Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Bong isn't up to this standard of football, if we keep playing him we'll sleepwalk back to the Championship. He should only be in the team when the superior in every aspect Suttner is unavailable. Bong is a solid enough pro and there's no shame in not being good enough for the Premier League but he doesn't offer the team enough and we're weaker when he plays.

You really dislike him on all levels.
So are plenty in our squad then, that are clearly championship level. How come you do not pick at others - or do you consider then "premier standard"!

Sent from my Zxt 203 Dci

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You really dislike him on all levels.
So are plenty in our squad then, that are clearly championship level. How come you do not pick at others - or do you consider then "premier standard"!

Sent from my Zxt 203 Dci

No, I don't dislike him. But we're in the Premier League and we're playing Gaetan Bong as a first choice. He's just not up to the standard at this level, there's no shame in it but if we want to thrive and not just struggle to survive, he doesn't offer us enough. What I don't understand is why people still think he's better than Suttner, despite Suttner's performances. I thought it would be obvious the difference between Bong, who is perfectly adequate and won't let us down (unless you watch the Liverpool goals and question what the hell he was doing positionally for basically all of them) and Suttner who does all the defensive work but also whips in the crosses and gets forward at every opportunity. There is a clear difference in quality there, and for me that is the difference between Championship and Premier League.

Bong has been left behind by the standard of the league, and the standard of our other left back. People have noticed that Hemed and Murray aren't quite up to it either, and people are generally starting to notice March and Knockaert are struggling against the better opposition, but people can't spot how out of place Bong is?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Bong isn't up to this standard of football, if we keep playing him we'll sleepwalk back to the Championship. He should only be in the team when the superior in every aspect Suttner is unavailable. Bong is a solid enough pro and there's no shame in not being good enough for the Premier League but he doesn't offer the team enough and we're weaker when he plays.

Just completely discredits any other point you might have been making. Utter nonsense.

boik

You should meet up with @Kosh - he seems to rate Suttner as much as you rate Bong.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
No, I don't dislike him. But we're in the Premier League and we're playing Gaetan Bong as a first choice. He's just not up to the standard at this level, there's no shame in it but if we want to thrive and not just struggle to survive, he doesn't offer us enough. What I don't understand is why people still think he's better than Suttner, despite Suttner's performances. I thought it would be obvious the difference between Bong, who is perfectly adequate and won't let us down (unless you watch the Liverpool goals and question what the hell he was doing positionally for basically all of them) and Suttner who does all the defensive work but also whips in the crosses and gets forward at every opportunity. There is a clear difference in quality there, and for me that is the difference between Championship and Premier League.

Bong has been left behind by the standard of the league, and the standard of our other left back. People have noticed that Hemed and Murray aren't quite up to it either, and people are generally starting to notice March and Knockaert are struggling against the better opposition, but people can't spot how out of place Bong is?

I think people see Bong has generally defended well. Not always, but then again none of our defenders have defended well at all times. Duffy has been caught out on numerous occasions, Bruno has too. Even Dunk has scored OGs despite being arguably our best defender. The only one not to put a foot wrong so far is Goldson and he was dropped immediately.

The problem with Bong isn’t his defensive level, but his ability on the ball and, in particular, his passing, which has always been wayward, even at a lower level. Unfortunately those misplaced passes get jumped on now. In this regard, Suttner is just a bit more effective at this level.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Just completely discredits any other point you might have been making. Utter nonsense.

It is indeed. Total rubbish. I like both and I won't slag either if them off but if you compare Bong's performance at Old Trafford with Suttner's at Huddersfield then it's impossible to come to this conclusion. Wasn't it Ninja who insisted throughout last season that Baldock wasn't good enough in spite of all the evidence to the contrary or have I got the wrong poster?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I rate Suttner more than Bong. Bongs alright though decent enough I think. We've got what we've got, some players will make the grade some wont. And the ones which dont prove themselves good enough for the step up will be replaced one by one over the comings seasons or go out on loan subject of course to us staying up. There will be players desperate for first team/squad place but in their heart of hearts may know they have come to their limit, most players are their own biggest critiques. You get the odd player who clearly doesnt give a shit but if players like Bong give it their all and work hard on and off the pitch to improve then they have my back

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It is indeed. Total rubbish. I like both and I won't slag either if them off but if you compare Bong's performance at Old Trafford with Suttner's at Huddersfield then it's impossible to come to this conclusion. Wasn't it Ninja who insisted throughout last season that Baldock wasn't good enough in spite of all the evidence to the contrary or have I got the wrong poster?

