Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewis Dunk for England.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not disputing his defensive ability just the close ball control coming out of defence, which I do not think is that good and certainly not a strong point of his.

I must just accept that perhaps my standards of achievement are higher than many on here.

What are you basing that on ? I can't remember the last time he brought the ball out of defence and got robbed, or gave it away cheaply. I'm not expecting him to dribble around 3 players and play in Solly, neither would I want him to. His close ball control is MORE than adequate enough for him to carry it into the space in front of him and use it well when the opportunity is there. He's been doing it all season.

But you're saying his ball control is not good enough ? I just don't know what you're watching.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I expect more from a ball playing CB than that, and as previously mentioned would cite Mark Lawrenson and Rio Ferdinand as examples of the best. Or as people mention him John Stones

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Nobody is arguing about Dunk improving but has he reached the point where bringing the ball out of defence under close control is one of his strong points which was the original statement by TLO that I disagreed with I dont think so

And led to him scoring a goal at Fulham.

..and led to him winning the freekick on Friday that we scored the first goal from.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Dunk has grown up immensely compared to two seasons ago. Klopp would give his right arm for him right now seeing the issues he currently has

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I don't think he [BG] has the ability to admit he is wrong. All he does is argue more until others give up!

Bloody hell, he's an American shop assistant, isn't he? Who'd have thought.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Haven't seen any faults or major weaknesses with LD so far this season.

A couple of years ago, he was a liability at times.
But he progressed immensely last season and appears to keep progressing this season. Maybe with some thanks to Duffy next to him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dunk has come on so much under Hughton this last 18 months. We shouldn't be surprised by that I suppose, because we could all see he had the ability, but its a joy to watch. The silly mistakes, rash challenges and lapses in concentration that undermined him for a while have diminished to the point now where they're barely a factor. And he's now doing it at the highest level. He's a centreback, so there will always be a mistake made at some point, but its very rare now. Hughton has been SO good for Dunk.

I've said it before, but I genuinely would not swap him for Stones. Stones is Dunk 2 years ago, a ricket waiting to happen. Dunk is the real deal.

larus

Would you agree with TLO that close ball control is one of his strongest points?

It’s all relative.

Relative to Ronaldo, Dele Ali, Solly, Knockaert, etc., then no, of course not.

Relative to most center half’s, then yes, it is a strong point, added to his passing ability too. There’s also a huge difference between occasionally losing control of the ball and regularly doing it. You are so stubborn and can never admit that you are wrong. YOu also seem to think that you are somehow superior to others on here, yet admit that your memory is bad so are in all likelihood the person who is wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I expect more from a ball playing CB than that, and as previously mentioned would cite Mark Lawrenson and Rio Ferdinand as examples of the best. Or as people mention him John Stones

You're calling him out for coming up short against two of the greatest and most gilded, decorated centrebacks in living memory....and a current International who joined the best team in the country for £50m. Crikey.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know of many who have the same misgiving as me but dont visit this site. Lets leave it at that.

3f3f01d9d3d6cc0ba90b75e83110e7a7.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You're calling him out for coming up short against two of the greatest and most gilded, decorated centrebacks in living memory....and a current International who joined the best team in the country for £50m. Crikey.

But people are saying he is far better than Stones and I do not agree. They are the ones comparing him with the best not me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I think you'll find that should have read:-

I know of many who, don't agree but really can't be bothered to voice a different opinion, who don't visit this site

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Dunk has come on so much under Hughton this last 18 months. We shouldn't be surprised by that I suppose, because we could all see he had the ability, but its a joy to watch. The silly mistakes, rash challenges and lapses in concentration that undermined him for a while have diminished to the point now where they're barely a factor. And he's now doing it at the highest level. He's a centreback, so there will always be a mistake made at some point, but its very rare now. Hughton has been SO good for Dunk.

I've said it before, but I genuinely would not swap him for Stones. Stones is Dunk 2 years ago, a ricket waiting to happen. Dunk is the real deal.

Before I leave this thread please make your mind up as to which is most relevant.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Before I leave this thread please make your mind up as to which is most relevant.

Most relevant in what way ? I've said on here before that I wouldn't swap him for Stones. You seem determined to downplay Dunks ability by drawing comparison with the highest profile CB's in the game.

The first statement of mine you highlighted, is a fact. The second statement you've highlighted of mine, is an opinion. I stand by both of them, so I'm not really getting your point tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here