Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Long awaited returns

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I very much rated him last season but was wary if he could make the step up to the Prem. He has the ability but doesn't always get himself involved enough. His passing can either be really good some games and absolutely shocking on other games. Maybe it's his inconsistency I'm judging him by rather than his ability?

If you think his passing is inconsistent, then I point you in the direction of:
http://www.squawka.com/players/dale-stephens-stephens/stats

85% passing success - Top player in the squad. Over 300 passes with 75% of them going forwards.

Squawka's data also agrees with most people's opinions that Dale Stephens has improved as the season has gone on.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, we were incredibly successful last season with Kayal and Baldock in the team, so just bring them in for Gross and Propper, obviously.....................

.............or maybe I'll just leave it to CH to earn his salt trying to shoe-horn fourteen or fifteen players into an eleven man starting line up!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
For me, play Baldock up front, Pröpper sat behind, Größ and Stephens in the middle and interchangable between March/Knocky/José on the wings.
If going for a 442 then throw Izzy in for Pröpper. Any of our midfield can fill that No10 role though, we have a pretty creative midfield.

Interesting one. For me the big drawback of this is that we'd lack a target man for the inevitable moments where we're forced to hammer it long, though I concede that if Baldock is playing in our more advanced position he'd be on the shoulder and we'd aim in behind. Actually the more I think about it the more I'd like to see it given a go.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Interesting one. For me the big drawback of this is that we'd lack a target man for the inevitable moments where we're forced to hammer it long, though I concede that if Baldock is playing in our more advanced position he'd be on the shoulder and we'd aim in behind. Actually the more I think about it the more I'd like to see it given a go.

You do realise the Albion wouldn't have scored any goals this season if Gross was playing further back.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
And is he really "struggling". ??
Seems to have settled in best of our new signings.
See his aggressive assist for AK's goal on Sunday for starters.

I meant struggling only with the physical side. He has been brushed off the ball very easily at times, no doubt his upper body strength is being worked on. Not such an issue in an advanced position but my point was it will be if he is put in CM.

There's very little else to complain about with Gross based on stats alone and yes, very glad he followed in to win the ball for the assist on Sunday.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes. I agree . Stephens and Pröpper are now #1 CM choice but Gross can definitely play there and has done in his Bundesliga career when required.
And is he really "struggling". ??
Seems to have settled in best of our new signings.
See his aggressive assist for AK's goal on Sunday for starters.

Not too many seem to be discussing Gross' latest assist, and I like your description of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not too many seem to be discussing Gross' latest assist, and I like your description of it.

That discussion has run it's course.
It'll only spark up again when he doesn't get an assist. :jester:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm not sure that we should be playing a "no. 9", if that player doesn't have the pace or quality.

If Baldock was fit enough to start (which he almost certainly won't be), I would be inclined to play him in the middle of a very pacey forward line with two of Solly, Knocky or Iz. Play the ball on the ground down the channels and let them chase it down. You could even try the "false 9" with the three of them.

Tomer's return can't come quick enough for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not sure that we should be playing a "no. 9", if that player doesn't have the pace or quality.

If Baldock was fit enough to start (which he almost certainly won't be), I would be inclined to play him in the middle of a very pacey forward line with two of Solly, Knocky or Iz. Play the ball on the ground down the channels and let them chase it down. You could even try the "false 9" with the three of them.

Tomer's return can't come quick enough for me.

I think that there is very little to chose between TH & GM and I dont think that either is mobile enough for the Premier and for me GM gains it on aerial ability.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Will be most pleased to see Kayal back. When fully fit our best at winning ball,distribution and most important when opposition players round him able to keep possesion

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will be most pleased to see Kayal back. When fully fit our best at winning ball,distribution and most important when opposition players round him able to keep possesion

Its all about opinions to me he is the least important one to get back as I believe that he will struggle to get any further than the bench with the odd cameo late on in a game. Baldock is the one for me as that is where we are failing, up front.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
If Baldock was fit enough to start (which he almost certainly won't be), I would be inclined to play him in the middle of a very pacey forward line with two of Solly, Knocky or Iz.

He, like Kayal, will be playing for the u23s tomorrow. He did 60 mins on Monday so probably longer tomorrow. A fairly standard recovery process.
Come through that unscathed and he's not far off being available for the first team - perhaps for Southampton (H) (Sun 29th). Perhaps one more u23 run out. (also Southampton Mon Oct 30th) so then available for Swansea (Sat Nov 4th).

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its all about opinions to me he is the least important one to get back as I believe that he will struggle to get any further than the bench with the odd cameo late on in a game. Baldock is the one for me as that is where we are failing, up front.

Be great to have both back, Kayal like Hemed may just be more suited to the Premier League than we think. Either way Gives CH more options wether its from the bench or starting.

You are dropping Gross I assume to fit Baldock in.... ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Be great to have both back, Kayal like Hemed may just be more suited to the Premier League than we think. Either way Gives CH more options wether its from the bench or starting.

You are dropping Gross I assume to fit Baldock in.... ?

No I would put Gross back as the AM in front of Stephens and Proppr and start 1 of March, Izquierdo and Knockhaert wide left. To accommodate that I would look at Schelotto at right wing back as the attacking force wide right.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I havent as that could be done during the game when 1 gets forward the other covers him
That's a separate point and can happen with multiple players who can try and cover for a teammate who's out of position. You were talking about a straight swap, not covering.
for some games I would look at a back 3 and go 3-5-2
As an example, who would you put in those positions?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Duffy Dunk Hunemier as the back three
Schellotto Stephens Propper Gross and in a quandry about the left wing back between March Bong and Suttner with Baldock and Murray up top.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here