Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings - Southampton (H)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ryan 7

Bong 6
Duffy 8
Dunk 9
Bruno 7

Knocky 7
Stephens 7
Propper 8
Izquierdo 7
Gross 7

Murray 8

They had 1 shot on target, and barely a sniff of a clear cut chance. We found it difficult, but getting back into the game was no mean feat. Felt we settled for a point around 75mins, but pragmatism might be the thing that keeps us up. Propper was the stand out midfielder for me, he's looking some player now, and Izquierdo worked himself into the ground. Murray an 8 because to beat Forrester was some header. Solid performance, we can be better though, but that was a real test after going behind.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Propper, really? Worst game since start of season, caught in possession and tried being too clever.

Funny reading opinions, I'm with [MENTION=14282]Quinney[/MENTION], thought Propper was v good today, that 'clever' you speak of I felt we needed to unlock a team often with all 11 in their half. He made countless tackles and interceptions too. He's growing with every game and some of his touches are sublime. His partnership with Stephens looks so strong with Dale much more risk averse keeping possession, Davy has that mercurial eye for that unlocking pass or moment of genius. Think he's looking much more physically up to the task now, and if anything growing with every game.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ryan 7

Bong 6
Duffy 8
Dunk 9
Bruno 7

Knocky 7
Stephens 7
Propper 8
Izquierdo 7
Gross 7

Murray 8

They had 1 shot on target, and barely a sniff of a clear cut chance. We found it difficult, but getting back into the game was no mean feat. Felt we settled for a point around 75mins, but pragmatism might be the thing that keeps us up. Propper was the stand out midfielder for me, he's looking some player now, and Izquierdo worked himself into the ground. Murray an 8 because to beat Forrester was some header. Solid performance, we can be better though, but that was a real test after going behind.

Pretty much as I saw it. We restricted a top 10 team to basically nothing, and had them worried for a large chunk of the second half. Shame we started so slowly, but generally another positive display that shows we’re at home in the division.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I did not see anything special and he did not seem all that composed. More like Goldson than Duffy in that game.
I thought that Otamendi, Kompany, Jagielka, and Evans were as good if not better.

I thought Southampton were a better team than WBA, Newcastle, Everton.

This.

Looked really uncomfortable to me, didn’t like a challenge, bit of a show-pony.

If he is worth £50m-£70m, what does that make Dunk and Duffy worth -(all based on today of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This.

Looked really uncomfortable to me, didn’t like a challenge, bit of a show-pony.

If he is worth £50m-£70m, what does that make Dunk and Duffy worth -(all based on today of course).

Yeah, crikey with you on that, given how big he is, Murray won a fair amount in the air, and I didn't think he dominated, and neither did he look anything special on the ball. Not denying he is a very good defender, but if Liverpool think he's the answer, they're asking the wrong question. I would say they've dodged a bullet if they were truly going to part with £50m+ for him.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yeah, crikey with you on that, given how big he is, Murray won a fair amount in the air, and I didn't think he dominated, and neither did he look anything special on the ball. Not denying he is a very good defender, but if Liverpool think he's the answer, they're asking the wrong question. I would say they've dodged a bullet if they were truly going to part with £50m+ for him.

Say it quietly but Liverpool need Dunk and Duffy, that might even put them in the top 4.

But if they are getting £100m + for Coutinho. I think £100m for Dunk and Duffy would be about right, but would hope we resist as long as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Say it quietly but Liverpool need Dunk and Duffy, that might even put them in the top 4.

But if they are getting £100m + for Coutinho. I think £100m for Dunk and Duffy would be about right, but would hope we resist as long as possible.

Unfortunately, they are pinging a lot of radars at the moment. Hasn't it been great though to see the development of Dunk in particular? From the lows a few years back, to Chris coming in and taking a young, rash, slightly raw angry young man, likely to get a couple of red cards and countless needless bookings every season, to lets face it, a player who will fully deserve an England call up. He's developed year by year and is clearly getting better. A genius partnership - remember the comments when we signed Duffy, his career stagnating at Blackburn, what a signing, what a pairing!