I think he still insists he wasn't good enough.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Personally, I don't think 1 good performance every 5/6/7 games is good enough.

In every game that Suttner has played, he has contributed to us going forward, Bong doesn't because he doesn't have any technical quality at all. Suttner adds an extra dimension to our team, as proven to even the blindest observer in the Watford game where if we had a striker with attacking instincts, we'd have been 2/3 up in the first 10 minutes.

Also, the general (and lazy) defence for Bong is how good he allegedly is defensively - but I really don't think there's much difference between the defensive performance the team with either of them playing. Suttner's main criticisms are Leicester away and Huddersfield away but I don't think there will be much difference between the goals conceded with either of them in the side. Even if you take out the 5 we conceeded against Liverpool (people conveniently forgetting the terrible positioning by Bong for at least 3 of them), there won't be much difference either way. So, surely we should play the one who offers us something going forward?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Personally, I don't think 1 good performance every 5/6/7 games is good enough.

In every game that Suttner has played, he has contributed to us going forward, Bong doesn't because he doesn't have any technical quality at all. Suttner adds an extra dimension to our team, as proven to even the blindest observer in the Watford game where if we had a striker with attacking instincts, we'd have been 2/3 up in the first 10 minutes.

Also, the general (and lazy) defence for Bong is how good he allegedly is defensively - but I really don't think there's much difference between the defensive performance the team with either of them playing. Suttner's main criticisms are Leicester away and Huddersfield away but I don't think there will be much difference between the goals conceded with either of them in the side. Even if you take out the 5 we conceeded against Liverpool (people conveniently forgetting the terrible positioning by Bong for at least 3 of them), there won't be much difference either way. So, surely we should play the one who offers us something going forward?

At least 3 of them? One was from a corner and another direct from a free kick. Sometimes it's difficult to take what you say seriously.

Oddly, I do agree Suttner definitely edges it, but to suggest that he is "superior in every aspect" is just bollocks. Bong's strength alone would contest that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Poor old Ninja has had to find a new target because Sam hasn't been playing.....

Bong's big weakness for me is his passing. His tackling is good, he's almost never beaten (absolutely brilliant at keeping his attacker out wide) and he's pacy. He can put a decent cross in as well, although Suttner is probably just as good if not better here. Personally glad we've got two left backs with little to choose between them. Goals conceded/clean sheets suggests we don't have a huge amount wrong at the back in any position.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Poor old Ninja has had to find a new target because Sam hasn't been playing.....

Bong's big weakness for me is his passing. His tackling is good, he's almost never beaten (absolutely brilliant at keeping his attacker out wide) and he's pacy. He can put a decent cross in as well, although Suttner is probably just as good if not better here. Personally glad we've got two left backs with little to choose between them. Goals conceded/clean sheets suggests we don't have a huge amount wrong at the back in any position.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Bit harsh, I don't dislike Bong - it's just obvious that we have a better player for that position who doesn't play every game, for no reason. And then there are people on here who think Bong's fantastic, or is "underrated". It's ridiculous and frustrating when we have such a good player in Suttner and such a good Championship player in Bong. The difference is obvious and it's frustrating to me that Suttner is so underrated in favour of such an ordinary player like Bong.

I think the difference this season is that we're no longer looking to replace total guff, we're just looking to upgrade on decent players.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
How good was this lad today?!?! MOM for me! Please tell me others saw this?!

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Murray/Dunk/Duffy/Izquierdo will obviously get most of the praise tonight but thought Gaetan Bong was excellent. Looked comfortable on the ball, couple of good runs forward and coped with Antonio really well. Great to have two quality left backs competing for a first team slot

And two right backs!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Thought about him on the way home. No song (that I've heard) and very little praise compared to his oppo on the other side, namely Bruno or Scheletto (spelling?). Wondered why we haven't taken to him like we do other players? Is it because he just gets on with the game, making maybe 1 or 2 too many errors?

Jimmy Grimble

Yep. MOTM today.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
How good was this lad today?!?! MOM for me! Please tell me others saw this?!

Fully agree with you, great defensively but also great up the wing getting those crosses. Was half expecting this thread to be bound ced to slate him off given how many haters he has.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here