Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] have the right amount of kids you can afford, or should the govt stump up costs?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
the first two mum's interviewed have 3 kids........

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Don't have any of the horrible brats. Spend all your money on whisky and beer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i enjoy how they use incongruent stats to start the argument - why are childcare cost linked to average earnings? from there we wonder if the TUC research bothered to look at why childcare costs rose substantially, perhaps due to government policy to give free childcare, leading to increased demand and therefore more staff at higher cost to provide? and perhaps extending free childcare to 1-yo would exacerbate this problem?

Seagull85

Apr 21, 2009
My daughter is 10 months old and is currently at a mix of nursery and grandparents to allow my wife to go back to work, it is affordable but only just about makes sense. We are fortunate to have help from grandparents, without that I don't think my wife would have been able to return to work until our daughter is 3. Why not just provide 30 hours free a week from say 1 years old, what is so special about waiting 3 years?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Multiple Births
Death of parent(s)
Loss of job

I don't necessarily disagree but some people need help through no fault of their own. We're not clairvoyant.

there's the whole problem, we seem to have moved from a state welfare system to support those who are victims of circumstance, to one were we demand provisions made so we can live according to choice. you could do both, at vast cost, or the former at a sensible cost. we try to do the latter on the cheap, and that just isn't going to work .

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Regardless of affordability I personally believe you should only replace yourself - i.e. a couple shouldn't have more than two children. It infuriates me when you see rich people like the Jamie Oliver family banging them out left right and centre and people say "Oh, but they can afford it". Financially, yes, but can the planet ?

Oh, I also think child benefit should be scrapped and instead vouchers for baby food and nappies given and then later free school uniforms and (hot) lunches.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When is doing something you can't afford EVER a good idea?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My daughter is 10 months old and is currently at a mix of nursery and grandparents to allow my wife to go back to work, it is affordable but only just about makes sense. We are fortunate to have help from grandparents, without that I don't think my wife would have been able to return to work until our daughter is 3. Why not just provide 30 hours free a week from say 1 years old, what is so special about waiting 3 years?

Hate to say it but "do the sums".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here