Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings - Southampton (H)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
He's not there quite yet but I'm starting to get a little buzz of excitement every time Izquierdo has the ball. He reminds me a little bit of Portuguese Ronaldo in his early days at Man United.

Hope he turns out to be a great player for us. Him down the left, Knockaert down the right, Gross in the middle. Creativity everywhere - let's hope we start getting a few more shots on goal and a decent striker in Jan who can put them away.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He's not there quite yet but I'm starting to get a little buzz of excitement every time Izquierdo has the ball. He reminds me a little bit of Portuguese Ronaldo in his early days at Man United.

Hope he turns out to be a great player for us. Him down the left, Knockaert down the right, Gross in the middle. Creativity everywhere - let's hope we start getting a few more shots on goal and a decent striker in Jan who can put them away.

Your post is a weird one. Firstly, he plays the game nothing like the fake Ronaldo other than that they both have a nominally similar starting position.

Secondly, you say we have creativity everywhere but then say you hope we start getting more shots on goal...surely creativity everywhere would lead to lots of shots on goal?

You finish it off with your best point of all. Hoping we get a "decent striker" in January... even though Murray has just scored 3 in 2 and Hemed was on a good goalscoring streak pre-ban. Seriously, what would your expectations be if we got this infamous "decent striker" in January? A hat-trick a game from all these chances we're gunna start creating?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ryan - 7 he claimed a number of high balls well and commanded his box when needed. Kicking was decent too and he couldn't do anything about the goal.
Bruno - 6 a bit below his usual level and I felt Boufal had the beating of him for much of the game when given a chance.
Duffy - 6 suffered in the first half when put under pressure and lost the ball in simple situations too regularly for my liking. Missed our best chance to win with a wild effort as well. On a positive note, he did his standard thing of winning a lot in the air. It's just a shame that VVD was on the pitch as he made Duffy look like a much weaker player than he is when in comparison.
Dunk - 7 uncharacteristically sloppy with the ball at times, but swept up behind Duffy regularly and blocked a couple of their best openings.
Bong - 7 he's improving. His selection was an admission that Southampton would have the ball, which shouldn't be happening at home, but he acquitted himself well defensively. His passing also seemed fairly on point, the odd stray one aside.
Knockaert - 6 still not quite sparkling for me. A couple of shots, a couple of decent dribbles and a couple of decent passes, but not enough and it was all overshadowed by some petulance, some awful set piece delivery and, at times, poor defensive work as he let his man run off him.
Izquierdo - 7 there's a spark there, but at the moment, he looks like he should be more dangerous than he is. His pace in behind scared them, but we certainly didn't use this attribute as well as we should have with his good runs often not being picked out.
Stephens - 6 his usual mix of excellence and poor play. He needs to become more consistent to really excel at this level. Too many fouls, but also broke up play well at times.
Propper - 6 a decent showing without ever getting beyond 2nd gear.
Gross - 6 an inconsistent game, much of which passed him by. Luckily for us, he picked out a brilliant ball for Murray at just the right time. Still, he works very hard to close the opposition down and often demands more from his teammates. His composure on the ball is vital too.
Murray - 7 a crucial, well taken goal. Up against the best CB I've seen this year, he inevitably struggled to really impose himself, but at times he held the ball well, often drawing fouls to relieve pressure. Sometimes, he just needs to concentrate on retaining the ball and letting others get up in support.

Subs - I wouldn't even waste my time rating them.

Hughton - did well to turn the game around, but his starting team was an admission that we were giving Southampton a lot of respect, and he didn't try and win the game with proactive substitutions, so he must be disappointed.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I know it is a game of opinions and all that, but F U C K I N G H E L L ! :eek: :wozza:

And you're always right?:lolol:.At least Koosh knows where the touch-line is,and doesn't kick it straight out of play.He quite often finds a player from his own team,as well.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
And you're always right?:lolol:.At least Koosh knows where the touch-line is,and doesn't kick it straight out of play.He quite often finds a player from his own team,as well.

Did Ryan kick it out of play once yesterday? If he did, I missed it. Strange comment.

Edit: Actually he did, when trying to release Izquierdo quickly after a take, was unlucky.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Koosh's kicking was dreadful. Ryans is no where near as good as I thought it would be, when claims we had signed him for his distribution were mentioned frequently. However as disapointing as it has been, it is still better than Koosh's, for instance Ryan yesterday dealt with a pass-back very well, let the ball roll across his body and calmly played it out with his left foot, Koosh would more often than not shank it.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
He kicked it out of play quite often at the London Stadium (is that what its called?) but I wondered whether it was the amount of space beyond the actual side lines of the pitch that confused him and he just struggled to find the range.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
Your post is a weird one. Firstly, he plays the game nothing like the fake Ronaldo other than that they both have a nominally similar starting position.

Secondly, you say we have creativity everywhere but then say you hope we start getting more shots on goal...surely creativity everywhere would lead to lots of shots on goal?

You finish it off with your best point of all. Hoping we get a "decent striker" in January... even though Murray has just scored 3 in 2 and Hemed was on a good goalscoring streak pre-ban. Seriously, what would your expectations be if we got this infamous "decent striker" in January? A hat-trick a game from all these chances we're gunna start creating?

Christ what an aggy response.

