Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewis Dunk for England.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
dk-composite-620-2-gareth-southgate.jpg

I haven't been in the water for a swim lately but I just might have to go in for a Dunk.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Was going to put £5 on this at the weekend @12/1 and didn’t get around to it, best odds are now 6/1 :/

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
And led to him scoring a goal at Fulham.

Oh was how amazing that was. Have you ever seen a central defender do that? Dribbling the ball through the heart of midfield, setting up a strike on goal then following up to head in the rebound and to win the game. Just immense. He is the best English centre back by a mile and is destined to be a star player at a big club and playing for his country

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Oh was how amazing that was. Have you ever seen a central defender do that? Dribbling the ball through the heart of midfield, setting up a strike on goal then following up to head in the rebound and to win the game. Just immense. He is the best English centre back by a mile and is destined to be a star player at a big club and playing for his country

Hasn't he already achieved that?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hasn't he already achieved that?
No. We're a provincial club, not dissimilar to around 30 others in this country. There are probably only 10 clubs at most I'd consider big clubs, and of those there are one or two (Villa, Leeds) who are obviously not remotely good enough at the moment to bring in Dunk.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Think Mawson at Swansea will get in ahead of Lewis, he's been playing PL football for longer and has been in and around the U21's. It's a shame as Lewis is probably more deserving of a call-up but really can't see him getting until after the 2018 World Cup, once he has a whole season of PL football under his belt.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
United
City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Spurs
Liverpool

Those are pretty much the ONLY unquestionably 'big clubs' by all criteria you could choose to use.

Everyone else falls down somewhere, whether that be recent success, profile, gates, PL stability, ground, etc.

Plenty of others who are CURRENTLY bigger than us (Everton, Leicester, etc) of course, and others with the POTENTIAL to be so (Newcastle, Leeds, etc.)

But outside of pure financial considerations, I'd be surprised if Dunk (and his advisors) saw a move to any Premier League side outside those six, as particularly attractive at this time. He's only going to consider a move to a club that can offer him:

1. Higher wages
2. Better England prospects
3. A chance of silverware
4. 'Guaranteed' PL place

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
It's too early, however if a couple of players are injured he would get in as sadly Cahill whose absolutely shocking gets in as he plays for a big club.

Jones, maguire, dunk should be our back three if he goes for this new formation which I think he will. However it will be Cahill jones keane with smalling and maguire as the two back ups.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
It's too early, however if a couple of players are injured he would get in as sadly Cahill whose absolutely shocking gets in as he plays for a big club.

Jones, maguire, dunk should be our back three if he goes for this new formation which I think he will. However it will be Cahill jones keane with smalling and maguire as the two back ups.

Don't forget Stones.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its too early, Lewis has played precisely TWO games against top six opposition in the premier league, conceding four goals, one of which he scored himself. Southgate must be watching him, but whilst clean sheets against West Brom and raking crossfield passes against Southampton are all well and good, lets see him do it for a bit longer.

Only reason GS would do it is if he really sees Dunk as a contender for a world cup place, but that seems unlikely

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Always a dilemma for the England manager at a time like this. Does he experiment or give more game time to his first choice picks? Pretty sure other national teams only rest a couple of players at time like this.
Lewis may well get a call but I doubt if he will get any game time just yet. That would be very encouraging for him to get the call while playing for us. Just hope it doesn’t turn his head, mixing with the highly paid players of the top six.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Talking of U21 experience, am I tripping to think Solly could be a surprise inclusion? We're thin out wide barring Sterling having the blinder of a season.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Think Mawson at Swansea will get in ahead of Lewis, he's been playing PL football for longer and has been in and around the U21's. It's a shame as Lewis is probably more deserving of a call-up but really can't see him getting until after the 2018 World Cup, once he has a whole season of PL football under his belt.

Yes, the Guardian have named Mawson as a possible. Said that Southgate has watched a few Swansea games recently. Shame our one this Saturday was too late for direct comparison.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Talking of U21 experience, am I tripping to think Solly could be a surprise inclusion? We're thin out wide barring Sterling having the blinder of a season.

TBH a part of me was expecting March to get in before Dunk as England have a fair few CBs available but not so many wingers.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick

Harry Winks and Dele All were picked after only playing a handful of games. Dunk has the potential to be as much of a regular as that pair

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here