Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Scam alert with Paypal

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
In the last 12 hours both me and my wife have had a scam email supposedly from Paypal. It roughly says that £140 has been paid to John Smith. if you dont recognise this transaction fill in this form. Do not. Just forward to spoofpaypal@co.uk.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In the last 12 hours both me and my wife have had a scam email supposedly from Paypal. It roughly says that £140 has been paid to John Smith. if you dont recognise this transaction fill in this form. Do not. Just forward to spoofpaypal@co.uk.

Very common......just hover over the email address it was sent from and you’ll see it’s not paypal at all, and the link to the paypal website in the email won’t be Paypal either (again hover your cursor over it and you’ll see)

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I fill out the form with expletives.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Paypal will only ever address the beginning with Dear and BOTH your names, never Dear customer, Dear paypal user etc

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The one I got started with 'Dear Costumer', which would have been a bit of a giveaway even if it wasn't such an obvious scam attempt.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The one sent to me was addressed Dear Customer but I think the give away is the e mail address as it invariably starts service @paypal but then has a long address after the co.uk. You would assume that if we know how Pay Pal address the customers by name the scammers would.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
By doing this you confirm your email address and will just get tons more emails.

That's alright. Good for letting off steam. It's nice getting calls from 'microsoft' too. I have a nice long chat with them till I decide to unexpectedly hurl abuse down the phone.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

I send back a message saying I owed John Smith much more than the amount given and if he wants it to fill out my form--which is twice as long and intrusive.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here