Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Season ticket holders why

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Sorry, on the train and scrolled down for ages bit nothing relevant came up to post on. Been out in Stratford all afternoon for a poker tournament, on my way home, a nightcap in the 3 Grapes near London Bridge, got chatting to a guy outside, talking footy, first thing he says he's a Gooner. Next thing, he's a Brighton season ticket holder. I ask why ? He says Why not? He lives in Eastbourne, and goes to maybe 4 games a season. I didn't quite call him a c**t bearing in mind our waiting list, but in effect I did. His GF claimed his uncle was a long time ST holder as some kind of mitigation. Had to leave and catch the last train home, just wondering how prevalent this kind of shite is

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I think the club said if you do not attend something like 65 or 75% of games they reserve the right to take cancel your season ticket. Not totally sure but think it was something along these lines.

So to answer your question there might he a few years like him but there will be fewer if they do not attend the minimum number of games required.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
It happens at most Premier League clubs I’m sure. I know of a Liverpool fan who bought two Palace season tickets when they went up so he’d be guaranteed to see his team when they played at Selhurst.

And I know of an Arsenal fan who has SEVEN season tickets at the Emirates and sells them for profit. He doesn’t go himself. Lives abroad now.

And a West Ham fan who bought season tickets for him and his Chelsea supporting daughter at Stamford Bridge. She’s grown up now so he goes to the big games and sells them for all the other games on the ticket exchange.

Oh, and a Norwegian who lives in Bergen (he’s never lived in England) and is a season ticket holder at Old Trafford. Comes across for the big games, otherwise sells it on.

Doesn’t make it right, but we aren’t special in this regard.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think the club said if you do not attend something like 65 or 75% of games they reserve the right to take cancel your season ticket. Not totally sure but think it was something along these lines.

So to answer your question there might he a few years like him but there will be fewer if they do not attend the minimum number of games required.
They haven't said that at all.

They were talking about child season tickets and upgrades in the statement you refer to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They haven't said that at all.

They were talking about child season tickets and upgrades in the statement you refer to.

If this isn’t the case then there’s a huge disconnect between the club’s approach to home and away tickets and their usage.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If this isn’t the case then there’s a huge disconnect between the club’s approach to home and away tickets and their usage.

This. Needs to be resolved.

I’ve worked with guys that have had season tickers at two London clubs, just so they had a home game to go to most weekends........

Sure we’ve got loads of STHs that see BHA as their second team like the guy in the OP.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can the club legally refuse to renew season tickets because fans are not using them for more than a certain number of games? It may be galling but as long as they are paid for can they really do anything about it. I imagine most of the season ticket holders who don't go sell or give their tickets to mates too, making it harder to police, although it seems the club are not keen on this either.

It was always going to happen, you don't go from around 5-6K season ticket holders to over 20k with only Albion fans buying imo.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can the club legally refuse to renew season tickets because fans are not using them for more than a certain number of games?

No idea. But, personally, and home or away, I feel I should have the right to decide whether I attend games and not fear the wrath of the club. And if the club want to get heavy then they should provide simple options for moving on tickets.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No idea. But, personally, and home or away, I feel I should have the right to decide whether I attend games and not fear the wrath of the club. And if the club want to get heavy then they should provide simple options for moving on tickets.

Or write it into the terms and conditions and highlight them on purchase.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I know quite a few in 1901 that don't support Brighton and pass the tickets around. To be honest it doesn't bother me as they are corporate tickets and the club are getting bundles of cash, those tickets aren't in high demand etc.. but I do think its out of order if they are cheaper tickets that are stopping other supporters getting to 'bigger' games.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You do have the right to attend games or not.

That isn't in question. There is no club wrath about this.

The whole recent issue is simply about whether the harvester points should be awarded for not showing up.

el punal

Really? Never heard that one before. Surely if you choose to buy a season ticket and put £x into the club coffers then whether you go or not is your prerogative.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You do have the right to attend games or not.

That isn't in question. There is no club wrath about this.

The whole recent issue is simply about whether the harvester points should be awarded for not showing up.

I have a choice, but the club have alluded that I run the risk of being banned if I make this choice too often (this is my take home message from their “abuse the system” email).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have a choice, but the club have alluded that I run the risk of being banned if I make this choice too often.
The club haven't mentioned anything about a ban.

It is just misquoted or misremembered chinese whispers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Really? Never heard that one before. Surely if you choose to buy a season ticket and put £x into the club coffers then whether you go or not is your prerogative.
It's misremembered nonsense.

The actual issue was child season tickets needing to be used by children a minimum number of times and not excessively upgraded.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Can the club legally refuse to renew season tickets because fans are not using them for more than a certain number of games? It may be galling but as long as they are paid for can they really do anything about it. I imagine most of the season ticket holders who don't go sell or give their tickets to mates too, making it harder to police, although it seems the club are not keen on this either.

It was always going to happen, you don't go from around 5-6K season ticket holders to over 20k with only Albion fans buying imo.

All STH represent and warrant that they are supporters of the Albion (clause 1.2 of the ST T&Cs). The ST remains the property of the club, and they can have it back at any time (clause 3.4). Aside from these generalities, they can cancel the ST for, inter alia, being pissed, standing, singing abusive songs, not being a supporter of the Albion, misusing a ST (selling it/giving it to a mate) - all under clause 7.1.

So, if they want you out, there are plenty of ways they can do it. If you’ve done nothing wrong, except not attended many games, they could get you under 1.2 or 3.4; but there’s no specific clause saying you have to attend (except in the case of a junior ticket in the family stand where the junior has to attend 25% of games - clause 3.6).

Whether they cba to police non-Albion fans holding a ST and turning up once a season to see their team is another matter, ofc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The club haven't mentioned anything about a ban.

It is just misquoted or misremembered chinese whispers.

Just to be clear I was referring to away tickets. And this is from the clubs updated T&Cs

"Identifiable abuses of the loyalty scheme will result in loyalty point deductions and may also result in possible further sanctions (including a further deduction of points or an away ticket ban)"

The club haven’t clarified what “abuse” is so I can only assume it’s repeated purchase and non-attendance of away games.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just to be clear I was referring to away tickets. And this is from the clubs updated T&Cs

"Identifiable abuses of the loyalty scheme will result in loyalty point deductions and may also result in possible further sanctions (including a further deduction of points or an away ticket ban)"

The club haven’t clarified what “abuse” is so I can only assume it’s repeated purchase and non-attendance of away games.

I think it is definitely if you repeatedly buy an away ticket and do not go - what else did you think int may mean ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it is definitely if you repeatedly buy an away ticket and do not go - what else did you think int may mean ?

The club have not explicitly stated what “abuse” is but, like you, I presume this is what it means.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here