Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] West Ham United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
684.png
703.png

West Ham v Brighton

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: London Stadium
Date: Friday 20th October 2017
Kick-off: 20:00 BST
Referee: Martin Atkinson
Assistants: Peter Kirkup, Stephen Child
Fourth official: Neil Swarbrick

TEAM NEWS

Brighton are hopeful Shane Duffy will be fit to play despite being forced off against Everton with a groin problem.

Tomer Hemed completes a three-game ban, while long-term absentees Sam Baldock and Beram Kayal will build fitness by playing for the under-23s on Friday.

Andy Carroll serves a one-game suspension after being sent off in West Ham's draw with Burnley on Saturday.

Diafra Sakho is out with a back problem but Javier Hernandez should be available despite a tight hamstring.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

West Ham manager Slaven Bilic on his side's high tally of red cards: "Is there a lack of discipline? I don't think so.

"None of these red cards [in the last three years] were from a typical lack of discipline. Nobody headbutted anyone.

"Andy's [dismissal at Burnley] was basically stupid. But many of the red cards we appealed and they were ruled out - three or four, or even five, were completely big mistakes from the referees.

"I don't remember one that I would connect with lack of discipline and letting the team down."

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "At home, I think we have acquitted ourselves well; we've won two games, drawn one and put on a very good show against Manchester City [a 2-0 defeat].

"It's going to be our away form that's going to be the most challenging.

"It's a game away from home, a big stadium, against a very talented team and seeing a way for us getting points away from home."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton have only won one of their seven league visits to West Ham (D2, L4).
    [*=left]That victory came in the Championship in November 2004, when Guy Butters headed the only goal.
    [*=left]These sides last met in the league in the 2011-12 Championship season, when the Hammers won both encounters - including 6-0 at home.

West Ham

• [*=left]West Ham have won both of their previous home Premier League games on a Friday by a 1-0 scoreline - beating Coventry in December 1997 and Tottenham in May this year.
    [*=left]The Hammers have kept clean sheets in five of their last seven top-flight home matches.
    [*=left]Seven of their nine league wins at the London Stadium have been by 1-0 scorelines.
    [*=left]They have received 12 Premier League red cards since Slaven Bilic's appointment in 2015 - three more than any other side in this period.
    [*=left]The Hammers have scored 75% of their league goals this season in the second half - only Brighton (83%) have a higher figure.

Brighton

• [*=left]The Seagulls are yet to win an away game in league or cup this season, scoring only one goal.
    [*=left]They have won only one of their last 33 top-flight away matches, a 2-1 victory at Swansea in March 1983 (D8, L24).
    [*=left]Pascal Gross has been directly involved in 83% of Brighton's Premier League goals this season (two goals and three assists), which is the highest percentage in the top flight.
    [*=left]Gross has created 211 chances for team-mates in league football since August 2015 - the same number as Kevin de Bruyne. Only five players have created more opportunities in this period in the top five European leagues.
    [*=left]Chris Hughton is winless in his last 12 Premier League away matches as a manager (D3, L9). His most recent victory on the road came with Norwich at West Brom on 7 December 2013.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good solid opening two posts. No blame can be attached to [MENTION=15297]Dick Head[/MENTION] or [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] if we lose this - it will definitely be someone else's fault.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
1 change.

Izquerdo to start, Solly on the bench.

Wouldn't be surprised. Was scintillating at times against Everton and surely he can't just be the new LuaLua in a supersub role. Though I think March has been excellent and probably offers more defensively (c) Warren Aspinall.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Good solid opening two posts. No blame can be attached to [MENTION=15297]Dick Head[/MENTION] or [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] if we lose this - it will definitely be someone else's fault.

If only my match threads got this kind of response! :angry:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
With all due respect we should be beating teams like West Ham.

:wink:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hitting the pub in T minus 1hour

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its a great stadium for..........athletics. Old Skool Hammers I know hate it. I think we've a lot more chance here than at Upton Park

The Optimist

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Wouldn't be surprised. Was scintillating at times against Everton and surely he can't just be the new LuaLua in a supersub role. Though I think March has been excellent and probably offers more defensively (c) Warren Aspinall.

For an away game I'd expect Solly to start. I think Izquierdo is more likely to get starts at home first (I know he started Arsenal away). The only thing is it was mentioned that Solly sounded like he had a cold on Sunday so if he's been struggling with illness maybe he will be given a rest.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
On the way back to the airport,saw a direction sign for 'Izquierdo Playa',and I thought it must be an omen for the Columbian to open his account.0-2 Albion
(apparently Pozo Izqierdo Playa is one of the top surfing beaches,but I'm too old to have known that!)

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Its a great stadium for..........athletics. Old Skool Hammers I know hate it. I think we've a lot more chance here than at Upton Park

We are well used to playing in athletics stadia.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If I hear ANY booing at full time.......:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here