Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Scam alert with Paypal

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Natwest and Paypal is quite common and I think I had a gas one a short while aho. I've even had several parking fines emailed to me recently and none of them even had my car reg on them. I am surprised that these scammers think they can get away with it these days with people paying up without checking. I only wonder what their success rate is.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Paypal will only ever address the beginning with Dear and BOTH your names, never Dear customer, Dear paypal user etc
And even then, I'd be careful about clicking a link to a site. If I want to use a bank/PP etc, I never use a link to the site, but find the site myself.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This recent one is a beauty:

fakeinvoice001.jpg

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
In the last 12 hours both me and my wife have had a scam email supposedly from Paypal. It roughly says that £140 has been paid to John Smith. if you dont recognise this transaction fill in this form. Do not. Just forward to spoofpaypal@co.uk.

Thanks for the heads up [MENTION=17029]Rogero[/MENTION]

I have just received one saying a payment is under review.
It asks that if I didn't make the payment would I like to cancel it and claim a full refund, then to click the link and apply.

Forwarded a copy to Paypal.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Thanks for the heads up [MENTION=17029]Rogero[/MENTION]

I have just received one saying a payment is under review.
It asks that if I didn't make the payment would I like to cancel it and claim a full refund, then to click the link and apply.

Forwarded a copy to Paypal.

wow,pleased to help you. Thats why I love this forum.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Had one from BT with an unusually large bill, it asks to do nothing but your immediate instinct is to log in and see where the high price came from. Of course, next thing they've got a PW and often many use the same PW for multiple accounts.

Very simple but probably quite a high success rate for stealing PW's

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
My most recent from PayPal contained this:

Dear ,

You sent a payment of 26.33 GBP
This email confirms your purchase of the following subscription usign your PayPalID

You have 7 days from the date of the transaction to cancel the subscription without beeing charged.

Come on at least try and look convincing! Didn't even spoof in my email address after dear,

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I get about 6 a day but when I go to unsubscribe my mcavee says, whoa don't go there, so I am stuck with deleting daily hoping they will get fed up.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I get about 6 a day but when I go to unsubscribe my mcavee says, whoa don't go there, so I am stuck with deleting daily hoping they will get fed up.

Clicking unsubscribe will only confirm to the spammers that your email address is valid. Best to mark it as spam so future emails from them are deleted immediately.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Yesterday I received two emails, one for a parking violation and one for speeding. As I was away on holiday I know they are fake (cars blocked in drive and keys hidden) but still had to look twice as they are convincing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here