Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Wifi Extender

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
Having just bought a new smart tv i now find it won’t reconise my wifi, its fitted other end of the house. But it will pick up the neighbors.
Short of breaking in and stealing his wifi code i guess i need an extender/booster.
Looking for a reasonably priced one that would do the job. Currently looking at a Netgear 3700.
Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've found them to useless. Since if the signal can't get to where you want how will the extender ?

I've a ceiling rose access point in the centre of the house which is hard wired into the router.

However I understand the ones that run over the mains are much better than they used to be if you do a bit of research.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Got the netgear one which runs off the mains. Connect the smart TV via Ethernet at the back end of the house which is 90% of the problem I had buy also acts as a WiFi hotspot too. Very pleased.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you should be able to assign a wifi channel, if you fix yours to someting not used by the neighbour, this should at least remove the conflict with them and hopfully improve your range (because the device isnt searching for strongest signal, its searching on channel). theres a phone app that can show the wifi channels in us and how strong they are. not sure how you selec the channel though as ive not actually had to do this myself.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Having just bought a new smart tv i now find it won’t reconise my wifi, its fitted other end of the house. But it will pick up the neighbors.
Short of breaking in and stealing his wifi code i guess i need an extender/booster.
Looking for a reasonably priced one that would do the job. Currently looking at a Netgear 3700.
Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Get yourself some 'long-ass wire' to connect your tv straight to your hub.

You can get 'long-ass wire' in the form of very long and very thin Ethernet cable.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Get yourself some 'long-ass wire' to connect your tv straight to your hub.

You can get 'long-ass wire' in the form of very long and very thin Ethernet cable.
Take a look at mesh WiFi from Netgear, Asus and Google. Then check plugin power options, finally see if you can run a cable through the house.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Look at the TPLink ones that go over your electrics. As long as your circuits are relatively good nick and on the same ring should be fine. Worked fine for me and I stream a lot on my tv. I use the TP Link AV500

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Get some powerline adapters turn your plug sockets into ethernet points and you'll be able to hardwire your telly to t'internet rather than bother with wifi at all. Pair of TP link adapters will only set you back £30. (Like others have already said!).

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
In a fixed network, radio should be absolutely the last resort.
Run a cable and you'll have no problems.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Take a look at mesh WiFi from Netgear, Asus and Google. Then check plugin power options, finally see if you can run a cable through the house.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I got a pair of the Google WiFi mesh things a few months ago to cover some dead patches in my house and they've been great. Easy to setup, rock solid and I've now got coverage throughout the house without trailing wires everywhere or using those powerline connectors which I've had trouble with in the past. They've also got some nice features in the app like being able to prioritise traffic to certain devices and lock down others (great if you've got kids and want piece of mind)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Get some powerline adapters turn your plug sockets into ethernet points and you'll be able to hardwire your telly to t'internet rather than bother with wifi at all. Pair of TP link adapters will only set you back £30. (Like others have already said!).

This, definitely this. I’m still amazed at how many people don’t know they exist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here