Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] QPR Ruling

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
So, about those "one or two players", Harry ???

[tweet]923499932513964032[/tweet]

[tweet]923500261758382081[/tweet]

[tweet]923500521721393152[/tweet]

:lolol: :clap:

Quality digging there..!

I like this bit at the end:

"I don't know what the solution would be. I don't know how it all works out and what the guidelines to fair play are. That's up to people who run the football club. Managers have very little say in transfer dealings and transfers these days.

"QPR is a great club with great support. I'm sure this will drag on and I don't know the jurisdiction of it all. I don't know how it happened and how it was allowed to happen"

So he just doesn't know ANYTHING, but it's really unfair.. :wozza:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am interested about how Wolves, Villa, Derby, Sheff Wed etc..are managing to keep to the FFP rules (big-spending and PL-type wages in the Championship)

Wednesday are struggling to comply now, being in the third year of the rolling cycle, after two huge spending years. Hence they couldn't go bananas on spending again this summer just gone. Got that off of owlstalk.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Quality digging there..!

I like this bit at the end:

"I don't know what the solution would be. I don't know how it all works out and what the guidelines to fair play are. That's up to people who run the football club. Managers have very little say in transfer dealings and transfers these days.

"QPR is a great club with great support. I'm sure this will drag on and I don't know the jurisdiction of it all. I don't know how it happened and how it was allowed to happen"

So he just doesn't know ANYTHING, but it's really unfair.. :wozza:

I forget, is it Rosie the dog with the chequebook or Mrs. Redknapp? I think from memory that Mrs. R was on texting detail.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Wednesday are struggling to comply now, being in the third year of the rolling cycle, after two huge spending years. Hence they couldn't go bananas on spending again this summer just gone. Got that off of owlstalk.

Derby also had to cut down. Wolves are chancing it big time but seems to be working out well, **** knows about villa.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"The team I got promoted with, people like Bobby Zamora, Joey Barton, [Armand] Traore, Clint Hill, Rob Green in goal, Nedham Onuoha, they were there already. They weren't players that I brought in. They got promoted with a team of players that were already there. It was only one or two signings [that I made].
Wow. He's a walking farce.

Wolves are chancing it big time but seems to be working out well
Maybe Wolves haven't been spending so much in recent years, so they're able to give it a go this time, whereas you'd expect Derby et al to be cutting back, as they appear to have been going for it for years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"But that season Harry Redknapp gave first team appearances to 39 players. He presided over a squad with a wage bill of £77.3m for the season, the highest amount ever paid by a second tier club in the history of football in this country" :lol:

"Obviously £58m is an unworkable and disproportionate fine" - no it isn't!
"While it would make sense to apply the new rules retrospectively" - no it wouldn't. How can that possibly make sense?
" Simply put, you cannot legally impose fines on a business that threaten the existence of the business itself." - what bullshit.
"A fine of £58m for a business of QPR’s current turnover, the club will argue, is disproportionate" The fine was made when they were earning PL TB money, plus the parachute payments. The only reason it now seems disproportionate is because they didn't ****ing pay it!

Is this shit written by a QPR fan? Oh, yes it is :rolleyes:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maybe Wolves haven't been spending so much in recent years, so they're able to give it a go this time, whereas you'd expect Derby et al to be cutting back, as they appear to have been going for it for years.

I think you're right.

Derby, like Wednesday, have been on a huge wages/fees spending spree for several seasons. Their Ex PL players would be on wages at a multiple of those we were paying in 2016/17 and we probably made an unprecedented loss. Derby are still at, with new recruits such as Huddlestone on big money.

Whereas Wolves only really got going this summer. They're unrecognisable from the first eleven we outclassed at Molyneux last Easter.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Derby also had to cut down. Wolves are chancing it big time but seems to be working out well, **** knows about villa.

What you seem to be saying is that after a few years of FFP legislation, some sides are in danger of paying the price of their on-going gamble. Those whose gamble failed are now having to take drastic action to avoid being fined - with this impacting on their ability to compete.

We really could see a shift in the group of teams pushing for promotion couldn't we. Is this where those teams coming down will benefit from the impact of (even bigger) parachute payments as established Championship "big clubs" are being forced to cut back?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
What you seem to be saying is that after a few years of FFP legislation, some sides are in danger of paying the price of their on-going gamble. Those whose gamble failed are now having to take drastic action to avoid being fined - with this impacting on their ability to compete.

We really could see a shift in the group of teams pushing for promotion couldn't we. Is this where those teams coming down will benefit from the impact of (even bigger) parachute payments as established Championship "big clubs" are being forced to cut back?

That’s why it was so important to go up last year.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I think you're right.

Derby, like Wednesday, have been on a huge wages/fees spending spree for several seasons. Their Ex PL players would be on wages at a multiple of those we were paying in 2016/17 and we probably made an unprecedented loss. Derby are still at, with new recruits such as Huddlestone on big money.

Whereas Wolves only really got going this summer. They're unrecognisable from the first eleven we outclassed at Molyneux last Easter.

Not quite, they did spend £7m last summer on Ivan Cavaleiro and £13m in January on Helder Costa, but yes, only really gone for it in the last 15 months with the new owners, so have this and next season to have a go before they have to reign back.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

That is a great article, very well-explained and no real fan bias there, other than love for his club.

