Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League v La Liga

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's been fashionable to attack the PL in recent times, which isn't unreasonable (although still very debatable) when you consider the La Liga clubs have provided 6 of the last 8 finalists.

So it is interesting to see Spurs* hold their own last night away at Real Madrid, just a few weeks after Chelsea beat Atletico in the same city. Additionally, Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd are both looking imperious in their groups (collectively beating Italian opposition as well as annihilating lesser opposition), maybe the Premier League is fighting back?

*Real Madrid v Spurs was absolutely fantastic to watch. As good as Real obviously are, Spurs provided a masterclass on how to play them and might easily have won it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The top teams in the PL are so much better than a couple of years ago. As good as Leicester winning was, it showed up how gash the top sides had become. Since then, Spurs have got better as they've signed a few and the core of the team has matured, Man City look superb, which is a shame as I thought Pep was going to get shown up last year and Man U have been Jose'd into a PL version of Juve. I'd fancy those 3 to make the last 8 at least.

Not only that Seville got done 5-1 against Moscow. There is an argument the Spanish league is on the slide.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I do think that there are changes afoot in the English game. From Under-17 to Under-21 we are enjoying a lot more international success, the St. George's Park national base seems to be working, even the standard of officiating seems to be improving.

And at the top end the Prem money means that the big 6 have awesome squad depth. Spurs were missing Dele Alli but started Llorente and got the job done against a Real Madrid side that are a hell of a lot less potent without Gareth Bale.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
English Clubs should be on a par with the best sides in Europe. Apart from the top 2 in Spain, PSG, they probably have more money to spend on players than anyone else.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The PL is a better league than the others in Europe.

Whilst it maybe a closed shop currently for the top 6 each of these teams is capable of losing to any other team in the league because the bottom teams are better/the gap is closer than elsewhere.

Barca/Real can rest players against the lower teams and not really be in danger of losing.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I do think that there are changes afoot in the English game. From Under-17 to Under-21 we are enjoying a lot more international success, the St. George's Park national base seems to be working, even the standard of officiating seems to be improving.

And at the top end the Prem money means that the big 6 have awesome squad depth. Spurs were missing Dele Alli but started Llorente and got the job done against a Real Madrid side that are a hell of a lot less potent without Gareth Bale.

They didn't have Bale, but Spurs didn't have Dembele, Lamela, Wanyama, Fully fit Rose and as you mentioned Alli.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the 50s/60s there was a representative match IIRC it was 3rd South v 3rd North but I could be mixed up I would suggest a game La Liga v Premier League but I am sure the clubs would be against it unless of course Sky wanted it then it would happen.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They didn't have Bale, but Spurs didn't have Dembele, Lamela, Wanyama, Fully fit Rose and as you mentioned Alli.

I think some of the big European sides rely very heavily on one or two individuals and feel it disproportionately when they don't play. I think Spurs might even have got a result last night without Harry Kane.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think some of the big European sides rely very heavily on one or two individuals and feel it disproportionately when they don't play. I think Spurs might even have got a result last night without Harry Kane.

Janssen would have taken that chance....

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I've always hoped that in the week after the World Cup Final there could be a mini-tournament consisting of a Europe XI, Americas XI, Africa XI and an Asia + Oceania XI.

Obviously it would never happen, but it would be good to see :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here