PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Sunday 29th October 2017
Kick-off: 13:30 GMT
Referee: Neil Swarbrick
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Scott Ledger
Fourth official: Roger East

TEAM NEWS

Beram Kayal and Sam Baldock could feature in a Brighton squad for the first time this season against Southampton on Sunday.

Midfielder Kayal is ready for a return from a broken leg while forward Baldock is back after pre-season calf surgery.

Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina is absent with an ankle injury sustained in training this week.

Saints have no other new injury concerns, with defender Jeremy Pied remaining out with a groin problem.

Sofiane Boufal is pushing for a starting role after scoring the winning goal against West Brom last weekend.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Steve Wilson: "In a League One clash in November 2010, Southampton and Brighton fought out a goalless draw at St Mary's.

"In his post-match TV interview the then-Southampton boss Nigel Adkins was asked if he thought the two clubs would be competing for the title. His response was: 'If they can keep pace with us, maybe.'

"Brighton were well and truly riled, and what had been a relatively low-key south coast rivalry has had an added edge ever since.

"Brighton went on to win the title that season, with Southampton promoted as runners-up. The following year there were three red cards in their two Championship meetings.

"They have not played each other competitively since - but they have also not forgotten."

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton: "Southampton are a wonderfully gifted team and that makes it a very difficult game on Sunday. We will have to be good at both ends. They have the ability to play the game a certain way and I don't think they will change that."

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino on a possible recall for Sofiane Boufal: "This is one possibility. I'm happy with that because Sofiane I think in the last two or three games is playing well, even when he came from the bench.

"Against Stoke and Newcastle and the other day obviously, and I'm really happy with that because I want to improve the competition in the squad."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton won the most recent meeting 3-0 at home in the Championship in January 2012.
    [*=left]That was only their second victory in the last 13 meetings in all competitions (D4, L7).

Brighton

• [*=left]Brighton have lost just two of their last seven Premier League matches (W3, D2).
    [*=left]They could win four of their opening 10 matches in a top-flight season for the first time.
    [*=left]Victory against Saints would also ensure back-to-back top-flight victories for the first time since September 1982.
    [*=left]Pascal Gross has been involved in six of Brighton's nine league goals this season, with two goals and four assists.
    [*=left]Chris Hughton takes charge of his 100th Premier League match on Sunday. [citation needed]

Southampton

• [*=left]Southampton have won five Premier League away matches in 2017, one more than their tally at home.
    [*=left]Saints go into the weekend as the joint-lowest scorers in the top half of the table, with eight goals.
    [*=left]They have failed to score in nine of their last 15 Premier League matches.
    [*=left]Sofiane Boufal's winner against West Brom last weekend was his first goal in 23 Premier League games.
    [*=left]Shane Long has failed to score in his last 26 appearances for club and country.
    [*=left]Nathan Redmond has had a Premier League-high 24 shots without scoring this season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Better get ready to leave home....

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
  • [*=left]Chris Hughton takes charge of his 100th Premier League match on Sunday.

Sky seemed to think it was the last match and the BBC seem to think it's this one. Does anyone actually know?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Brighton v Southampton 13:30, Sky Sports

Last met in 2011/12 (Championship), Brighton 3-0 Southampton

The last 3 head-to-heads ALL went OVER 2.5 GOALS

Both teams DIDN’T score in 3 of the last 4 head-to-heads

The last 3 repeat fixtures ALL went OVER 2.5 GOALS

2 draws in the last 5 head-to-heads

Have met 40 times, Brighton 8, Draw 10, Southampton 22

Brighton have scored in 5 of their last 6 league games

Brighton have lost just 1 home league game this season (4)

4 of Brighton’s last 5 games (all comps) went UNDER 2.5 GOALS

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Steve Wilson of MOTD: "Brighton went on to win the title that season, with Southampton promoted as runners-up. The following year there were three red cards in their two Championship meetings.

"They have not played each other competitively since - but they have also not forgotten."

That 3-0 victory at our place was a dream then?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Steve Wilson of MOTD: "Brighton went on to win the title that season, with Southampton promoted as runners-up. The following year there were three red cards in their two Championship meetings.

That 3-0 victory at our place was a dream then?

I think you're misinterpreting it. I think they are saying we have not met since there were three red cards across our two Championship meetings.

I'd take issue with the "not forgotten" bit though. There's no one who was in our match day 16 when we won 3-0 who will feature today, although Dunk did play in the earlier 3-0 defeat at St Mary's.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Can’t stop thinking how pivotal this game could be. While every match against a team outside the top 6 is important, forgetting our league position I still keep getting drawn to the fact we’re still only 3 points above the drop zone. Again, putting to one side what our league position would be if we win today, a win will establish our biggest gap so far from the drop zone which has a far greater significance to me than the actual league position - not to mention opening up an even bigger gap on the scum ! UTA !

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can’t stop thinking how pivotal this game could be. While every match against a team outside the top 6 is important, forgetting our league position I still keep getting drawn to the fact we’re still only 3 points above the drop zone. Again, putting to one side what our league position would be if we win today, a win will establish our biggest gap so far from the drop zone which has a far greater significance to me than the actual league position - not to mention opening up an even bigger gap on the scum ! UTA !

Completely agree. A squeaky bum 1-0 will be just fine and although "another Everton" wouldn't be a disaster this is a great opportunity to create real breathing space.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here