Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings - Southampton (H)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Stephens had a good game, too, I thought.

No really poor performances, either. Just one of those mediocre games where everyone did ok.

The only person on the pitch deserving of a low mark was the referee. By a considerable margin the worst so far this season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes absolutely agree

All 6s except

Bruno 6.25
Stephens 6.5 MOM
Propper 6.25
Murray 6.25

kiwigull

Nov 14, 2008
I thought Stephens was poor today, he does couple of great interceptions a game but gives the ball away wo easily sometimes as well as turning back to often when there's space to attack into.
Jose and Gross were standouts for me, Knockaert just needs a bit of luck and he'll be there again, definitely no lack of effort from them though!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Stephens was OK, but the thing that frustrated me today is he sometimes passed the ball just behind players, which really slowed our build up play.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Not the most memorable of games. Poor first half, but we improved in the second.

Ryan 6. Not a lot to do. Dealt just fine with what came his way.
Bruno 6. OK. Not his best.
Duffy 7. Defended well again, but looked as if he missed a sitter in the second half.
Dunk 7. Good game.
Bong 6. Did well enough.
Stephens 7. One of his better performances this season, but still a couple of unnecessary errors. Was the free kick really a foul? If so could he have avoided it?
Propper 7. Some lovely stuff from him. Getting better game by game. But gave the ball away in a very dangerous situation near the end.
Knockaert 5. Still not back to his best.
Izquierdo 7. Would have liked him to have had more of the ball.
Gross 7. Another good game. Great cross for the goal.
Murray 7. Very well taken goal and won a decent number of headers, but ball control let him down a couple of times in the first half.

Subs:
March 5. Didn't see much of the ball.
Brown 5. Ditto

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Ryan - 6 Nothing to do.
Bruno -6 in and out of the game. not exposed today but little impact going forward
Bong - 7 Good game. rarely would I give him a mark higher than Bruno but think he is actually imporving. Now ahead of Suttner and work well with Izqi (NSC mafia says I can't call him Izzy)
Duffy -7 - great except for silly foul that could have got us in trouble
Dunk - 7.5 solid as always but no killer pass today
Stephens - 6 typical
Propper - 6 sometimes really good, sometimes brainless
Gross - 7 off and on today. Set pieces were nowhere for anyone today but it was his pinpoint cross that made the difference. Possibly his worst game in a month but still above average.
Izqi - 7.5. Would have been mom if not for his naivety sometimes and predictability of cutting inside. Works really well with Bong.
Knocky - 7 - he's getting better but still its mostly flashes.
Muzza - 7 - first touch awful and dosne't hold the ball as weel as Hemed but he scored and he did soem great knock ons and kept going.

Subs - nothing

one last point. Although the midfield as individuals is crummy I think as a two they work really well together. Both make too many mistakes but they stay close together, are compact and really make it hard so although the average for each is 6.25 the mark for both would be 7.5 today. Just wished they made more happen going forward as I thought that's what Propper would do.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I thought Stephens was poor today, he does couple of great interceptions a game but gives the ball away wo easily sometimes as well as turning back to often when there's space to attack into.
Jose and Gross were standouts for me, Knockaert just needs a bit of luck and he'll be there again, definitely no lack of effort from them though!

I often wonder if a cold shower before the match might get Stephens not to give the ball away so much.Their goal was down to him,I thought.Ryan was poor compared to Koosh,whose kicking out was far superior,but a point gained against Stains,who were a bunch of cheating twunts.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Stephens had a good game, too, I thought.

No really poor performances, either. Just one of those mediocre games where everyone did ok.

The only person on the pitch deserving of a low mark was the referee. By a considerable margin the worst so far this season.

I thought Stephens was poor first half, but our best player 2nd half

WhingForPresident

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Ryan 7

Bruno 6
Dunk 7
Duffy 7
Bong 7

Knockaert 6
Stephens 6
Propper 6
Izquierdo 7

Groß 7 MoM
Murray 5 first half, 7 second= 6 overall

No really bad performances but no outstanding ones either. Izquierdo looked decent and caused some problems, Groß just about shades it for man of the match for the assist and the amount of chances he created, though he should really have been tracking Davis better for the goal. On another note, Bong has looked decent since coming back into the fold.

Diablo

Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Duffy and Bruno were good,Izqi looks to bring something to the game but for me MOM was Dunk !! another great performance.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hopefully Kayal coming back might give Stephens a bit of a kick up the backside to stop doing so many silly things in games as there's some competition (I know we've had Sidwell but he's not really a serious contender to start every week).

Probably agree with the all 6's, but Dunk was MOM for me.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We were alright, I can understand some expectations being heightened after a few of our performances recently but Southampton finished 8th last year and clearly had some very good defenders and were well organized. First half was poor from us but we improved in the second, in the end a draw was a fair result and we will play several more vunerable sides at the back at the Amex later on in the season.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Stephens had a good 2nd half but does give away too many free kicks, I thought.

Edited to show what I thought.

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
Not sure what Stephens had to do with their goal. I thought Murray made the foul in a bad position.
I thought Stephens, Gross, Bong, Dunk, Duffy, Murray were worth 7s otherwise 6s all round, a solid performance but need a little bit more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here