Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Today’s ref Neil Swarbrick

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thought he was good. Both our yellows justified: Murray should know better. Bong clattered through their man from behind, 100% a yellow.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Bong was a yellow all day

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Duffy.

The point is the ref was lenient to Southampton fouls, including some very cynical ones. A free kick, no talking to and no card.
Maybe he should have booked more Saints but got no complaints on Murray and Bong

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Thought he was poor and inconsistent, should have booked Ward-Prowse for the hand ball, didn’t book Stephens despite a couple of warnings for niggling fouls. Think there was a moment where Bertrand pulled our player back and didn’t even get a talking to when it looked quite blatant and stopped a good attacking move. Thought the yellow for Murray was harsh, but haven’t seen a replay yet. Duffy I thought was for kicking the ball away. He seemed to get a couple of corners wrong, gave them one that wasn’t and should have given us one. Got in the way of us counter attacking a couple of times which was also frustrating.

Yep, as cynical as you can get. Yellow all day long but apparently not in Swarbrick's mind.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The ref managed to disrupt our attacking play twice by 'getting in the way' of good passes

Lucky Southampton. He didn't do it to them.

Ref=Tool.

:nono:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
He got in the way of play twice, both times looked like it could be dangerous.

Its up to players to play around the ref sure they can sometimes help by getting out of the way but its not their responibility.

I thought he was trying to be too "fair" to the away team way too much but wasnt horrendous.

Also I thought asking for a player to be booked was an offence and I saw at least 4 times Boufal mimiced a studs up challenge to the ref trying to get our player booked.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Its up to players to play around the ref sure they can sometimes help by getting out of the way but its not their responibility.

I thought he was trying to be too "fair" to the away team way too much but wasnt horrendous.

Also I thought asking for a player to be booked was an offence and I saw at least 4 times Boufal mimiced a studs up challenge to the ref trying to get our player booked.

Boufal was a total tool from start to finish. Bellend.

Duffy, Murray and Bong all deserved yellows though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In real time I thought Stephen's one was a foul but after seeing replay I think he toes the ball - bloody ref in way of the other angle replay annoyingly! As for Duffys yellow, yes there's contact and it's a fouk but Gabi dives all day long. Sprung off his right leg after it had been touched. Did not think the officials were good - the Lino missing the one that had gone a yard over line in first half was a shambles!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Was right in front of us
The Soton defender got the ball stuck under his legs and Murray kicked the ball and the player
Murray kicked the player about a second after the whistle which prompted the push. Think the yellow was just about right.......
Right, so it wasn't for arguing then.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In real time I thought Stephen's one was a foul but after seeing replay I think he toes the ball - bloody ref in way of the other angle replay annoyingly! As for Duffys yellow, yes there's contact and it's a fouk but Gabi dives all day long. Sprung off his right leg after it had been touched. Did not think the officials were good - the Lino missing the one that had gone a yard over line in first half was a shambles!

Did you see him point up at the sun after!? He knew it had gone out but just didn't react in time.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
From where I was sat watching (ESU) the free kick that led to their goal shouldn't have been given. Poor decision there. He failed to get a hold of the game too, when Southampton found themselves 1-0 up they did what ever they could to disrupt play, waste time, fall over etc.
Linesman down this side was useless too, he didn't make a single decision, kept looking at the ref to see what he should do.
I've not watched any replays yet to see what we got away with.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Completely bought the dive for the Southampton free kick & goal. Sickening to see the 'Saints' shaking hands with each other after the free kick was awarded. Boufal = Serial diver.

Also that ball was a metre over the line, should never line again that official!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
From where I was sat watching (ESU) the free kick that led to their goal shouldn't have been given. Poor decision there. He failed to get a hold of the game too, when Southampton found themselves 1-0 up they did what ever they could to disrupt play, waste time, fall over etc.
Linesman down this side was useless too, he didn't make a single decision, kept looking at the ref to see what he should do.
I've not watched any replays yet to see what we got away with.

Completely bought the dive for the Southampton free kick & goal. Sickening to see the 'Saints' shaking hands with each other after the free kick was awarded. Boufal = Serial diver.

Also that ball was a metre over the line, should never line again that official!

The ball was there to be won from a heavy touch so no complaints there. In real time it looked like Stephens got the touch on the ball, the replays are (somehow) less conclusive. I've seen it from a few angles now and still can't work it out, looks to me like Dale did play the ball back against Boufal and this is what tripped him. Considering how close Swarbrick was we'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt I suppose.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The worst of the season for me. Had little of consequence to deal with and few complaints about the free-kicks he gave. However, he was far too lenient with Southampton’s continual ploy of breaking up the majority of our attacks with a quick foul/trip around the halfway line. At the very least they should have been told to cut it out - and a couple of yellows wouldn’t have gone amiss.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally thought he was generally poor. He did keep getting in the way for some reason and made some bad decisions including the free kick for their goal. Didn't agree with any of the bookings except for Bong's.

The worst Premier ref I've seen this season. Got in the way of play and let them dictate to him with time wasting and play acting. Duffy's card was never a yellow.

There's being one-eyed, and there's this!

Duffy's was about the most nailed on yellow card in the history of football! Conceded an unnecessary free kick, then hoofed the ball into the ESL when the ref blew for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here