bob's jobsworth wants to come on here and say those weren't the exact words)" - so it clearly doesn't matter if you got the quote right, you were just saying the gist of it, and had they said 6'3" (they didn't, they said 6'4" as you said) it wouldn't have mattered. sheebo was just pretending to be a jobsworth by pretending to correct you. That's all.

Was sheebo hoping for a comedy award? No. Just a lighthearted bit of fun.

I know!
Well, thanks for taking the trouble. My comment was just to clarify that what I'd put in inverted commas wasn't actually a verbatim report of what he said, not that any of the facts were wrong. It's a good job Sheebo wasn't going for a comedy award, eh?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Pass of the century.

7j8mk_1.gif

A ping of beauty.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well, thanks for taking the trouble. My comment was just to clarify that what I'd put in inverted commas wasn't actually a verbatim report of what he said, not that any of the facts were wrong. It's a good job Sheebo wasn't going for a comedy award, eh?

What do you call a women with one leg?

Eileen :thumbsup:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
2 worldly passes both let down by his team mates control.

Knockys worse as should be a goal if his first touch is good.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Brilliant , if there's a better English CB than Dunk playing at the moment then iv'e not seen him and if he were a Palace player i would say the same , somebody find me some other current English CB footage of him smashing out 70 yard pinpoint passes time after time , you won't be able to . Well done Mr Southgate and the usual suspects at England HQ for completely overlooking the best CB in the country , toop work :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Two more to add to the archive. :drool:

Dunk-Pass-1.gif

Dunk-Pass-2.gif

Quite simply fantastic BUT also worth a mentioning how bloody good Knocky and Gross' control is on both of those. I really feel Knockaert is playing fantastically this season despite many disagreeing at times on here. That touch is unreal.

As for Phil Jones getting in the England squad ahead of England's current best CB my a country mile - Southgate you're stupid.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
According to the BBC this morning, Southgate has felt the need to call up a CB to replace the injured Deli Alli. Presumably he would need a CB who can ping round 40 yard passes like a midfielder.

Step up Michael Keane...........................................

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've just been having a debate with some mates (Man U / Arsenal etc) that there's no better English CB than Dink right now. Those gifs back up my point perfectly. Tbh apart from Stones most agree.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Just to play devils advocate, perhaps Dunks skills are not what England need?

We are moving away from the long ball style, so his beautiful raking passes are not needed.

And his last ditch blocks and tackles are classed by some as him 'not being in the correct position' to intercept the ball cleanly.

Paulo Maldini said “IF I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake.”

and Xabi Alonso said “I don’t think tackling is a quality. It is something you have to
resort to, not a characteristic of your game.

“How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don’t understand football in
those terms.

“Tackling is a last resort, and you will need it, but it isn’t a quality to
aspire to, a definition.

“It’s hard to change because it’s so rooted in the English football culture,
but I don’t understand it.”

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Southgate has apparently now said he knows his squad for the World Cup. Looks like we can stop all our Gunk-for-England speculation now............

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Just to play devils advocate, perhaps Dunks skills are not what England need?

We are moving away from the long ball style, so his beautiful raking passes are not needed.

And his last ditch blocks and tackles are classed by some as him 'not being in the correct position' to intercept the ball cleanly.

Paulo Maldini said “IF I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake.”

and Xabi Alonso said “I don’t think tackling is a quality. It is something you have to
resort to, not a characteristic of your game.

“How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don’t understand football in
those terms.

“Tackling is a last resort, and you will need it, but it isn’t a quality to
aspire to, a definition.

“It’s hard to change because it’s so rooted in the English football culture,
but I don’t understand it.”

If everyone could play like Paolo Maldini there'd be no need to quote him.

Xabi Alonso was never a defender. And that quote is one of the most pretentious football quotes ever, said at the time of Spain's tiki taka dominance.

Phil Jones, Gary Cahill, Michael Keane, Chris Smalling et al are hardly Maldini-esque in their defending nor are they Pirlo-esque in their ball playing skills.

I imagine that the reason Dunk isn't in the squad is because 1) he has only played 11 premier league games and 2) he isn't a graduate of the England youth teams. Having read a few Southgate interviews over the past few days and weeks I don't think we will be seeing Dunk in an England squad this side of the world cup, if ever. I hope I'm wrong but Southgate seems to have his senior defenders sorted and a big desire for new faces in the squad to be U-21's and down. There's no place for a 25 year old premier league newbie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here