Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Finally gone Sky

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Sounds pretty good.. I have Sky Q Multiscreen with the 2TB box, and 3 mini-boxes, along with Sports, Box Sets (to include HD channels) and Sky Cinema - plus the premium to watch sport in HD (despite UHD being free) - £86 per month total! Add onto that BT Sport HD which is something like another £25 per month. And then add the Virgin broadband onto that for something like £48... so something like £150 a month for the whole package. Ouch.
Phone up BT Sport, tell them you want to cancel and there more than half the cost for 18 months. My BT Sport is £10.99 including the hd sub.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
To help people like me who dont know, what is Kodi and how do you obtain it.

Oh BG, that's a whole new thread for you :wink:. Basically Kodi is a software app/program that allows you to file share ( legally ). There are add ons ( not legal ) which allow you to share premium tv content at a fraction of the price or even free. You will have to look up how to download Kodi onto your tablet/computer ( It's very easy and there are step by step video instrucions on Youtube ).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh BG, that's a whole new thread for you :wink:. Basically Kodi is a software app/program that allows you to file share ( legally ). There are add ons ( not legal ) which allow you to share premium tv content at a fraction of the price or even free. You will have to look up how to download Kodi onto your tablet/computer ( It's very easy and there are step by step video instrucions on Youtube ).

Thanks for that I assumed, obviously wrongly, that it was a usb stick that was inserted like my Roku into the back of the tv.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Thanks for that I assumed, obviously wrongly, that it was a usb stick that was inserted like my Roku into the back of the tv.

You can if you wish load it onto your Roku or buy the Kodi app preloaded onto a Roku/Amazon stick or a media box that is plug and play via Ebay or Amazon. Quite cheap as well.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The cost of that package sounds about right.

I pay a similar amount though I don't have a Sky Q box but I do have all the channels in HD.

I've used various streaming options online for years and just decided in the end all the faffing to find watchable streams wasn't worth it. It's nice to have all the sporting options on tap as I find myself watching things I wouldn't have gone out of my way to find a stream for before. Its also helped that I'm more interested in the Premier League this season than I've ever been before!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm a bit old school and have put off having Sky for years, basically on grounds of cost and time [consumed watching TV].

There's been a Sky sales station in the middle of our town [indoor] shopping centre for yonks and I was still a bit miffed this morning whilst being dragged round the shops by Mrs SS that the dodgy stream I finally hooked into last night had more pauses / freezes than a I could bear [3 x 10 seconds every minute].

So I've signed up ....

£20 installation and then £15 p/m for the "Original Bundle" and "All Sports" for a tenner [all non-HD] - other Sky stuff bundled in [My Sky, Sky Q, Sky+, Sky Go, Sky News, Sky Store, Sky Atlantic, On Demand, Catch Up TV and a Sky Q 1TB box] So £35 per month total fixed for 18 months - is this a good deal? [I can still cancel]

I get this is a loss-leader sale for them and that in 18 months time they'll want to switch me to a standard tariff but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Do you have BT Sport too?

If not, are you tempted? (They might cover other Albion away games).

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
If somebody was considering either BT or Sky which would you suggest is best price and value wise and most beneficial to Brighton fans for games.
You could get Virgin's Full House package, which includes BT Sports, then a Roku box/stick to watch Sky Sports games at £6.99 a game on Now TV (actually 24 hours coverage, so you could see other games too).

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
I am in France at the moment a d need to do something, obviously my ip address is an issue. Ok have tried a fire stick, with no joy, even my Kindle doesn't play the stuff I have downloaded in the UK. I would love catch up / iPlayer. I do not understand how to hide or have a different ip any advice? Thanks in advance

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I am in France at the moment a d need to do something, obviously my ip address is an issue. Ok have tried a fire stick, with no joy, even my Kindle doesn't play the stuff I have downloaded in the UK. I would love catch up / iPlayer. I do not understand how to hide or have a different ip any advice? Thanks in advance

Sign up to IP Vanish .... the rest really is very straightforward, you just tell it where in the world you want to be 'connected' from

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Thanks for sharing all your experiences ...

Seems like in all things, depends what you're really after - for example, I've managed all my life without Sky Atlantic but I'm hearing that Game of Thrones is something I ought to be watching [just one example] - and now I can.

Ashes series kicks off down under next month - can see me watching plenty of this.

Re the Sky BT question: I've just cancelled my four-year BT Broadband contract to move to EE - BT were charging me £5 per month for it and I watched 2 football matches [both recent Brighton] in all of those 4 years - doubt I'll miss it ....

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
subscription to a streaming service, sportsdonkey

That seems really cheap. I'm currently running Kodi on a Pi in Japan. Using Sportsdevil it does the trick but streams are bit lowD and sometimes choppy. Does the Pi run HD no probs with a good stream? I always thought it would struggle with 1080p stream running for 2 hours non-stop. It's a tiny little machine after all. Looking at the SportsDonkey site, to get near the price you quoted you gotta pay for a year up front. That seems a bit dodgy given that this is basically an illegal service that could get shut down any time. I might stump up a fiver for the next game though....See how the service is. I see the prices are quoted in pounds so it's a UK based service. Can't see why it wouldn't work for overseas based fans as well though......

Interesting....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
That seems really cheap. I'm currently running Kodi on a Pi in Japan. Using Sportsdevil it does the trick but streams are bit lowD and sometimes choppy. Does the Pi run HD no probs with a good stream? I always thought it would struggle with 1080p stream running for 2 hours non-stop. It's a tiny little machine after all. Looking at the SportsDonkey site, to get near the price you quoted you gotta pay for a year up front. That seems a bit dodgy given that this is basically an illegal service that could get shut down any time. I might stump up a fiver for the next game though....See how the service is. I see the prices are quoted in pounds so it's a UK based service. Can't see why it wouldn't work for overseas based fans as well though......

Interesting....

I got a 15% discount code (just did a google search). I'm running a Pi3 for my media stuff (streaming and playing stuff off the home server - also a Pi) and it copes with 1080 absolutely fine.
I watched the sky game on Friday in HD. I think there was a couple of seconds buffering. You can also watch on the web via a browser to see if streams ok to you before investing in a Pi.
I do read of people having buffering but its almost always when on wifi; my Pi and desktop use wired connections

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here