Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewis Dunk for England.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I expect more from a ball playing CB than that, and as previously mentioned would cite Mark Lawrenson and Rio Ferdinand as examples of the best. Or as people mention him John Stones
Have you not witnessed any of his delicious range of passing?

He IS a ball playing centre back..

And a very VERY good one.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Have you not witnessed any of his delicious range of passing?

He IS a ball playing centre back..

And a very VERY good one.

Did you see Mark Lawrenson play?

Dunk whilst I think he should be in the England squad, because arguably on current form could well be the best English CB in the country, is still nowhere near Lawrenson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dunk has come on so much under Hughton this last 18 months. We shouldn't be surprised by that I suppose, because we could all see he had the ability, but its a joy to watch. The silly mistakes, rash challenges and lapses in concentration that undermined him for a while have diminished to the point now where they're barely a factor. And he's now doing it at the highest level. He's a centreback, so there will always be a mistake made at some point, but its very rare now. Hughton has been SO good for Dunk.

I've said it before, but I genuinely would not swap him for Stones. Stones is Dunk 2 years ago, a ricket waiting to happen. Dunk is the real deal.

Great post....

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex

Dunk whilst I think he should be in the England squad, because arguably on current form could well be the best English CB in the country, is still nowhere near Lawrenson.

No. Not live.

I didn't say he's better than Lawrenson though. Just that he's a very very good ball playing CB.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone who genuinely thinks Dunk is better than Stones is either

A) a cretin
B) knows nothing about football
C) both

I had no idea I had a congenital thyroid deficiency. I'd better get it chcked out and remedied pronto.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I watched the entire post-Preston career of Lawrenson too. He's was world class and was a club champion of Europe.

That was then.

The discussion is about Dunk now, and this relatively poor England squad (the worst in history?). If Maguire and Keane are in the frame, you can see why it's a possibility.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I wish I had short-term memory problems. Then maybe I would be able to forget the incessant amount of drivel that BG writes (or argues the toss about) just to get his post count up!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I watched the entire post-Preston career of Lawrenson too. He's was world class and was a club champion of Europe.

That was then.

The discussion is about Dunk now, and this relatively poor England squad (the worst in history?). If Maguire and Keane are in the frame, you can see why it's a possibility.

:thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

That was then.

Yes, if you look at my posts we are in agreement.

But in BG’s defence, he had cited ability on the ground as an area for an improvement, which compared to Lawrenson it clearly is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, if you look at my posts we are in agreement.

But in BG’s defence, he had cited ability on the ground as an area for an improvement, which compared to Lawrenson it clearly is.

Of course.

Lawrenson had everything, Dunk will probably never reach that rarified level.

Dunk would be his own harshest critic on any weaknesses. In an excellent interview in the matchday prog in the last year, he spoke how he’d worked on discipline. His dad told him he was wasting chunks of his lucky career sitting in the stands.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Of course.

Lawrenson had everything, Dunk will probably not reach that rarified level.

Dunk would be his own harshest critic on any weaknesses. In an excellent interview in the matchday prog in the last year, he spoke how he’d worked on disipline. His dad told him he was wasting chunks of his lucky career sitting in the stands.

Yes and he has only chased the ball once this year, 2nd goal at Bournemouth, thus leaving hole which was exploited.

Re Lawrenson, the quality has dropped so much that there are very few players that will ever match him now.

Ramos or Lawrenson? I know who I think is better and it’s not Ramos.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes and he has only chased the ball once this year, 2nd goal at Bournemouth, thus leaving hole which was exploited.

Re Lawrenson, the quality has dropped so much that there are very few players that will ever match him now.

Ramos or Lawrenson? I know who I think is better and it’s not Ramos.

Hansen, Butcher, Baresi, Bergomi, McGrath, Costacurta and probably some great german CB’s. To name just a few. The standard was ridiculously high.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People are getting confused about short term memory loss what I said or should have said is I find it easy to recall specific events of 30 years ago eg Our Cup semi final at Highbury or promotion game at Newcastle but have more difficulty in recalling specifics of 30 days ago like the game v Arsenal I am sure that if you ask older people many will say the same. Hence being unable to highlight times when Dunk has not brought the ball out of the defence confidently and efficiently. As regards Lawrenson I am sure that Lewis would aspire to reach his level of ball control. Then I would agree and say it was one of his strengths. As regards post count it is everybody else who worry about this as I couldnt tell you what it is as I just post what is my view on any subject at the time irrespective of other considerations.

Give him a call up and try in the friendlies but dont lets get carried away and increase the pressure on him with expectation let him continue to improve as he is doing.

Last edited:

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I saw Lawrenson play a few times in my youth but all I see now is a 'pundit' who can suck the joy out of any occasion and who sounds like he doesn't want to be there and a man who still uses the Wayne's World 'NOT!' gag like it's the funniest thing in the known world...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I saw Lawrenson play a few times in my youth but all I see now is a 'pundit' who can suck the joy out of any occasion and who sounds like he doesn't want to be there and a man who still uses the Wayne's World 'NOT!' gag like it's the funniest thing in the known world...

Like Phil Neville probably lives in Spain and just flies in for a weekends work to earn a living I know that when he was retired through injury he flew out with Paul Mariner to play in Malta for a few weekends flying out Friday and home Monday..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here