Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The official fight night thread

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Takam's reputation has shot up despite his lose, has shown a weakness in AJ's style

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Those punches will look a lot more devastating if you are the ref standing 2 feet away. Agree its debatable if it should be stopped at that point but referee erred on the side of safety.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BBC says the ref stopped it because Takem wasnt throwing any punches just taking them and the ref had seen enough. Not watching it but it seems the correct decision if the man isnt hitting back.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
BBC says the ref stopped it because Takem wasnt throwing any punches just taking them and the ref had seen enough. Not watching it but it seems the correct decision if the man isnt hitting back.

What it actually says is that he wasn't throwing enough back in the referee's opinion:

"Anthony Joshua retains his WBA and IBF world heavyweight titles as he attacks, but Takam was not throwing enough back and referee Phil Edwards has seen enough and stops it"

Not enough and none at all aren't the same thing.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What it actually says is that he "wasn't throwing enough back" in the referee's opinion.

Not enough and none at all aren't the same thing.

Why bother? BG said he isn't even watching the fight, just ignore him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Isnt it the same he wasnt throwing enough punches back surely it means the same.he wasnt making a fight of it just trying to go the distance and land a lucky punch.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Isnt it the same he wasnt throwing enough punches back surely it means the same.he wasnt making a fight of it just trying to go the distance and land a lucky punch.

Takam was still highly active in the fight, and was probably the more mobile. It was a flurry of punches and he was still very active. Awful decision. Joshua was slowing down and the ref was looking for any excuse to stop the fight and protect the Hearn cash cow. Horrible performance from Joshua tonight, he looked very ordinary and WIlder, Povetkin, Ortiz, and Fury will have taken great encouragement that if youre mobile you can beat Joshua. A peak condition Fury would have had a field day tonight. Sadly we'll probably never see that happen.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Awful stoppage by the ref.
Worst AJ performance I've seen throughout his professional fights.

Hats off to Takam, absolute warrior. Should have been allowed to continue as AJ seemed to be tiring, and Takam still had a spring in his step and was firing back.

The ref will know he's made a mistake there tonight.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Takam was still highly active in the fight, and was probably the more mobile. It was a flurry of punches and he was still very active. Awful decision. Joshua was slowing down and the ref was looking for any excuse to stop the fight and protect the Hearn cash cow. Horrible performance from Joshua tonight, he looked very ordinary and WIlder, Povetkin, Ortiz, and Fury will have taken great encouragement that if youre mobile you can beat Joshua. A peak condition Fury would have had a field day tonight. Sadly we'll probably never see that happen.

Impossible to say that based on that fight as totally different styles. I remember watching Fury have a nightmare against Steve Cunningham (who was a cruiserweight) in his 21st fight. Don't forget also that Joshua would have been preparing for a completely different fighter in Pulev and none of his sparring would have been against fighters of Takam's size, style and mobility.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am and always have been of the opinion that if the fight reaches the last 3rd and a fighter is getting hit and so far behind on points with no chance of winning other than 1 lucky punch the ref should stop the fight. I am not saying that is right or wrong just my opinion. I dont know how the score card stood at the time of the stoppage, which may have influenced the refs decision, but I am sure that it will be available somewhere on line to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here