Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Today’s ref Neil Swarbrick

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He should have booked that irritable urk Boufal who seemed to spend most of the game rolling on the ground with one eye open or flailing his arms in the air trying to get players booked ,what a nauseous creep

Even the Stains fans were tweeting that Boufal’s antics were an embarrassment

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The worst Premier ref I've seen this season. Got in the way of play and let them dictate to him with time wasting and play acting. Duffy's card was never a yellow. Arguably could have given yellows for 2 deliberate hand balls but didn't. Missed 2 very clear obstructions on our players. Not all one way either as Murray was quite lucky to stay on the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought he was decent. He got in the way a couple of times, but that happens, and sometimes teams don't help themselves by playing it to where the ref is then trying to play through him. He can't just evaporate. He was definitely hamstrung by inept assistants. On the east side not seeing a ball going clearly over the line - he should have been looking down to the ground, the sun isn't an excuse, and the one of the west side not making any decisions when the ball went out of play.

After getting a bit too close to the southampton player leading to the saints player falling over easily, Murray tried to get the ball and kicked the player. That's what the saints player was responding to, and why I'm not going to criticise him for booking Murray.

The saints players were going down and yelping and holding legs and ankles before getting up and running around just fine. The ref was fully aware and didn't fall for it. I don't believe he was looking for an excuse to give a red card for Bong. He was explaining to the southampton player that he wasn't buying his claim that it was studs first. He then booked Bong because it was an ugly challenge that deserved a card.

He let both teams have a little bit of physicality (such as dunk nudging the player by the byline, several little nudges on Izquierdo).

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Thought he was poor and inconsistent, should have booked Ward-Prowse for the hand ball, didn’t book Stephens despite a couple of warnings for niggling fouls. Think there was a moment where Bertrand pulled our player back and didn’t even get a talking to when it looked quite blatant and stopped a good attacking move. Thought the yellow for Murray was harsh, but haven’t seen a replay yet. Duffy I thought was for kicking the ball away. He seemed to get a couple of corners wrong, gave them one that wasn’t and should have given us one. Got in the way of us counter attacking a couple of times which was also frustrating.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
In general the ref was poor, but the lino in front of the west stand was truly awful. Kept making wrong decisions or just waited for the ref to make the decision for him.

Only brownie point I'll give the ref is that when Stephens fouled someone, S'oton clearly wanted a red card for going in at knee height. The ref was very quick to tell the player that Stephens didn't go in studs first on the knee, it was just a collision.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Agree with most in here the west stand Lino was crap. He had no idea half the time and just looked at the ref.

I thought there were a couple of times in the first half where Southampton players committed blatant fouls which stopped play. Other refs I've seen this season would definitely have booked them. Apart from that thought he was ok.

I just wish a ref would get the card when the likes of Tadic and Boufal start rolling around when there's clearly nothing wrong them. In my book this is just as much cheating as diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What a load of crap. The SCC player got up and pushed Murray. You can't get booked for arguing with a player that's just pushed you, that's ridiculous.

The player got up and pushed Murray because Muzza kicked him in the leg while the Saints player was on the ground.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he was reaonable and did nothing wrong other than get in the way a couple of times but that happens. IMHO the card for Murray was justified as you just cannot have players having 'handbags' throughout the game. We have seen many worse than him but not many with less idea than the lino with the red flag down the west.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Aside from getting in the way, I thought he had a fairly decent game.

The Murray incident, he was always going to booked both of them or neither of them.
I thought Duffy was booked for dissent given his reaction to conceding the free kick, by kicking the ball away and raising his arms in frustration. Personally I think he was annoyed with himself rather than the decision.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The player got up and pushed Murray because Muzza kicked him in the leg while the Saints player was on the ground.
But I was replying to a post that says he was booked for arguing, not for kicking a player. I didn't think Murray kicked out, but I haven't seen a replay so if he did I'd understand him getting booked for that.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
But I was replying to a post that says he was booked for arguing, not for kicking a player. I didn't think Murray kicked out, but I haven't seen a replay so if he did I'd understand him getting booked for that.

Murray was lucky to stay on the pitch IMHO. Fouled the guy then went studs in, ref lenient in my view. Murray had no need to go in like that

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What a load of crap. The SCC player got up and pushed Murray. You can't get booked for arguing with a player that's just pushed you, that's ridiculous.

Murray kicked the player about a second after the whistle which prompted the push. Think the yellow was just about right.......

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Was right in front of us
The Soton defender got the ball stuck under his legs and Murray kicked the ball and the player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Up until today I thought the standard of officials has been pretty good, but today all three were awful.

Both linos hadn't got a clue, and the positioning of the referee poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here