1. 'He reminds me a little bit' was the phrase I used, not 'hes the spitting image of'. Regardless, he's a quick, tricky, wide player who takes people on, cuts in on his wing, takes shots and is happy dropping into the middle when needed as well - I'll refer you to YouTube for Izquierdo's time at Brugge if you'd like more evidence. I'd say that position-wise he's very similar to Ronaldo at United. My comparison was more around Ronaldo's early days when it was clear he had talent but wasn't very refined. I'd say the same of Izquierdo - looks like he has a lot of potential and could be very exciting.

2. We do have a lot of creative players, but we struggled to get shots on goal against Southampton - that's not contradictory, that's just what happened. Putting a clever ball through for a striker or beating a man (both of which I'd say are creative) don't always result in shots on goal. We only had 2 shots on target... I'd also say, apart from the beginning of the second half when we dominated, we struggled to create chances. However, as I said we have a lot of creativity (Knockaert, Gross, Izquierdo, March)

3. Do you actually follow Brighton? Hemed scored 2 goals, he wasn't on a streak pal and yes Murray has scored 3 in 2 (one penalty) but unless you've been living under a rock we were desperate to sign a striker in the transfer window and I'd say it's fairly widely accepted that we could do with a higher class striker than either Hemed or Murray. And that's no disrespect to either of them, I like them both and think they've done well but we need a top level striker.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ryan 7

Bruno 7
Duffy 7
Dunk 8
Bong 6

Izquierdo 7
Propper 7
Stephens 7
Knockaert 7

Gross 7
Murray 8

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Koosh's kicking was dreadful. Ryans is no where near as good as I thought it would be, when claims we had signed him for his distribution were mentioned frequently. However as disapointing as it has been, it is still better than Koosh's, for instance Ryan yesterday dealt with a pass-back very well, let the ball roll across his body and calmly played it out with his left foot, Koosh would more often than not shank it.

Sorry,perhaps I should have explained a bit better.Koosh played in the Blues/Villa derby just prior to our match,and looked superior to Ryan,who I think is our 'Weakest Link',at the moment.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sorry,perhaps I should have explained a bit better.Koosh played in the Blues/Villa derby just prior to our match,and looked superior to Ryan,who I think is our 'Weakest Link',at the moment.

If you seriously think Ryan is our weakest link at the moment, then I don't know what to say. What exactly did he do yesterday to make you say that? What has he done wrong since the first couple of games?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He didn't look great and stopped our momentum a couple of times but I actually felt sorry for him today.

He's a young kid who needs games and he's only getting a few minutes here and there and being played in different positions each time. He's nowhere near getting a start for us when most players are fit and what is his best position anyway?

I wonder if there is a case for ending his loan in January so he can get a move to a top championship club and nail down a position for the rest of the season. We will be making more attacking signings then (probably!) so I can only see him falling further down the pecking order. It might suit all parties for him to go elsewhere, get more game time and free up a loan for us if necessary.

He's nowhere near getting a start except when he started in our first match v Man City, and was doing fine until injured after 20 minutes.
He was then out for our next 6 matches until Everton where he naturally started on the bench, came on and had a decent shot which nearly won the game.
Had 15 minutes v West Ham, and a few minutes yesterday.

What if Gross or Izquierdo or Murray get injured ? Would we not want him then ?
Can't see how those last 3 games are really enough to say lets pack it all in, lets send him back to Chelsea, its not working. .

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
If you seriously think Ryan is our weakest link at the moment, then I don't know what to say. What exactly did he do yesterday to make you say that? What has he done wrong since the first couple of games?

It's all a matter of opinion.If you think he has improved to Prem standard since the first couple of games,well,good for you.I think our defence has learned to cope.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He's nowhere near getting a start except when he started in our first match v Man City, and was doing fine until injured after 20 minutes.
He was then out for our next 6 matches until Everton where he naturally started on the bench, came on and had a decent shot which nearly won the game.
Had 15 minutes v West Ham, and a few minutes yesterday.

What if Gross or Izquierdo or Murray get injured ? Would we not want him then ?
Can't see how those last 3 games are really enough to say lets pack it all in, lets send him back to Chelsea, its not working. .

I'm not saying it's not working but for me he's behind Murray, Hemed, Baldock, Gross, March, Jose and Knockaert in the positions he apparently plays and he's slightly ahead of Murphy and Skalak at the moment.

I'm not saying we should send him back now but in January we are probably going to sign at least one more attacker and then he falls further behind. Obviously it would be good for us to keep him as a decent squad player but he hasn't looked great in any of his appearances for us which is understandable with no continuity of position or game time. I can't see how that's particularly helping anyone, especially the kid who needs more game time and to work out where his best position is.

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's all a matter of opinion.If you think he has improved to Prem standard since the first couple of games,well,good for you.I think our defence has learned to cope.

Learnt to cope with what? Him making numerous reaction saves since?

If you mean learnt to trust him then yes I would agree.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

It is a matter of opinion, but to say Kuszczak looks superior to him is ridiculous to me.

As for our defence learning to cope with him, have you thought it might be them developing a better understanding, as happens naturally when players play together more? Ryan has been very good since the Leicester game. Your comments on him are extremely harsh.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not saying it's not working but for me he's behind Murray, Hemed, Baldock, Gross, March, Jose and Knockaert in the positions he apparently plays and he's slightly ahead of Murphy and Skalak at the moment.

I'm not saying we should send him back now but in January we are probably going to sign at least one more attacker and then he falls further behind. Obviously it would be good for us to keep him as a decent squad player but I can't see how that's particularly helping anyone, especially the kid who needs game time and to work out where his best position is.

Having a decent squad player helps us. Otherwise we'd have a squad of 15 not 25.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here