Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Portsmouth to become the new New York?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4999004/Portsmouth-New-York-style-skyline-skyscrapers.html

A trip to Fratton Park in a yellow taxi. Bagels sold outside the ground. I'm welling up:cry:

hqdefault.jpg
I'm guessing the Disney theme will fit in, but cannot see this at the Spinnaker!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Daily Mail horseshit once again.

I think it's great what they're doing with Portsmouth. The regeneration is much needed. It's extremely densely populated so going up makes sense. Nice to see someone with some actual ambition rather than the usual NIMBY crap.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I actually think it's a half decent idea - 2, fairly significant, problems immediately spring to mind:

First, to create a New York-style skyline is going to cost considerably more than 'building a couple of towers' - and £500m is a national budget - it will probably cost more than that for just Portsmouth.
Secondly, and probably more importantly, what is it with the British obsession with high-rise tower blocks? Irrespective of how nice you make them look from the outside, in this country, they will be exactly what they are designed to be - low cost affordable housing. No bad thing, I hear you cry, except when you are trying to create a certain 'look' - without pumping billions into them, in 10-20 years time, it will just like Benidorm in the rain.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The only decent thing about Portsmouth is Gunwharf Quay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here