Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Stews - Tiz the season

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
The nights are drawing is so it’s stew time in the Badger house. I just slow cooked my first stew of the season yesterday, used an unfamiliar cut of beef, Jacob’s ladder or “small ribs” feck me it was the best stew I have ever made.

Just made it up as I went along...

• 1.3kg of Jacobs ladder, cut into 6 "small ribs"
• Potatoes
• Carrots
• Celery
• Large onion
• 3x cloves of garlic
• Stock
• Red wine
• Bay leaves
• Rosemary
• Thyme
• Good glug of Worcestershire sauce

season and sear the beef in a frying pan, par boil spuds then lob it all in a slow cooker for 5 or 6 hours. Bingo.

Anyone got any good stew recipes to share?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The cow just called, it wanted to know if you could return it's Jacobs Ladder (whatever the feck that is).

All meat is murder kids. :wink:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Parsnips, turnips and swedes are a must and a shed load of dumplings

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Had stew last night. Made a back handed remark of there not being enough meat to veg ratio. Anyone would have thought I'd called her a naughty name or summat, with the look she gave me:shrug:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can't be asked to write a whole recipe down but do a cracking one with pigs cheeks in port. Highly recommend them if you haven't tried. So delicious and ridiculously cheap.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Made Game Stew last night and was superb! Slung lump of dark choc and some redcurrant jelly in right at the end and made all the difference!

Pre-cut mixed game bag from butchers as well so nice and easy!!

Picked up a prepped rabbit at same time so rabbit stew on the menu for next week as well!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Try Flemish Beef Stew, marvellous winter warmer.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Strangely any veg going off is game at Whitelion Towers for the stewpot all year round. Ma introduced me to lentils some years ago and using that as a base with chilli garlic and veg I'll make a tasty dish all year round. If any meat is available such as a chicken carcass or stuff that people normally throw away is looking close to disposal I'll use it stock pot style and slow cook the whole lot. Comes from being a child of the 50s and working early years in a hotel.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Started the slow cooker stuff 2 weeks ago with Steak and Kidney, followed by Oxtail last week and bought some pheasant thighs today for next weeks.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here