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Ryan 7 Not much to do but looked commanding dealing with some crosses
Bruno 6 The Bruno/AK relationship has lost its mojo, but Bruno was fine
Duffy 8. Immense
Dunk 7. Immense but not his incisive best when coming forward with the ball
Bong 7 Izquierdo was angry with him in first half at one point for being out of position defending, but I thought he was good overall
AK 5. Is it just that his head is in the wrong place right now or maybe he has been found out in the PL? Not sure why he took the free kicks/corners when Gross is so much better at both. AK worries me
Propper 8. OK, got knocked off the ball a couple of times but has great vision and passing ability. He is the creator to Stephens's destroyer. MoM
Stephens 7. The destroyer alongside Propper's creator. His job is obviously to get ball and then pass ball but sometimes a bit slow. Must stop giving away dangerous free kicks
Izquierdo 7. Yes sometimes looks like a high class KLL, but my god is he fast! Adds a lot of danger to the team
Gross. 7. Drifted in and out of the match, but another peach of an assist. He needs to take the free kicks and corners
Murray 8. Another goal and worked his socks off. Also started using the dark arts again to annoy opponents - splendid

Subs - not on long enough

Overall a fair result. Two mediocre teams cancelled one another out. We are looking fine compared with the mid/lower PL sides but, in all, a total meh of a match.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Really surprised by some of the ratings.

I thought Stephens was brilliant yesterday, I can't recall him even once giving the ball away and was very composed on the ball, my MOTM.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really surprised by some of the ratings.

I thought Stephens was brilliant yesterday, I can't recall him even once giving the ball away and was very composed on the ball, my MOTM.

Player ratings can be for contributions across all 90mins, but also influenced by split second moments. Had Murray not scored, my 8 might be revised to a 6, given the quality of that moment. Same is true of Stephens, difficult to get passed the moment he gave the needless free kick away that led to our goal. This is the premier league, anything given within 10 yards of the area in this league is a clear cut chance for the opposition. He had a good game, but that was a costly error. Thought Propper just edged him in our midfield in the end.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
I'm surprised Stephens has the high marks. Gave away the free kick for the goal, lucky to not be yellow carded, thought he was generally awful in the first half. Very good in the second half though.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Player ratings can be for contributions across all 90mins, but also influenced by split second moments. Had Murray not scored, my 8 might be revised to a 6, given the quality of that moment. Same is true of Stephens, difficult to get passed the moment he gave the needless free kick away that led to our goal. This is the premier league, anything given within 10 yards of the area in this league is a clear cut chance for the opposition. He had a good game, but that was a costly error. Thought Propper just edged him in our midfield in the end.

Fair point, however the same people are saying Gross was MOTM, and you could argue that had he stayed with his runner then Davis wouldn't have been free to put the ball in the back of the net. It's a game of opinions of course. Propper had a good game too but made what could have been a costly error in the second half, the only difference being his error was not punished.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Ryan - 6.5
Bruno - 6.5
Duffy - 7
Dunk - 7
Bong - 6.5
Knockaert - 6.5
Stephens - 7.5 (MOM)
Propper - 7
Izquierdo - 6.5
Gross - 7
Murray - 7

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'm surprised Stephens has the high marks. Gave away the free kick for the goal, lucky to not be yellow carded, thought he was generally awful in the first half. Very good in the second half though.

That's pretty much how I saw it too. First half he'd get a 3 second half a 7 so split the difference and call it a 5.
Gross would be my man of the match.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I had a feeling this thread would be interesting reading, and I wasn't wrong! Very contradictory opinions, but I would agree with what seems like the consensus, all 6s except for Dunk, Duffy, Gross and Murray who would all get a 7 from me. Stephens was very good second half after a poor first half.

