Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Pharmacy2u

Withdean Chappy

Jul 21, 2017
Westdean
I have recently received a newsletter regarding the NHS Electronic Prescription Service which invites you to arrange for you send your prescription to them so they can send your medication to you they will also contact you when your repeat prescription is due.
It seems that they will be dealing with the whole of the country from Leeds so you will be dealing with a very large Call Centre, so with thoughts of Press 1 for ...etc i have come to the conclusion that i will stay with my most helpful Pharmacy whose future will be in danger if too many people change to this central arrangement.
I recall that to cut costs the government are considering cutting the allowances paid to Pharmacys so this could be a deliberate attempt to bring about a situation whereby local points close to surgeries will have to close down.
Although it is a NHS service it is strange to read that your local doctor has not provided details and has not approved them contacting their patients, so who has provided the details to Pharmacy2u?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There is a notice in my local chemist warning about this service. We will lose our local chemists if people use the electronic version. I ignored mine because I have to take a lot of medications and wanted to talk to my doctor and pharmacist as one leaflet in the box of tablets warned of another medication affecting the effectiveness. Both doctor and pharmacist assured me the two tablets were ok to take together and reactions were very rare.

D

Deleted member 22389

My mum uses pharmacy 2u, it's a good service. My mum is 82 years old. For her it's worked out well.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Didn't think you could send medication through the post?

Edit: Joe Bloggs can't Dr Joe can.

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My Mrs has regular pills and she emails the chemist down the road who sort it out for her and she collects it a couple of days later. They will deliver too.
I think a lot of chemists offer this now, got to be worth checking to keep it local.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I binned the letter as soon as it arrived. I'd rather have a local Chemist.

D

Deleted member 22389

Our local chemist delivers to the door, for those that need it.

I will check it out and see if they offer this service. Can't fault pharmacy2u though. Thought it was a con at the start, but have made things so much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
local chemist for me , they have a pharmacist who can give help over medication etc. If the local chemist goes then so they will and even more pressure will be put on A&E and GPs.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Years ago I worked for the company who do Pharmacy2U's software. They have good taste in pizzas (from when they used to send them in to the office after any outages/all-nighters) I can say.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
In New York doctors will only issue e-prescriptions for patients - this came in last year in an attempt to reduce fraud, abuse and errors caused when pharmacists misread the quacks handwriting.

But you still go to a traditional pharmacy to pick up your prescription. It works pretty well and they send out texts to remind people when refills are due.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
There is a notice in my local chemist warning about this service. We will lose our local chemists if people use the electronic version. I ignored mine because I have to take a lot of medications and wanted to talk to my doctor and pharmacist as one leaflet in the box of tablets warned of another medication affecting the effectiveness. Both doctor and pharmacist assured me the two tablets were ok to take together and reactions were very rare.

Same with my local chemist. I'll stick with them and stuff pharmacy2u.

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing
I have recently received a newsletter regarding the NHS Electronic Prescription Service which invites you to arrange for you send your prescription to them so they can send your medication to you they will also contact you when your repeat prescription is due.
It seems that they will be dealing with the whole of the country from Leeds so you will be dealing with a very large Call Centre, so with thoughts of Press 1 for ...etc i have come to the conclusion that i will stay with my most helpful Pharmacy whose future will be in danger if too many people change to this central arrangement.
I recall that to cut costs the government are considering cutting the allowances paid to Pharmacys so this could be a deliberate attempt to bring about a situation whereby local points close to surgeries will have to close down.
Although it is a NHS service it is strange to read that your local doctor has not provided details and has not approved them contacting their patients, so who has provided the details to Pharmacy2u?

EPS can be used with your local pharmacy too, it’s not exclusive to Pharmacy2U, just tell your GP surgery which pharmacy you wish to have your scripts sent to.

It was introduced years ago to try and lower the amount of paper & time that is wasted with prescriptions in GP surgeries.

As has been said already, most local pharmacies now have a home delivery service, which, in my experience of the NHS using a centralised system, would be much better than using Pharmacy2U.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
My GP and local Chemist have an on line system I can request repeat prescriptions via a web page my GP authorises them and the chemist issues very simple

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
My GP and local Chemist have an on line system I can request repeat prescriptions via a web page my GP authorises them and the chemist issues very simple

There is a national web-based system called "Patient Access" to request repeats prescriptions, as well as other things - I can get GP appointments etc. via this system. For repeat scripts, I just go into Patient Access, tick the items I need and 48 hours later they're delivered. I don't need to do anything else, they get authorised by the GP and sent to the Pharmacy and delivered to my home without me doing anything else. Works well generally as long as all of your prescriptions have been entered into Patient Access.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I used Pharmacy2U for quite a few years when I needed regular medication. I thought it was an excellent service, the prescription was sent out by next day delivery in a plain package, saved me loads of time and effort. They were also very easy to get through to on the phone, the couple of times I did have a problem, and happy to help. Luckily I no longer need the medication but would use them again if I had the need.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
From Wiki:

In October 2015 the company was fined £130,000 for selling patients' personal data to international scammers.[28] The Information Commissioner's Office found that the company had sold patients' names and addresses without permission. They were not accused of passing on medical information. The buyers, including a health supplements company, were warned for misleading advertising and unverified health claims. An Australian lottery company was said to have deliberately targeted elderly and vulnerable individuals.[29]

In December 2015 the company stopped providing medication for several weeks due to a failure of their automated dispensing system,[30] leaving many patients without medication over the Christmas period.

They are no different from any other pharmacy offering EPS.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Round our way the GP surgeries that do well and have a large clientele of patients, are having pharmacies literally added to the side of them.
In our case, Boots have had one built.
It does work, meaning both get something out of each other.
I can understand the Phamacy2u method if you live in remote parts or are infirm and cannot get out.
But going to your own local pharmacy is traditional, getting a bottle of jollop to remedy your ailments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here