Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anybody interested in creating Android Apps ?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
i had a go at creating apps, the problem i had (other than gernal laziness) was getting a damn emulator setup in Genymotion. all far more complex and niggly than it should be, some decent guide on that, or ideally package something working in a VM would be a great idea to help new developers. as a general point in my IT career, the bootstrap and setup of environment is often overlooked by teaching materials.

I've been looking at the React-Native tutorial and it uses Expo. It's an app for your mobile device that scans a QR code and connect to your dev environment with live updates. I highly recommend it if you're a fan of JS.

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
i had a go at creating apps, the problem i had (other than gernal laziness) was getting a damn emulator setup in Genymotion. all far more complex and niggly than it should be, some decent guide on that, or ideally package something working in a VM would be a great idea to help new developers. as a general point in my IT career, the bootstrap and setup of environment is often overlooked by teaching materials.

I found Genymotion to be quite cumbersome to use. My course is based on Android Studio which has an emulator in it, which is what I use (I do explain a bit about setting it up). Unfortunately, again, it's not the easiest thing to set up, but once it is, it works ok. I found, however, that the easiest thing to do was connect a phone and test with the real thing. It is much faster than the emu, and you can still debug with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here