Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Banter - just an excuse for otherwise socially unacceptable behaviour

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
No in my time ( left in 2008 after 30 years) always an unwritten rule, if you cant take it dont give it.....Im afraid the world is just to soft and PC now......open to to many moaners.....Im not saying the events at the FA are right or wrong Im commenting on 'banter'

What you are saying is a degree of assumed consent, like giving is consent to receive. The problem is some feel entitled to give it out and also not receive it. As certain commentes and actions are "deserving" and a form of giving consent. This ranges from PC bludgeon terms like islamaphobia to a car driver yelling at a cyclist. In part drawn from a false sense of moral superiority and entitlement. The problem stems from management classes using mediation when they should be managing.

Football also have assumed consent which is why we can mock palace vermin without it descending into a blood feud and visa versa.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Maybe you should have a look a lot closer to home as to who to blame if something happens to you.
It's quite worrying actually that you're unwilling to agree that there's a few bad eggs in your ranks, its like me saying there's no such thing as rouge traders.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
It's quite worrying actually that you're unwilling to agree that there's a few bad eggs in your ranks, its like me saying there's no such thing as rouge traders.

No, it's like you protesting if someone said "I have never met a plumber who is not a thieving, incompetent ****".

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

Because soilders generally have screws loose

Fair point, every soilder I've come in contact with has been a thick as shit c***.

Ahhh finally the truth will set you free.

You got the hump because I didn't agree. Didums.

Using the quotes above where did you ask me if I thought there were a few bad eggs in my ranks? Had you asked that question I would have agreed. But no, you thought by saying about "soldiers (spelt correctly for you) generally have screws loose" and "every soilder I've come in contact with has been a thick as shit c***." would be acceptable on a BANTER discussion.

Like I said before any time you want to meet up to discuss if you think I have any screws loose or I am a c*nt, I will be in the Railway Bell before every game. Just come and ask for the Gem.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
The military style banter, if you could call it that, is a totally different world to the Mickey taking I experience these days.
An example would be as soft as turning a cap badge upside down on the hat/beret, shampoo in boots, bed packs being glued together, to the extremes of throwing cold water over someone if their personal hygiene wasn't up to scratch.

Or sewing your mate's Bivibag shut.:lolol:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ahhh finally the truth will set you free.

You got the hump because I didn't agree. Didums.

Using the quotes above where did you ask me if I thought there were a few bad eggs in my ranks? Had you asked that question I would have agreed. But no, you thought by saying about "soldiers (spelt correctly for you) generally have screws loose" and "every soilder I've come in contact with has been a thick as shit c***." would be acceptable on a BANTER discussion.

Like I said before any time you want to meet up to discuss if you think I have any screws loose or I am a c*nt, I will be in the Railway Bell before every game. Just come and ask for the Gem.
Listen, I'm thankful for the job you do but it doesn't mean some of your comrades are exempt from being tossers

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
No, it's like you protesting if someone said "I have never met a plumber who is not a thieving, incompetent ****".
I'd say fair enough, we aren't all like it, not go off on a rant like Gem boy

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Was this person your boss?
Have you as an English person been affected by the impact of centuries of discrimination at the hands of French people?
Did that person subsequently remove you from your employment in what you perceived to be an unjustified fashion after you mentioned this 'joke' to authorities?
Did you have a relationship where previously these sort of jokes had previously been exchanged without complaint?

This kind of blithe false equivalency looks good on paper but falls apart under examination. Surely people understand that different relationships we have in life have different 'rules.' I assume you don't treat your mother in law the same as your best mate do you?

It would have made no difference to me if the person in question (my French friend) had been my boss.

I used to have a boss who was of Pakistani origin, and he used to say things to me that would have been considered racist had I said them to him, but I knew that he meant no harm, so it never occurred to me to take offence, never mind to complain. If I had complained, doubtless Personnel would have reminded me that my ancestors oppressed his so I would have to take my manager’s “banter” on the chin.

The FA acted wrongly in their response to Eni Aluko’s complaint, but, to me, Mark Sampson’s comment about ebola (the subject of this thread) was innocuous. Perhaps the comment was made on the back of other similar comments, the cumulative effect of which was to upset Eni Aluko, but the comment in question, in isolation, seems innocuous to me.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I'd say fair enough, we aren't all like it, not go off on a rant like Gem boy

I'm not on a rant, you stupid boy Pike. You and only you threw a blanket over soldiers (spelt correctly) and I took exception to it.

It's exactly what this thread is all about people saying things that others think are not right or don't agree with.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not on a rant, you stupid boy Pike. You and only you threw a blanket over soldiers (spelt correctly) and I took exception to it.

It's exactly what this thread is all about people saying things that others think are not right or don't agree with.
Well we've done a great job on this thread and congratulations on changing my opinion on shoulders..[emoji57]

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It would have made no difference to me if the person in question (my French friend) had been my boss.

I used to have a boss who was of Pakistani origin, and he used to say things to me that would have been considered racist had I said them to him, but I knew that he meant no harm, so it never occurred to me to take offence, never mind to complain. If I had complained, doubtless Personnel would have reminded me that my ancestors oppressed his so I would have to take my manager’s “banter” on the chin.

The FA acted wrongly in their response to Eni Aluko’s complaint, but, to me, Mark Sampson’s comment about ebola (the subject of this thread) was innocuous. Perhaps the comment was made on the back of other similar comments, the cumulative effect of which was to upset Eni Aluko, but the comment in question, in isolation, seems innocuous to me.

There is a difference between having a joke with someone you know well, and saying it in a changing room in front of others, perhaps to humiliate her?
Context is everything.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

But that's kind of the point isn't it? Your equivalency with what your mate said taken in isolation isn't helpful. This is about context, personality, relationship and precedent as much as some hard and fast rule that proves definitely what was said was or wasn't racist.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
The problem with banter is that it is all very well when everyone is comfortable with it but, as we have seen on here and elsewhere, as soon as any one objects then they are told that they have no sense of humour or they should "man up and stop being a snowflake." A lot of banter is used, whether purposefully or not, to establish social hierarchies, a bit like baboons mooning each other. It is the absolute purpose of some, maybe most, banter to (however slightly) belittle others in a group and enhance the social credentials of the banterer.

Like baboon bum brandishing it is usually fairly harmless but when there is already an in-built power imbalance then the banter can become toxic as the person being belittled has no real recourse to banter back and if they don't "laugh along" then they can be seen as stuck-up or overly precious. Often (as might be the case with Mark Sampson) the banterer doesn't even realise what they are doing.

Many years ago I was a restaurant manager - I was very young, inexperienced and, as it turns out, stupid. I had employed a fantastic waitress, she was hard-working, accurate and the customers loved her. She was also quiet and reserved. I assumed that she realised that I thought she was brilliant and so felt quite happy having a bit of "banter" with her - if she dropped a teaspoon, for example, I would make a big deal of it in an amusingly over-the-top way because she so rarely made any mistakes at all.

One day the waitress came to me and resigned - I was shocked and asked her why. She said that part of the reason was that I was always picking on her and constantly criticising her. I had thought that I was a hilarious boss driving the banter bus and keeping everyone motivated with my up beat ironic quips whereas I was in fact making one of my best employees so miserable that she left. I still feel embarrassed and ashamed that I had so fundamently mis-judged the situation and am therefore vary wary when people excuse things by saying "it was just banter" or "I was only having a laugh".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here