Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Random advert middle of NSC

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Just tried visiting The Argus website for the first time in a while, and was greeted with this message, blocking me from reading anything:

adblock.png

Needless to say, I won't be visiting again. Their site is an absolute state without AdBlock.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just had some awful full screen Aladdin video play. Closed it down and it did it again.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
This ad can frankly do one... taking over the screen every time the mouse is moved...

Uncover the True Value of Your Customer Support Organization

Could maybe understand if was on the 'Bellcheese' thread... but fail to see any relevance to the MLS thread it took over - or any other browsing history.

At least if you're going to bombard me with ads - make them slightly relevant!

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] just had a full screen Aladdin advert pop up, on closing it its opening up full screen again.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm not a fan of it. It uglifies the board and the thread. Much like my made up word 'uglify' does to the previous sentence.

I get a sponsored thread appearing EVERY time I'm on the Big Board page. The sponsored posts are probably 1 in 10 times.

It's a little bit irritating and there's ZERO chance I'll be clicking on one (except possibly by accident)

Also, pages seem to be quite a bit slower at loading

It has now decided to become a full page advert when I try and scroll down the page.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] please stop this.

I had the same as these 2 posters, annoying.

I find the new adds surprisingly distracting. When I open the Big Board page and haven't been on for a bit, the ad thread appears as a read thread (not in bold) mixed in within unread threads in bold which is distracting. Also, as I read threads and then go back to the Big Board it often changes both position and subject so distracts again.

I can appreciate you are looking at ways of getting around ad blockers but this is much more distracting than the basic banner ads on the page.

Edit: Also, when I go back from a thread to the Big Board, the ad thread seems to load a second or two after all the other threads so have the page suddenly jumps down a bit.

Same here, realise [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is monetizing his site but all the ads do make it a turn off to use!

I don't like them

Could you run a website like this without sponsors ? i doubt it , but i think i would rather pay a yearly sub than get all this bollox plastered over the screen , certainly more VFM than a Ifollow sub , if it came down to it .

Personally I'm finding it a huge pain in the arris.

Getting right on my tits

annoyed when they pop up mid-thread....
can cope with click bait at the beginning of the big board.... but nah, prefer to pay than have these everywhere

I certainly didn't click on it, but it must have been triggered simply by my mouse moving across the add. It took a number of seconds to even find how to close the add, and then it took over the screen twice more when I navigated the thread again. Completely ****ing annoying.

Get rid of the ******* things.

Sorry to moan, but I don't like the ones appearing in the middle of threads. You're following the topic, post by post, and then you read a 'post' that says "Enjoy the spa luxury (whatever)" and you think "WTF?" Then you look at the 'poster' and you realise it's an advert. That's at the level now where it's no longer 'unobtrusive'.

This. I'd happily pay towards Bozza's expenses, but the adverts pi55 me off.

This happens on most of the football blogs that get promoted on Twitter. The second it does I unfollow the account and try not to click links to it. I'm all for a bit of advertising because I believe content providers need to be paid, but these massive take over ads are an instant red card for the site. Obviously I'd give NSC a bit more leeway than that but, if it happened regularly, I'd post and view far less.

That said this has not happened to me on NSC!

First time I've had this, but I'm now being diverted to ads popping on new tabs in Explorer every 2-3 mins whilst on here - [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] this is bloody annoying.........................probably me being a luddite, is there a way to block them (or are we about to get an offer to subscribe to 'NSC Premium - The ad-free BHA Forum', yours for £20 a month etc)

Edit - [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] - looks like same thing, same time.

It's becoming a pain in the arris

Wasnt to fussed with the new adds, until i just tried to get onto the board and was instantly redirected to a Virgin atlantic careers site without clicking on anything.

The ads are flicking the signed in desktop user to a new window/tab in Explorer - every minute or two. It’s borderline unusable already. Ads for x-box for me mostly, even though I have no interest in gaming.

Tapatalk is fine, although you don’t seem to be able to start a new thread because it says ‘prefix needed’ but there is no button to add one.

The ads through the threads are fine.

The ads with videos at the top and bottom of the screen are making it unusable. It kicks flipping to the bottom of the page every few seconds.

Almost unusable now, shame really.

Just had some awful full screen Aladdin video play. Closed it down and it did it again.

This ad can frankly do one... taking over the screen every time the mouse is moved...

Uncover the True Value of Your Customer Support Organization

Could maybe understand if was on the 'Bellcheese' thread... but fail to see any relevance to the MLS thread it took over - or any other browsing history.

At least if you're going to bombard me with ads - make them slightly relevant!

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] just had a full screen Aladdin advert pop up, on closing it its opening up full screen again.

My laptop just started playing music and a firestick ad. Then again. Had close browser to shut up. Nsc was the only page open

This is going well then.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
.... and another thing. I was reading the thread about the terrible death of Jillian Howell. Sombre tributes and then: "Hey, why don't you come and see Disney's Aladdin? Yeah, brilliant! Fun fun fun!" Jarring and utterly out of keeping with the tone of the thread. If a regular poster had stuck that into a 'serious' thread they'd have been roundly abused and then banned.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
.... and another thing. I was reading the thread about the terrible death of Jillian Howell. Sombre tributes and then: "Hey, why don't you come and see Disney's Aladdin? Yeah, brilliant! Fun fun fun!" Jarring and utterly out of keeping with the tone of the thread. If a regular poster had stuck that into a 'serious' thread they'd have been roundly abused and then banned.

Yes, at least make it look different, so it's obviously not part of the thread.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was fine on the Big Board, but wanted to read Exile's match report, which opened in a new tab. It was unreadable because a grid of pictures opened up in the middle, covering most of the text. There wasn't an X to close it, so I had to close the tab, and try twice before I could actually read it, without intrusions.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Sorry to say it, but I've reenabled adblock on the site. I could ignore the banner ads, but the new stickies are really distracting. On my tablet (which isn't the fastest), when going to the Big Board page (including going back from any thread) the ad usually loads 3-5 seconds after the main page has finished which means every thread shifts down a bit. I've already clicked the wrong thread several times, and when reading a thread it isn't always obviously which post is an ad - more than once I've had to read it again to try and work out what the point is, only to realise it is an ad.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Keep getting cancer adverts popping up which I'm finding quite upsetting at the moment as my wife is fighting this horrible desease, don't really won't to be reminded of it every time I open a thread

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
All these issues being reported are ones I've seen reported on other forums (and much larger ones than NSC) as well. It looks to me like one of two things (possibly both):

1. The ad providers who serve the ads into the site aren't doing enough due diligence to ensure the ads conform to the requirements of the site owner.

2. The companies creating the ads have found ways to create them that "cheat" due diligence tests by the ad providers and behave differently once served to a browser than they do in pre-release test conditions.

Whatever it is, it's not just NSC where it's happening. I've seen it elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here