Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Amazon key - allows Amazon to deliver inside your house

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I heard about this on the radio this morning. Not a chance, why would anyone want a stranger to have access to the house? Open to abuse, not so much from the delivery people, but crooks who are looking for an easy way in - they would find ways of using this to their advantage.

If only we could go back to the good ol' days of leaving your door open so Mrs Thimblepot from next door could drop by for a slice of cake (i'm speaking as someone who never actually lived during those days!). Unfortunately, the world has moved on and not in a better way.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Hell no. :wrong:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I think they also include a web cam which is activated when the door is opened and the recordings are stored on the cloud. But with the massive data breaches they have recently had in the US I don't even trust the cloud anymore for storing personal data

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It's a no from me. Small items delivered to work so I can take them home and larger stuff to the in-laws as they're local or to the local collection point.

I thought that if paying by credit card for online orders they can only be delivered to the card holders address otherwise someone could "find" a lost credit card [that had not yet been reported] and get stuff delivered to wherever ..... or has this security policy been revised?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I thought that if paying by credit card for online orders they can only be delivered to the card holders address otherwise someone could "find" a lost credit card [that had not yet been reported] and get stuff delivered to wherever ..... or has this security policy been revised?

I have had stuff delivered to other addresses many times.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I have all my Amazon deliveries where I work, so much easier as reception can sign for them even if I'm not there. I shan't be letting the amazon driver into my house.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So you give a complete stranger access to your house via the internet. What could possibly go wrong? Apart from the stranger leaving the door wide open? Or the remote key being hacked? Or the insurance company deciding it completely invalidates the policy? Mental.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Depends who the courier is?

If it is Hermes, no chance I am going to let some chav in my house. They'd steal all your stuff then wipe shit all up your walls.

If it was DPD or UPS then maybe.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I guess it could work for someone who has a porch or a utility room with an outside door. Give the delivery driver access to one room which doesn't have much stuff in it. Letting them into the rest of the house seems a bit mental though.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Depends who the courier is?

If it is Hermes, no chance I am going to let some chav in my house. They'd steal all your stuff then wipe shit all up your walls.

If it was DPD or UPS then maybe.

If it was the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ Almighty then maybe, otherwise, no.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

When did you last order anything online?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I remember when there were concerns that the new self-service tills would be a license for shoplifters and all the hire-bikes in London would end up either stolen or in the Thames. Similarly I have my doubts this will cause the problems many are claiming.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Amazon will be rolling this out in the States from early November

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/25/technology/business/amazon-key-delivery/index.html

Not sure how this will pan out in NYC - most apartment blocks have a doorman who will accept parcels and they already have Amazon Locker and local shops who will take parcels for a small fee. But always good to see Amazon innovating

There is NOTHING good about Amazon. Hideous company intent on taking over the world whilst not paying tax and crushing all in its path, and this is from a true blue Tory and supporter of capitalism.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
whats wrong with a simple post box? i dont think this is relevent to many people who can either get delivered to work or delivery to Argos or other local shops. saw recently Doodle a shop for express purpose of having your online goods sent to. and then theres simply having a day off to accept the delivery, bear in mind we have about twice the holidays they have in the US, where a day off is a precious thing.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There is NOTHING good about Amazon. Hideous company intent on taking over the world whilst not paying tax and crushing all in its path, and this is from a true blue Tory and supporter of capitalism.

But at the same time you come on a message board which encourages us to use them and, I believe, still obtains revenue from them

NSC amazon.JPG

I don't approve of a lot of what they stand for especially their tax avoidance, but you cannot deny they do tend to come up with a lot of new products and services a lot of people rely on and other companies have copied

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
But at the same time you come on a message board which encourages us to use them and, I believe, still obtains revenue from them

View attachment 90580

I don't approve of a lot of what they stand for especially their tax avoidance, but you cannot deny they do tend to come up with a lot of new products and services a lot of people rely on and other companies have copied

You are absolutely right that they come up with some great new ideas. On the other side of the coin they do indulge in some very underhand business practices. I myself have taken calls from their Partner Associates offering the business that I work for 'a great opportunity for partnership', what this actually means is that they offer to distribute your products directly from their warehousing units, thus saving your company money on labour and premises. What actually happens is that they then harvest off all of the info about your top performing products, they then approach the manufacturing plant directly, order in massive volumes thereby getting a lower price and undercut your business. This leaves you with product that you now cannot sell in their warehouse that they are now charging you for storage on your goods. Clever? Yes. Dirty? Yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here