I'm concerned by Propper Dave in the middle, I really don't see what he adds and I think he'll find himself on the bench when Kayal is fit enough to start. He offers nothing in attack, and no particular presence at the back. He's clearly a nice footballer, very gifted and plays a lovely pass but he's really not having an impact on the game which isn't good enough for us.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Strange that some people are attributing the blame to a debatable free kick given away by Stephens, but not the guy who lost his man and let him nod it in on a rebound.

If Ward-Prowse had rattled in the free kick direct I could understand it abit more. A far more dangerous free kick was given away in the dying minutes by Duffy but didn't result in us conceding so it's forgotten. Is why i'll never understand ratings, surely you have to judge each moment on it's own, not if it was/wasn't capitalised on? Else you'll be going back a couple more minutes and blaming Ryan for not playing to the whistle and picking the ball up.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Ryan - 6 Largely unemployed

Bruno - 7 Steady. Few times seemed frustrated that he was in acres of space but wasn't given the ball. Leader. Legend. Beard
Dunk - 7
Duffy - 7
Bong - 6

Knocky - 6 Somewhat underwhelming performance. Seems increasingly prone to hissy fits when dispossessed rather than getting on with the game. Maybe time for a rest.
Propper - 7 Beginning to look really classy now
Stephens - 5 Seems to be morphing into Bridcutt; looking at options square and backwards when he had runners. Lots of niggly fouls too (like the one that resulted in their goal)
Izquierdo - 7 Scarily quick. Looks like an absolute bargain

Gross - 8 Some lovely touches. Linked play well.

Murray - 6 What an enigma. After he scored he looked absolute class. But before lacked energy and was just plodding around. Took goal well but still not sure I'd pick him over Tomer because of Tomer's work rate and energy

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I had a feeling this thread would be interesting reading, and I wasn't wrong! Very contradictory opinions, but I would agree with what seems like the consensus, all 6s except for Dunk, Duffy, Gross and Murray who would all get a 7 from me. Stephens was very good second half after a poor first half.

I'm concerned by Propper Dave in the middle, I really don't see what he adds and I think he'll find himself on the bench when Kayal is fit enough to start. He offers nothing in attack, and no particular presence at the back. He's clearly a nice footballer, very gifted and plays a lovely pass but he's really not having an impact on the game which isn't good enough for us.

I really rate Kayal but there is absolutely no way he will get in the team ahead of Propper. Both Stephens and Propper broke up play well yesterday and Propper's range of passing is brilliant. He and Stephens have different roles but he more than plays his part in the team (an example being a sublime flick and then pass to Izquierdo to setup the crucial second goal at West Ham).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Ryan 6 - No chance with the goal but not much to do either
Bruno 6 - Solid enough but not so effective going forward as usual
Dunk 7 - Very solid. Dealt well with Southampton's forward line
Duffy 7 - Similar to Dunk
Bong 5 - Struggled in my view. He had a good game against West Ham and deserved to keep his place but hope Suttner will be back for Swansea
Knockaert 7 - Flattered to deceive at times but always looked dangerous
Stephens 7 - Unlucky in my view to give away the free kick for the goal (looked to get the ball). Starting to look a good player at this level. Reading the game really well
Propper 7 - Some good interceptions and a few brilliant passes to the wing
Izquierdo 7 - Similar to Knockaert, didn't do a lot but when he was on the ball we looked more dangerous
Gross 7 - Didn't follow his man in for their goal but deserves a decent mark for two brilliant crosses for the goal and another Murray chance soon after. Other than that, worked hard but did not see a lot of the ball
Murray 7 - Didn't do a lot but gets an extra mark for the goal, which was so well taken. He might not do a lot for most of the game but, if you give him a chance in the box, he will generally take it

Subs

Brown 5 - Didn't offer anything when he came on
March N/a - Not enough time to mark him but had a good run at one point

Overall, a solid performance generally. Nobody played very badly but none of them were brilliant either.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Stephens woeful first half,better 2nd,Propper for me was better of the two,I think it depends on your view from your seat,Propper vision is much much better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here