Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What is the traditional metal for an engagement ring?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Are engagement rings gender discriminatory?

You raise an interesting point. Have any of the male members of NSC been given an engagement ring/female members given one to their then fiancé?

Edit: oh, as an addendum for those about to marry/are recently married: the traditional gift for your first wedding anniversary is something made of paper. Don't give her 4 loo rolls. Even as a joke. It doesn't go down well. Allegedly.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You raise an interesting point. Have any of the male members of NSC been given an engagement ring/female members given one to their then fiancé?
No idea. I don't wear rings - I don't like them - and I made it clear when getting engaged that I wasn't going to wear a ring, neither engagement or wedding.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No idea. I don't wear rings - I don't like them - and I made it clear when getting engaged that I wasn't going to wear a ring, neither engagement or wedding.

Sorry - I wasn't really expecting you to know the answer on behalf of the whole of NSC. I should have perhaps made my post as a separate thing, rather than as a reply!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry - I wasn't really expecting you to know the answer on behalf of the whole of NSC. I should have perhaps made my post as a separate thing, rather than as a reply!

No, nothing wrong with your post, mate - perfectly reasonable question. I just answered it on my own behalf (I would never dare to presume to answer on behalf of the whole of NSC - more than my life would be worth, I reckon!)

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Edit: oh, as an addendum for those about to marry/are recently married: the traditional gift for your first wedding anniversary is something made of paper. Don't give her 4 loo rolls. Even as a joke. It doesn't go down well. Allegedly.

You need to press the full flush button. Toilet roll often doesn't go down well on half flush.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My Mrs to be has a white gold ring, but I wouldn't focus too much on the metal, it's definitely the stone(s) that make the ring.
We will need to get the ring coated maybe once a year which doesn't bother me at all, and the diamonds made it a little more expensive than I could really afford to pay, but those few moments when I gave her the ring and she was shocked into becoming temporarily mute was absolute bliss and worth every penny.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Platinum. Doesn't lose its shine much, and if you buy it from a decent jeweller they'll buff it up for free for life if it needs it. Does mean though you need to get a platinum wedding ring. Get the train up to Farringdon and put in the miles in Hatton Garden, bounce between shops getting them to quote against one another, the price can vary a lot between different jewellers. Lionel Wiffin on Hatton Garden can make stuff bespoke for you and is pretty cheap, he's in a scrappy little basement room next to the vaults that were burgled a few years back, but great value for money.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Nickel-plated steel is a good alternative.These are a prime example:

ring.jpg

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
Come on NSC, help us out here!

It depends on the material you are likely to choose for the wedding ring. They should match, if they don't a they look odd and b the different metals will rub each other differently

Think about the whole thing and not just this ring, it will save a lot of issues in the future

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you want a recommendation then Jason French at Baroque. Between me and the wife we have 7 rings made by him. I’m planning another from him for next year as well.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I was completely disorganised and our engagement happened via a row (a discussion)

We then went and picked a ring. She picked Platinum (because it didn't need constant re-treatment), a 2 for 1 with the wedding ring (the two inter-link) AND one that was half price that week (which she didn't realise at the time)

I knew there and then I had found the right person.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
21 years ago and all I can remember was it cost me more than the Kawasaki GPZ900 I was riding at the time. I'll bet the bike is worth more than the ring these days!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
21 years ago and all I can remember was it cost me more than the Kawasaki GPZ900 I was riding at the time. I'll bet the bike is worth more than the ring these days!

Bet the exhaust had a nice ring to it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here