Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mat Ryan - taller than Pat Jennings

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If we're taking Ryan's height as 1.83 m, then he absolutely dwarfs the 1.81 m of some Spanish bloke called Iker Casillas, who I believe has had a decent career as a goalkeeper.

....and Banks and Shilton and Clemence and Zoff and Maier and Yashin, who are also rumoured to have had decent careers.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
If we're taking Ryan's height as 1.83 m, then he absolutely dwarfs the 1.81 m of some Spanish bloke called Iker Casillas, who I believe has had a decent career as a goalkeeper.

Dino Zoff was 1.82m.

I think that should end the height question.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Yes but outfield players were a lot smaller, Sammy Lee was average height for a pro player. Had Ryan been playing back then he’d have been considered a giant. :jester:
Lee was a shortarse even in a team of dwarfs.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sammy Lee....average height!!....where did you get that from? Even in his day, he was considered small and chunky. Granted, we are all getting taller and heavier but surely that is not the prerequisite for a goalkeeper. Compared to Stockdale, Ryan is clearly physically smaller but what he loses in size, he more than makes up for in athleticism. His reactions are a fraction quicker and he copes with low angled shots better than Stocky.
Most goalkeepers now are 6' 3" + but that doesn't make them any more athletic. In fact, I have had a feeling for quite a time that many of the modern keepers lack real spring and agility. Give me a keeper around 6' 1" with plenty of spring and you won't go far wrong. Too many keepers at present are too big and too heavy.

Wooosh.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here