Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How happy are you with the Albion's start this season?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Happy enough although there are elements of the "steep learning curve" that for me could and should have been mitigated.
Too respectful of Man City. Understand why but we should have shown more intent on home debut.
Failing to score at Watford was more unlucky than anything but the early goal conceded at Leicester was niave and a poor performance. Bournemouth we really really should have got a point. Everton? That shit happens. Elements of bad luck. Elements of lacking self belief. Elements of just being too careful. Elements of being shot shy as a result.
We have definitely got enough to stay up based on what we've seen so far but we have to start having real belief that we belong rather than being star struck newbies. The signs are that we intend being more assertive tonight but for me it's how we set up and perform at Old Trafford that will say a lot for me about progress. Not asking that we be anything but defensively minded but, much more than the result, it's how you transition forward when the opportunities arise that will tell a lot about our prospects. The games we can't continue to throw away are against the likes of Leicester & Bournemouth which is why they were so critical, so upcoming games against fellow relegation contenders need to start yielding results.

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm pretty happy with the seasons start. It was always going to be difficult, and if I'm honest, I always expected us to get relegated - and I still think that is the probability. That's not being pessimistic, I think that is a reality for me, but am enjoying the ride.

Part of me still doesn't believe that we're up there with the big boys - seeing us on MOTD etc. is quite surreal.

Overall I would have taken what we have now.

Couple of bits stick in my mind....

Had we held onto the lead at Bournmouth
Had Bruno not auditioned his karate moves against Everton
Had we taken advantage of the man advantage against Watford (our draw now looks a great result however)

We would now be sitting in a Champions League spot.....

Fine margins and all that.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I'm happy with the performances - we're competing with the sides we need to.

I don't think our 8 points is just rewards though. To have taken just 2 points from Watford, Bournemouth and Everton - given how each game went - feels light.

This.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Survival this year.
But next season I think we will be beating teams like Everton & Watford. We wont be the minnows anymore and will have the experience to finish them off.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Quite content and mirror the doing what expected line. Our home form HAS to be amazing and is but we need to occasionally get something away other than just good performances. Not loads of points but at least some draws (maybe 5/6) with the teams around us and 3+ wins from the 19 away games.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Enjoyed every game. Competed well. Only disapointment was stupid penalty against Everton. Still dont understand it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'd support the sentiments so far. Thoroughly pleased, even though I feel like we probably have deserved a couple of points more. The lack of quality reinforcements up top worries me with Baldock out although Hemed has stepped up so far, and I believe Murray will if given games. If we can get to January with a point a game, and we can reinforce up top, I think we'l stay up based on what I've seen so far.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Nobody has given us a hiding yet, despite playing City (who have given everyone else one) and Arsenal (who are miles ahead of us as a club in pretty much all respects). A few more points wouldn't feel undeserved, we should have won one of Watford or Everton as a bare minimum. I'm hoping though that the balance evens and at some point we pick up points somewhere nobody is expecting us to. We're playing well at home and have shown we're capable of scoring goals, especially at home. Tomer, Sam and Beram coming back should improve us as a squad.

7/10 for me, pretty good but scope for improvement.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yes it was the first game but we got out of that Man City game with a -2. In hindsight that was VERY GOOD.

The Arsenal and Leicester away loses were always going to be tough

Bournemouth was the one real kick in the knackers for me this year. To get no points was gutting.

To stay up you always say you have to get something out of your winnable home games. We have won the 2 I would have targeted as wins and got a draw out of the one I would have put in the "I would hope to get at least a point from" category.

Izquierdo, Solly, Propper, Gross, Knocky all look creative and at home at this level. Dunk and Duffy look like absolute units and Ryan has got better and better (his save against Everton was wonderful)

I'm very happy. B+

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Panning out pretty much as expected, plenty of hard graft and some serious scrapping for every single point. Results at the Amex very encouraging, as is the complete absence of confidence-sapping thumpings thus far. Fully expecting us to continue to grind out the points en route to mid-table mediocrity and that all-important follow-on season in the Premier League.
:albion:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Pretty happy as competing.

Would of taken joint 4th from bottom as it stands now.

Fine line as if we were in bottom 3 then pressure ramps up and wouldn't be so happy. We are only just out of it.

Need an away win and will be fully content

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Given the target is to stay up I'm pretty pleased with how it's going.

We're doing roughly what is expected of us points-wise and look to have more in the tank.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Happy, but agree we could have a least four more points in the bag, if, and it's a big "IF", we get three tonight then I'd be very happy. Two points against any of the others and three tonight would have made my statement "delighted".

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yeah so, so. We could have got a win at Watford, at least a draw at Bournemouth and a win against Everton so potentially we’ve blown 5 points in 8 games. I look at our run in and think we really do need to get as many points on the board as we can as early as possible as we could go 5 losses at the end.

That said, we’ve been competing well against the bottom 14 in the league so far and don’t look outclassed or out of place against them. It’s up in the air whether we’ll survive but with a bit of luck and injury avoidance we could be ok.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Happy, but agree we could have a least four more points in the bag, if, and it's a big "IF", we get three tonight then I'd be very happy. Two points against any of the others and three tonight would have made my statement "delighted".

4 more points?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here