Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] White poppy?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Where does the money go?

White poppies are more about the message of peace and remembrance than about raising funds. We distribute white poppies to promote remembrance for all victims of war and to challenge the view that war and preparations for war are necessary or inevitable.

Money raised over and above the cost of producing, publicising and distributing the poppies goes to fund our education and campaigning work, thus promoting nonviolent approaches to conflict and challenging militarism.

Wishy-washy bobbins. I'm out.
Would rather put my money towards the veterans.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
The white poppy is designed to raise money and remember all victims of war, including those that we fought against. Why should I care about the people that were trying to kill our troops? And why are they suddenly deciding to sell them at the same time as the British Legion?

I'll be wearing a red poppy and only a red poppy with pride.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The white poppy is designed to raise money and remember all victims of war, including those that we fought against. Why should I care about the people that were trying to kill our troops? And why are they suddenly deciding to sell them at the same time as the British Legion?

What about our troops who are trying to kill other people? I love how the media brainwashes people that our guys must be by definition brave, wonderful good guys and anyone on another side is an evil, sadistic, murdering brute.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Just like our armed forces that have died, they were only following orders. All death is bad.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
What about our troops who are trying to kill other people? I love how the media brainwashes people that our guys must be by definition brave, wonderful good guys and anyone on another side is an evil, sadistic, murdering brute.

I wouldn't expect our enemies to mourn our troops and I won't mourn theirs.

The white poppy suggests that we should mourn anyone that has died in war, including Nazi's and stretches as far as members of ISIS.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wouldn't expect our enemies to mourn our troops and I won't mourn theirs.

The white poppy suggests that we should mourn anyone that has died in war, including Nazi's and stretches as far as members of ISIS.

Depends how you look at it - they're all wasted human lives.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Depends how you look at it - they're all wasted human lives.

Don't get me wrong, I can see it from that side of things. But some of those humans had the intention to kill countless innocent people because of their beliefs. I think the world will be much better off without those people and won't be showing any sign of mourning them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A thread in need of a "oh no, not this shìt again" meme if ever there was one.

Calling [MENTION=277]looney[/MENTION].

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The white poppies were originally for Pacifists, but then became anti-nuclear. Their money went to CND for a while . I think their money goes to a Peace movement now.

Many people think the red poppy of the RBL glorifies war, when it remembers those who died or are injured, but that isn't true. It's worn in gratitude to the many millions who didn't want to go to war, but the politicians led us into it anyway.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
All death is bad.

SmallMilkyFallowdeer-size_restricted.gif

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
This.

260,000 civilian death in Iraq, and for what?

I would happily wear a symbol that mourned the deaths of innocent people. But the white poppy symbolises remembrance of all death in war including those that definitely aren't innocent. It's just too vague for me and that's why I choose not to wear one.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Don't get me wrong, I can see it from that side of things. But some of those humans had the intention to kill countless innocent people because of their beliefs. I think the world will be much better off without those people and won't be showing any sign of mourning them.

The world would be much better off without war.

Personally, I do care that so many of our troops enemies were killed. They were, in the main, just ordinary boys, like ours, who were sent to fight by their leaders with no real interest in the ideologies that took them there.
They would probably have had exactly the same mind-set as my Grandfather, who fought them, these are his words to me as best as I can remember them:

“We didn’t fight for King, or Country, we weren’t there to defeat Nazism or have any notion of freeing Europe from tyranny, we fought for the men at our sides, our mates”

One of the most profound things he ever said to me was when he declined my offer to take him to the 50 year anniversary of the Normandy Landings, of which he was part.

“I killed men John, I’m not proud of that”

I will wear my red Poppy, with pride, as usual and never think of wearing a white one but I will also think of those killed in combat on the other side who had no desire to be there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here