Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Teville Gate

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Once in a while, I have occasion to walk through 'Teville Gate' (to rhyme with weevil hate, I'm led to believe), immediately outside Worthing Station.

I believe it was once described at the 'worst Town Centre area' in the country - even though it doesn't appear to be in the middle of the town centre. I was wondering what was supposed to be happening to it, so looked it up, and it appears to be a long sorry saga of developers making promises and reneging, councillors tinkering at the fringes, and not much will to improve it.

This appears to be the latest news... http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/new...-plans-boost-hopes-for-teville-gate-1-8147743

For those who know better - what is happening? Have the locals not formed themselves into some kind of action committee? Is pressure being applied to the developers? It appears very forlorn and forgotten, especially as the potential is surely enormous.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very little from what I can tell. Isn't as horrific as it once looked. Shop closures spread like a virus, and it genuinely looked like something from a war torn country at one point a few years back, rubble was just left there for quite a long time after the buildings were demolished.

A bowling alley/cinema was mooted, but never got anywhere. Is a shame as is right at the entrance to the town so isn't the best first impression.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Many suggestions have been put forward and short of demolishing it all and starting again I would suggest a P & R to ease the parking in the town by making some of the roads around by what was The Odeon no vehicle access during the day and deliveries not made between 10am and 5pm. As far as parking for the town in general it is too far for many of the older residents to walk so they dont bother. I think the only other possible option would be keep the car park and build a superstore for Asda or similar.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This has been going on for as long as the A27 bypass / non-bypass thing.

A pretty poor legacy of numerous councils who have failed to bring about anything worthwhile.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It annoys me to hear a radio station like Splash as it was, calling it Teville as in egg Gate. My middle son had a girlfriend who moved to Worthing and a friend of hers was a presenter on Splash and she used to argue that the pronunciation was definitely Teville as in egg and me being a local of some 60 years standing at the time born and bred just off Teville Rd didnt kinow.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Whatever happens to it I'm convinced it will not be in my lifetime. A long history of incompetence,corruption & vested interests is not going to stop any time soon.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
There's just no investment. Same goes for most seaside towns now. Huge savings must be made by the council, and no one wants to put money into such a big project. Housing is most likely, but even the consultancy phase will cost a bomb and take an eternity.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
There's actually some more recent news than that. It seems things are actually progressing, finally. Public consultation on 9 + 10 Nov. A 'mixed-used development' to be completed by 2020 (I'll believe it when I see it!)

25th September: http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/new...atest-chapter-in-site-s-development-1-8167210

2nd October: http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/business/teville-gate-consultation-dates-revealed-1-8177224

19th October: http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/new...developer-announces-site-s-new-name-1-8204302

It will no longer be called Teville Gate. To be rennamed 'Station Square'. Planning application to be submitted by the end of November.

New website: http://ourstationsquare.com/

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
How many on here remember when Railway Approach was a through road to Chapel Road. Two places stick in my mind, Smallbones for car parts and a very popular cafe I believe was called Pops.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Once in a while, I have occasion to walk through 'Teville Gate' (to rhyme with weevil hate, I'm led to believe), immediately outside Worthing Station.

I believe it was once described at the 'worst Town Centre area' in the country - even though it doesn't appear to be in the middle of the town centre. I was wondering what was supposed to be happening to it, so looked it up, and it appears to be a long sorry saga of developers making promises and reneging, councillors tinkering at the fringes, and not much will to improve it.

This appears to be the latest news... http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/new...-plans-boost-hopes-for-teville-gate-1-8147743

For those who know better - what is happening? Have the locals not formed themselves into some kind of action committee? Is pressure being applied to the developers? It appears very forlorn and forgotten, especially as the potential is surely enormous.

As you say TLO the correct way to pronounce it is to rhyme with weevil hate. I'm sure the people who insist in calling it incorrectly don't even know the reason the road is called Teville Road. I know anyone else?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How many on here remember when Railway Approach was a through road to Chapel Road. Two places stick in my mind, Smallbones for car parts and a very popular cafe I believe was called Pops.

Also Greens the Pork Butchers. Prior to decimalisation Pops sold a cup of tea for 5d and a cheese roll for 7d but when decimalisation came about it became 5p and 7p doubling in price.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As you say TLO the correct way to pronounce it is to rhyme with weevil hate. I'm sure the people who insist in calling it incorrectly don't even know the reason the road is called Teville Road. I know anyone else?

For the sake of instant gratification, I looked it up and the only thing I could find was the references to the Teville Stream, though that in itself doesn't explain where the word 'Teville' comes from.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Teville stream runs underground the length of Teville Road but as TLO says it doesnt indicate where the name comes from or why it is pronounced as in we not as in egg. Teville Road was dug up completely in early 60s and my dad was working at The Clifton doing some plumbing and took me to see it but I must admit I have forgotten how he said it got its name. Was it named after an old Lord or similar?

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Blimey, is that monstrosity still there?

I used to go to St Andrews school and had the displeasure of walking through there also. What a dump. Just reduce it to rubble, that would be better to look at.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A google search shows that the origin of the name is unknown but a local historian thinks it came from Tevill Common which was branched on 2 sides by the stream.

Here is the search find

The name Teville is of unknown origin, although according to local historian Robert Elleray, the stream is named after the Tevill or Teevil common which was enclosed by two branches of the stream.[10] Other sources state the Teville Common was named after the stream[11] The Teville Gate shopping centre (waiting to be demolished and the site of a proposed major development) was named after the Teville Gate tollgate for the turnpike road from Worthing northwards across the stream. The stream was once known as the Selbourne or Selborne, as evidenced by two locations on the stream's route - Selbourne Terrace, which stands on Teville Road, and Selborne Road, in which Davison High School lies. It was also known for a while as Town Mead Ditch, after a common known as Town Mead that lay near the Teville common.

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The stream has been diverted underground. It used to feed the ornamental lake in Homefied Park and now surfaces in the lake at Brooklands.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The school?

I went to the one in Sackville Road. Towards East Worthing.

It was only a marginal improvement on Teville Gate. I may have learned more at Teville Gate (with the exception of Mr Smith the Maths teacher and Merv the pottery teacher.)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here