Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewis Dunk for England.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I honestly cannot recall that happening - bad control, and a lunge - to Lewis more than once this season.

As I said I cannot recall it now but remember saying about it at the time to my brother sat next to me. He seems to let the ball go just a yard too far in front of him when coming out of defence with it under pressure. He seems to have cut out the lunge for which he received a number of yellow and if I remember correctly a red card for last season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I said I cannot recall it now but remember saying about it at the time to my brother sat next to me. He seems to let the ball go just a yard too far in front of him when coming out of defence with it under pressure. He seems to have cut out the lunge for which he received a number of yellow and if I remember correctly a red card for last season.

The red card last season was for two yellows at Huddersfield, but he wasn't coming out of defence. He had the ball but caught Izzy Brown.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/dunk-will-you-ever-learn-fans-react-to-lewis-dunks-red-card/

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Didnt he get a red at The Amex with a 2nd yellow for a lunge defending the south end.

That was against Derby at the end of the season before last.

Your comments seem to be that you can say what you like and will blame your memory for not being able to back it up. The facts are Dunk is a massively different player to a year or two ago (or even six months ago)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That was against Derby at the end of the season before last.

Your comments seem to be that you can say what you like and will blame your memory for not being able to back it up. The facts are Dunk is a massively different player to a year or two ago (or even six months ago)

Some people have difficulty in accepting situations can change.

Maybe Liverpool fans think Dunk is a walking own goal, they'd be idiots, but they'll be basing their opinion on their memories of LD.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That was against Derby at the end of the season before.

Nobody is arguing about Dunk improving but has he reached the point where bringing the ball out of defence under close control is one of his strong points which was the original statement by TLO that I disagreed with I dont think so

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Nobody is arguing about Dunk improving but has he reached the point where bringing the ball out of defence under close control is one of his strong points which was the original statement by TLO that I disagreed with I dont think so

It is definitely not the weakness you think it is. The number of times he has carried the ball from his own half this season and played a pass to one of our players is significantly more than he has lost it due to poor control.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is definitely not the weakness you think it is. The number of times he has carried the ball from his own half this season and played a pass to one of our players is significantly more than he has lost it due to poor control.

And led to him scoring a goal at Fulham.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'd be quite happy for Dunk to remain overlooked by England and by any rivals interested in buying a promising British defender. But that's on a selfish level. I'd be thrilled for him if he got the call.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Whilst not having any physical or mental problems I do find that I have trouble remembering more recent events than 30 + years ago which I put down to age. In my younger days I could quite easily quote examples to support an argument but if it is about recent events I find that more difficult. Hence I am unable to recall recent events when Lewis has lost control of the ball and had to lunge to retrieve it but I certainly wouldnt put close control down as one of his strong points in the way you would do John Stones or Rio Ferdinand and Mark Lawrenson in the past. or going back further Beckenbaur or Moore I am sure that he will rightly be called into the squad for the up coming friendlies so that Southgate can have a look at him in training and possibly for part or all of a match.

Do you not think that your short term memory problems mean that if numerous other people who don't have memory problems disagree with you that maybe you should hold your hands up and admit that maybe you're wrong?

:shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally I think for Dunk to potentially have his England debut playing either Brazil or Germany Is not a good idea. It is most likely that as a team England will look very ordinary against that class of opposition and it is less likely that Dunk will come out of these games with glowing reviews. He would be much better having his debut against not a top international team to help build his confidence. It's unfair to expect Dunk however good a defender he is , with less than a dozen games at PL level to immediately slot in and play well against that level of opposition.

Just my view
If you extend that logic, we should have rested him on 12th. August so that his PL debut would not be a baptism of fire against Man. City! Besides, I doubt if Brazil or Germany are actually any better than Man. City, tbh..............

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You picked the wrong facet in his game. LD’s actually bloody good at that. Way better than most centre halves including all of ours.

Added to his ‘day job’ of simply defending brilliantly and leadership qualities, he’s an outstanding defender.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You picked the wrong facet in his game. LD’s actually bloody good at that. Way better than most centre halves including all of ours.

Added to his ‘day job’ of simply defending brilliantly and leadership qualities, he’s an outstanding defender.

Not disputing his defensive ability just the close ball control coming out of defence, which I do not think is that good and certainly not a strong point of his.

I must just accept that perhaps my standards of achievement are higher than many on here.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not disputing his defensive ability just the close ball control coming out of defence, which I do not think is that good and certainly not a strong point of his.

I must just accept that perhaps my standards of achievement are higher than many on here.

Agree to disagree.

Are you benchmarking LD to the greatest, Franco Baresi?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here