There is no easy way out of this, the fine is ridiculously large, I can only assume because the FL never thought they would have to impose it, that the threat itself was sufficient. Fines are much lower now, and a fine of 8-9m would probably have been paid. There's no way QPR can pay £58m without ceasing to be a viable football team - and as the point of FFP is to stop teams going bust, pushing them that way through a fine for failing FFP is punitive and self-defeating in the extreme. the FL doesn't want to back down, but I bet there is a lot of hand-wringing about why they ever decided it was a good idea to levy that size of fine.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
That is a great article, very well-explained and no real fan bias there, other than love for his club.

There is no easy way out of this, the fine is ridiculously large, I can only assume because the FL never thought they would have to impose it, that the threat itself was sufficient. Fines are much lower now, and a fine of 8-9m would probably have been paid. There's no way QPR can pay £58m without ceasing to be a viable football team - and as the point of FFP is to stop teams going bust, pushing them that way through a fine for failing FFP is punitive and self-defeating in the extreme. the FL doesn't want to back down, but I bet there is a lot of hand-wringing about why they ever decided it was a good idea to levy that size of fine.

I imagine they never thought of a scenario where a club was stupid enough to have a wage bill of double their turnover !!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
"Obviously £58m is an unworkable and disproportionate fine" - no it isn't!
"While it would make sense to apply the new rules retrospectively" - no it wouldn't. How can that possibly make sense?
" Simply put, you cannot legally impose fines on a business that threaten the existence of the business itself." - what bullshit.
"A fine of £58m for a business of QPR’s current turnover, the club will argue, is disproportionate" The fine was made when they were earning PL TB money, plus the parachute payments. The only reason it now seems disproportionate is because they didn't ****ing pay it!

Is this shit written by a QPR fan? Oh, yes it is :rolleyes:

Quite. I thought it was a whiny, self-pitying article, completely missing the point, as Trig, says that they had the PL money and didn't spend it on the fine. He also moans about the cost of lawyers, completely ignoring the fact that it's been QPR who have dragged this out for two years (and are still dragging it out, notching up more legal fees).

And then there's this: "So, is it to protect the clubs from themselves? Stopping some rich idiot coming in, splashing cash on players, failing, leaving the club to collapse into administration? Officially, yes. The Football League are jolly pleased that a spate of clubs collapsing into administration, of which Harvey was CEO at two, has abated and point to that as success. But how is fining a member club that’s actually got its house in order and started to behave properly £40m+ safeguarding its future?"

This is spectacularly missing the point. It may not safeguard QPR's future but the fine does serve as an example to other clubs. If the FL relented and let them off most of it, not only would the clubs who have been fined have a case for legal action, but we'd be back at square one with companies mounting up debts and going into admin again - QPR serves as a warning to other clubs.

Personally, I think they should pay a smaller fine but also be fined one league position for the size of the fine. So, if the eventual fine was £50m, they'd drop 50 league places next season. So, if they finished 19th in the division, they'd drop to the National Premier. That way QPR wouldn't go out of business but would serve a condign punishment. It won't happen though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally, I think they should pay a smaller fine
I agree with you up until there. They knew the rules, and decided they were wealthy enough to ignore them. The fine should be over £50m. Although I do think you make a good point, that if a fine would push them into administration, maybe a couple of relegations could be offered as an alternative.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nonsense, it's completely biased.

There is no easy way out of this, the fine is ridiculously large
The fine matches the overspend. Normal clubs don't throw money around like that.

There's no way QPR can pay £58m without ceasing to be a viable football team
Then how were they able to justify a £70m loss in their bid for promotion? That's £70m on top of the parachute payments they were receiving.
and as the point of FFP is to stop teams going bust, pushing them that way through a fine for failing FFP is punitive and self-defeating in the extreme.
To not impose the fine would encourage other teams to break the rules, so it would lead to more teams going bust.

the FL doesn't want to back down, but I bet there is a lot of hand-wringing about why they ever decided it was a good idea to levy that size of fine.
Remember the fine is supposed to be paid by clubs that are promoted - that's clubs that receive the huge PL windfall, so it's affordable.

Still, if it would really put them into admin, then stick them in the forth division with a transfer embargo instead. Cheats.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] is clearly the best qualified pwrson to talk about this. I assume he's busy on the telly or radio currently.

Sorry missed the thread!

The Doomsday scenario posted by QPR fans is a smokescreen. QPR's owners are worth an estimated £16 billion between them, so paying a £50m+ fine is easily affordable to them, as was paying the high level of wages during 2013/14. The club claimed that FFP rules were illegal, which is an irrelevance, as they were the internal rules of a member's club, the Football League, and QPR applied to be a member of that club when they were relegated from the Premier League, fully knowing the rules.

QPR FFP Comment.JPG

During 2016/17 the QPR board wrote off loans of £180.7 million, so the fine is still small beer compared to that.

The comment from the QPR board shows the arrogance of the super rich. They take the view that normal rules don't apply to them, and that they can use legal vultures to bully others into submission. Fair play to the Football League for standing up to this treatment and not caving in.

The three years it has taken does show the folly of such rules though, as it has taken three years to reach a judgement, and if QPR were still in the Premier League the fine would probably be unenforceable until the club was relegated. This is because the PL and FL are separate bodies.

Between 2011 and 2016 QPR have made a total loss of £234 million, before taking into account the £60m unusual accounting practice in 2013/14 where directors wrote off £60m of loans and claimed it as a negative expense in the accounts to comply with FFP.

QPR Summary 2011-16.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here