Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What position do you play?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How did you get on with the walking football ? I play in a few walking tournaments and there's some surprisingly good teams around.

I've never played it, it looks like it's aimed at people who are skilled at football. I was never that good, my main assets were genuine pace, two feet and, thanks to a rugby background, a relish for the physical side of the game. Walking football looks more about ball control, something I struggled with.

I'd like to play proper football with some over-50s but, sadly, that's not possible in Brighton,

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I played same position as Jamie Murphy and was fairly decent and wanted to be a footballer but my mother wanted me to be a lawyer.

I was fairly decent and used to fly past defenders because I was really quick. However I was really quite scared on the pitch and used to jump out of challenges and tackles. There was a guy in my team at youth team level. Paddy Boyle his name was and he used say to me at half time

''See if you shirk out a tackle again ya wee skinny bastart - I will boot yer balls for you , never mind the full back'' - Nice team mates I had.......................Paddy and I are still best mates to this day 40 years later and he never did boot my balls

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Anywhere but in goal. I'm more of a 5-a-side player so comfortable pretty much anywhere. I've even played CB fairly regularly in 11-a-side over the years despite being 5'9.

At my best in the attacking midfield positions though.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Midfield maestro pulling the strings... A pirlo type :)

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Started playing in goal when I was nine. Now, at 67, I’m still in goal ... in walking football.

It’s a lot more skilful and competitive than most think.

It’s one of the best things I’ve ever done. Club sessions twice a week, numerous friendlies, tournaments around the country and, just a couple of weeks ago, a tournament in Portugal!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've never played it, it looks like it's aimed at people who are skilled at football. I was never that good, my main assets were genuine pace, two feet and, thanks to a rugby background, a relish for the physical side of the game. Walking football looks more about ball control, something I struggled with.

I'd like to play proper football with some over-50s but, sadly, that's not possible in Brighton,

When playing competitively i was similar. My job was simply to stop other players playing, win the ball and give it to people who could play. However, as you get older your body just can't take the same physical abuse. If you're missing playing, go and try the walking football and then come back and tell us what you think. (It's nothing like the walking football ads you see).

Trevor Sinclair recently did a short thing about it and he was surprised by how physical it was.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Right (sometimes left) wing. Sprinting is pretty much the only "skill" I bring to a football match. I only play 6-a-side too.

I sometimes have a stint in goal too, as I'm often the token "guy with keeping gloves"

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've played most places aside from CM and CB - being one of the few naturally left footed people at work/school and (used to) have pace I was often a LW, occasionally LB if needed.

Now I'm slower, but would play in the Sheringham role - hold the ball up for a quicker player. Ideally I'd play as an attacking LWB - i like to have licence to roam.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The Lawrenson role, pacey and good game reader and tackler but the difference being I had no confidence as a ball player. Helped that pass backs to the 'keeper were allowed then.......ball over the top or down the line always ended up me knocking it back to the man in green.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I'm very much compared to Messi in my positional play. I'm not saying I'm as good as him, but a lot of people do say we have similarities. I just don't take football as seriously as him.

D

Deleted member 2719

I think I played in almost every position apart from keeper and centre forward.

Right back 65%, look out giggs you won't get past me.
left back 20%, preferred not to get to the goal line as the ball will never get crossed to the back post on my left peg!
midfield 5%, favourite position, tackling and creating.
winger 7%, my pace helped me here just think Kazenga with hamstrings!
centre back 3%, I found this the easiest position on the park as the ball just found you and you had so many options of what to do, although I was 2nd best to the header!

f##k I miss playing.:(

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Now 60 and new lease of life playing walking football every week. Usually at the back but don't mind going in goal if required!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here