Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Your cheapest and most expensive beers/drinks.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
£15 for 2 pints of Harvey's and a white wine spritzer at the Bath Arms - I realised then why I live in Spain!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
48 euros for thee small bottles of Heineken in Hi in Ibiza. 16 bloody euro each. About £14.80 or something.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
48 euros for thee small bottles of Heineken in Hi in Ibiza. 16 bloody euro each. About £14.80 or something.

That venue (nee Space) has always been expensive. I was at a Richie Hawtin Enter night a couple of years ago and he had set up a sake bar selling his own branded sake...for €40 euros a pop. I remember thinking this was actually a good deal relative to everything else on sale in the venue.

Who did you see there?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
As above - €14 for bottle of Heineken in Ushuaia 3 years back

In a pub I did 2 pints of Camden lager for £11.80 before West Ham which I thought was steep, that was in the viaduct in St. Paul’s.

Cheltenham is now up to around £4.30 id say on average at one of the nicer places in town.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
That venue (nee Space) has always been expensive. I was at a Richie Hawtin Enter night a couple of years ago and he had set up a sake bar selling his own branded sake...for €40 euros a pop. I remember thinking this was actually a good deal relative to everything else on sale in the venue.

Who did you see there?

Armand van Heldon. Took me back to 1997 - best night we had by a mile. I seem to recall a couple of vodka red bulls in pascha were about 60 euros but can remember. David guetta played that night. It was okay but Hi was miles better. More chilled out and less meat head bell ends.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Pint of Peroni £5.40 in The Basketmakers central Brighton, it is £5.80 in London.

2 x 6" plain cheese & tomato pizzas and 2 halves lager, in Stockholm 1984 £15:00, Christ knows what that would be in today's equivalent 33 years on.......?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Arise in the Albert is £5.20, similar to Brewdog Punk, fantastic pint.

Cheapest is Whitstable Bay at Lidl at £1.25, £1.99 in Co-op!

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Last year, whilst in Leuvens, Belgium, I found a bar with the fabled Westvleteren XII, considered by some to be the best beer in the world. I paid £14 for a 330ml bottle.

The Wetherspoons next to Chichester cathedral (my local) does cheap ales on a Monday, and combined with vouchers I get from CAMRA I can get a pint for £1.50 - and it's always decent local brewers like Langhams or Ballards.

goldstoned

Mar 4, 2011
Very surprised yesterday that in the Swiss Cottage in Shoreham that Peroni is £5.15 a pint. Last year I had a pint of mild in the Ship in Southwick and it was £2.85.
What do you pay?

Most expensive pint I have bought in Brighton is in The Eagle. Punk IPA was £6:25. The same pump had 2 other beers (can't remember which ones) that were also £6:25. They even had a sign in front of the pump conveying the price as I reckon lots of people ordered a beer then refused to pay when the barman insulted them with the price!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Cheapest must have been back in my student days in Cardiff. A crappy old central pub called The Model Inn was celebrating its 21st birthday in 1982 by having a 'happy half hour' every now and again throughout the day - if you got in quick, prices dropped briefly to 1961 levels. Think the best value was 'one shilling' (5p) a pint. Ten (ten) pints for 50p. In the 1980s... Joy. And a stinking hangover next day...

Mind you I also paid the equivalent of about 5p a pint for some largely undrinkable local beers in China in 1993.

Most expensive? Probably about 5 years ago: 66 euros for one 33cl bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin in an Amsterdam bar... (shared three ways). Was it worth it? Nah, probably not.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Last year, whilst in Leuven, Belgium, I found a bar with the fabled Westvleteren XII, considered by some to be the best beer in the world. I paid £14 for a 330ml bottle.

If you challenge Belgian landlords about their pricing policy for Westvleteren, most will openly admit that it's "because the American tourists are prepared to pay it." Very over-hyped (mostly by American tourists) in my opinion - Rochefort 10 is one-third of the price and nicer.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Carlsberg is £2.55 a pint at The Grenadier in Hove, but I only drink it when I can't afford something better. Also fortunate enough to have a mates rates card in Walkabout, West Street which allows to me get a pint of Heineken, Captain Morgans & mixer, Smirnoff & mixer or JD & mixer for £2 each.

Paid £9.00 for a single (yes, single) vodka and red bull in the Black Lion. Then paid £13.50 for three Jagerbombs. Never gone back.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I paid £6.50 for a pint of unbranded lager in a plastic "souvenier" cup at Twickenham yesterday afternoon. You get to keep the cup though. Woop.

Cheapest is probably the £2.80 for a pint (bottle) of Efes in Spoons. Outstanding, and one of my favourite beers.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
If you challenge Belgian landlords about their pricing policy for Westvleteren, most will openly admit that it's "because the American tourists are prepared to pay it." Very over-hyped (mostly by American tourists) in my opinion - Rochefort 10 is one-third of the price and nicer.

Yes, I think they trade on the supposed scarcity of it as well. Happy to have tried it, but there are other trappist beers I prefer, like Westmalle Tripel for example. Don't think I've tried Rochefort 10 so will keep an eye out for it, thanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just spent €23 on a martini....

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
A day trip to London a few years ago, fancied a nightcap near Big Ben after the obligatory photo op. Couldnt find a pub nearby so went across the river to the Marriott, wifey and me dressed ok so didn't have an issue of getting past the doorman to their private bar. Lovely bar with views of the houses of parliament, river etc. Ordered a couple of large Baileys on ice and almost passed out when the smartly dressed waiter returned later with the bill which came to £28.00 they look quite peeved that I didnt leave a tip.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A myth??

I find it a lot cheaper since moving up North....massive difference on a big night out

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Well I'm talking about the North as in Yorkshire rather than almost Scotland. :wink:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A day trip to London a few years ago, fancied a nightcap near Big Ben after the obligatory photo op. Couldnt find a pub nearby so went across the river to the Marriott, wifey and me dressed ok so didn't have an issue of getting past the doorman to their private bar. Lovely bar with views of the houses of parliament, river etc. Ordered a couple of large Baileys on ice and almost passed out when the smartly dressed waiter returned later with the bill which came to £28.00 they look quite peeved that I didnt leave a tip.

That reminds me of another massive rip off. The thimble full of champagne at the top of The Shard for £10 a pop. Had one anyway, rude not to.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Venue bar in Alvor on the Algarve - perfectly chilled and reasonable pints of the local lager - 90 CENTS (rising to an outrageous 2 Euros after 10pm). Happily halfway between our hotel and the town, so perfect pre-dinner drinking place.
Beer has been the same price there for 5 years. No idea how they make any money. Not had a pint for less than a quid anywhere else since living in Jersey in the late 1980s.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here