Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Queen is Dead - The Smiths

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I know it is/was maybe cool to love the Smiths but I couldn't stand their music

I honestly don't think many Smiths fans got into them because they were cool, I think it was because they spoke to a type of teenager who probably wasn't cool. I loved them because I felt that a lot of songs expressed how I felt but I'll hold by hand up and say Morrissey's arrogance and bitchiness undoubtedly rubbed off on a lot of Smiths fans, it certainly did with me at the time and probably was a major factor in them being so Marmite. Listening now, I think a lot of the songs hold up very well 30 years on, Johnny Marr's genius playing a huge part in that and I can still enjoy them for being great songs.

I'm not a big fan of much of Morrissey's solo work, he still has the ability to come out with a brilliant tune but I can't recall any since First of the Gang to Die and that must be over 10 years ago now. He's also become a caricature and quite unlikeable as a person but I still find it quite easy to separate the music from the person because so many of the songs are (in my opinion) so good.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I honestly don't think many Smiths fans got into them because they were cool, I think it was because they spoke to a type of teenager who probably wasn't cool. I loved them because I felt that a lot of songs expressed how I felt but I'll hold by hand up and say Morrissey's arrogance and bitchiness undoubtedly rubbed off on a lot of Smiths fans, it certainly did with me at the time and probably was a major factor in them being so Marmite. Listening now, I think a lot of the songs hold up very well 30 years on, Johnny Marr's genius playing a huge part in that and I can still enjoy them for being great songs.

I'm not a big fan of much of Morrissey's solo work, he still has the ability to come out with a brilliant tune but I can't recall any since First of the Gang to Die and that must be over 10 years ago now. He's also become a caricature and quite unlikeable as a person but I still find it quite easy to separate the music from the person because so many of the songs are (in my opinion) so good.
I can see where you're coming from - and fair enough.

I could never just get past the image of a miserable twonk with a bunch of daffodils sticking out of the back of his pants. Maybe if they'd made their records before the age of he video I'd have appreciated them more!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This with gold plated knobs on. Minor difference - I was in my mid 20s when they started and a bit removed from teeenage anxt, but I was living in Canada at the time and it was the exquisite Englishness that sucked me in, homesick as I was. Which is, I suppose, ironic.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I can see where you're coming from - and fair enough.

I could never just get past the image of a miserable twonk with a bunch of daffodils sticking out of the back of his pants. Maybe if they'd made their records before the age of the video I'd have appreciated them more!

It’s a teenage angst thing.

In the words of the late Sean Hughes:

“Everyone grows out of their Morrissey phase … except Morrissey.”

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was lucky enough to see their early gig at Brighton Poly in about May 1984. (the tour where the daffodils were in abundance).

A great night of very unique tracks and a young Marr starring.

All the later indie bands talk of Joy Division and The Smiths as the being ground breaking influences.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Misunderstood I'd say, a shy, introverted, extremely socially awkward person, who perversely fronted a band in spite of all that. I can see why that would be taken as arrogance, people with those traits are often taken for being aloof and 'cool' when the real reason behind it and why they alienate people is that doing that is easier than trying to cope with situations and people that they simply can't cope with, a side effect of the mental condition/affliction. Why do you think the guy lives like a hermit?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I absolutely loved the Smiths but anyone who thinks this is one of the greatest albums of all time is having a giraffe. Lots of filler - Vicar in a Tutu, Frankly Mr Shankly, Some Girls.... all pretty awful. Best Smiths album/compilation - Hatful of Hollow. Great collection of their early material and perfect soundtrack for feeling sorry for yourself in your student bedsit.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Misunderstood I'd say, a shy, introverted, extremely socially awkward person, who perversely fronted a band in spite of all that. I can see why that would be taken as arrogance, people with those traits are often taken for being aloof and 'cool' when the real reason behind it and why they alienate people is that doing that is easier than trying to cope with situations and people that they simply can't cope with, a side effect of the mental condition/affliction. Why do you think the guy lives like a hermit?

Fair enough, I don't know if it's an act or not and he's clearly a complex character so I could well be wrong there.

I've no problems at all about his views on the Royals, The Falklands or vegetarianism. I don't agree with them but I can see where he's coming from and esp. with the vegetarianism, you can only admire his passion and commitment. It's the comments, lyrics, song titles and imagery he's used throughout his career about race and immigration, changing British culture and the politics around that, that I find difficult to give him a pass on.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I absolutely loved the Smiths but anyone who thinks this is one of the greatest albums of all time is having a giraffe. Lots of filler - Vicar in a Tutu, Frankly Mr Shankly, Some Girls.... all pretty awful. Best Smiths album/compilation - Hatful of Hollow. Great collection of their early material and perfect soundtrack for feeling sorry for yourself in your student bedsit.

Always been my favourite Smiths 'album'. I didn't even realise it wasn't a proper album for years.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The Smiths album I would take to my desert island is the compilation The World Won't Listen. Seamless.

Louder than bombs is another good compilation. At the start of their success they seemed to have more compilations released than actual albums

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don't know anything about this angst thing, I enjoy their music for the quality of the musicianship, quirky lyrics and alternative subject matter.
I also enjoy listening to Morrissey's voice, as it it is very melodic.
I would love to do 'Ask' but the rest of the band just raise their eyebrows, I'm working on it though.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The smiths- massively overrated band in the same way new order are, neither are a patch on Wham , Spandau Ballet or Duran Duran for that matter !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here