Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Trains on Sunday

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It was a nightmare getting to the Everton game. The train I caught was late leaving Brighton so missed the first fifteen minutes. Something to do with their on board cctv not operating so they couldnt leave.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Villa away . Worst I've known

Villa was fine by car. Paid next to nothing to park in a 5-a-side complex about 5-10 mins walk from the ground. 2 minutes to get out of the car park and we were on the motorway after 500 yards. I can imagine the train is total shite though, they're not exactly large trains / stations round there.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It was a nightmare getting to the Everton game. The train I caught was late leaving Brighton so missed the first fifteen minutes. Something to do with their on board cctv not operating so they couldnt leave.

Was also on this train. The delay meant they let an empty train leave before us, which further slowed down our train because it was stuck behind. Shambles!

bristo

Apr 8, 2010
East Preston
So to sum up the answers to my question. If you always hate queuing for any length of time it was a nightmare. If you take the more realistic view that clearing 30,000 people inevitably means maybe 30 mins queuing then it was fine. And if you are lucky with your timing after a pint there's hardly any queue. Sounds like a normal match day service to me and not just 2 trains an hour as per National Rail website. Cheers, hopefully this Sunday is the same.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Does anyone know what ' normal match day service ' actually is ?

I can't recall ever seeing the number or timing of trains / carriages expected for match day service. ( But I agree that it's actually pretty good....although the queue can look long it moves along quickly )

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
National Rail are showing 2 trains an hour back to Brighton after the Southampton game. They showed the same for the Everton game despite club saying it would be a full match day service so I drove in. Was it a nightmare after Everton? Who was lying?

I'm pretty sure National Rail updated the website late Saturday evening / early Sunday morning to show the match day service with trains running every 10 minutes or so.

bristo

Apr 8, 2010
East Preston
I'm pretty sure National Rail updated the website late Saturday evening / early Sunday morning to show the match day service with trains running every 10 minutes or so.

No they didn't. I checked Sunday morning around 9.30 and it showed 2 trains an hour. That's why I drove in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When they say normal match day service do they mean a normal service for Saturday games or a normal Sunday service for games?

What does it look like for getting from Brighton to Goring are any problems expected?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No they didn't. I checked Sunday morning around 9.30 and it showed 2 trains an hour. That's why I drove in.

You must have been unlucky with the timing on Sunday morning, because National Rail had definitely updated their site to show a full match day service by the time I left home about 11am. Not much use to those coming from further afield than Brighton though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Villa was fine by car. Paid next to nothing to park in a 5-a-side complex about 5-10 mins walk from the ground. 2 minutes to get out of the car park and we were on the motorway after 500 yards. I can imagine the train is total shite though, they're not exactly large trains / stations round there.

I guess it depends where you end up ..last season I was down Trinity Rd (I think) and it took an age to navigate my way through various streets to get onto a motorway

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When they say normal match day service do they mean a normal service for Saturday games or a normal Sunday service for games?

What does it look like for getting from Brighton to Goring are any problems expected?

My guess is that any westbound trains are going to be very busy with Saints fans as well as Brighton.

el punal

You must have been unlucky with the timing on Sunday morning, because National Rail had definitely updated their site to show a full match day service by the time I left home about 11am. Not much use to those coming from further afield than Brighton though.

Okay coming from the west. I'm on the train direct from Southampton and all is well (fingers crossed!). I have told a lot of Saints fans that they have to change at Portsmouth/Fratton to get to Brighton - now that would be fun! An appearance by the walking dead knuckle dragging Pompey afficiandos to welcome them with a smile in their heart and a cheery wave. :cool:

bristo

Apr 8, 2010
East Preston
Showing many more than that now, roughly one every ten minutes.
Thanks for that. Search Angmering to Falmer and return and it shows about 2 an hour for Farmer to Brighton leg. Just search Falmer to Brighton and, as you say, it shows one every 10 mins! Computer programme can't cope.
So it's the train for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here