Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Albion Ladies

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Why do they play at the same time as the mens team? Away to Oxford on Sun 29th (would have gone as local for me), yet at the same time will be at Amex against Soton

You can largely thank Sky / BT Sport for that.

There was a similar problem for Arsenal v Brighton / Brighton Women v Durham City Women on October 1. Paul Barber said he has tried to get the women's games moved (can't move the men's games, you see...) so that they don't clash. Of course, it may be down to the distance and pre-arrangements for Durham, but the FA weren't exactly lending a sympathetic ear either.

Why do they play at the same time as the mens team? Away to Oxford on Sun 29th (would have gone as local for me), yet at the same time will be at Amex against Soton

I think this has been mentioned before in connection with the Arsenal game, their league sets the time and the Club couldn't change it. Would like to take Youngest Potting to watch them but a lot of their games this season are midweek which is not good for us.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think this has been mentioned before in connection with the Arsenal game, their league sets the time and the Club couldn't change it. Would like to take Youngest Potting to watch them but a lot of their games this season are midweek which is not good for us.

Glorious opportunity on November 12 (next home game). It's a Sunday, and it's during a men's international break.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You're missing my point entirely. Evaluating their sport by how they'd fare against men is exactly what I'm saying you CAN'T do.

Just consider it an entirely different sport if that's easier. If there's a good level of ability (which there is) and the games are competitive (because they are playing against other women) what relevance is the fact they are not as strong / fast / tall / heavy as another group of players?
100% this. I occasionally get to watch Birmingham Ladies and the games are generally enjoyable with good levels of skill of a comparable level between competing teams which is what you want.
Quality of goalkeepers can be a bit questionable but that's possibly true at most levels of the men's game too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can we compare Rafa Nadal with Joanna Konta while we're at it?

Athletics is a good one, as its all stats so simple to compare.

The women's 100m world record of 10.49 seconds is well outside the top 500 men's times set this year alone. Why does clearly substandard women's sprinting get any attention?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think HKFC has already pointed out the blindingly obvious that you cannot compare mens football to ladies football because of the difference in physical attributes. Hopefully BG now understands the physical differences between the male and female of the species.

As I was involved in womens football from the late 80s, when the only national competition was the WFA Cup and all league football was regionalised, what I can tell you is how the standard of play has improved beyond all measure. The fact that all of the top womens teams are now associated with league clubs means they have vastly improved training and medical facilities. The overwhelming majority are also fulltime professionals.

There was a Brighton Ladies team playing their home games at Withdean many years before the mens team started playing there.

I'm a bit bemused (although I probably shouldn't be!) at BG's apparent astonishment that a female football pundit speaks a lot of sense. Why wouldn't they? They are just as capable of understanding every aspect of the game as a man!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Glorious opportunity on November 12 (next home game). It's a Sunday, and it's during a men's international break.

I'd like to go to a women's game but Sundays are a pain because of my daughter's rugby (it's not just the women's game, I missed Newcastle and will miss Southampton). Why don't the women ever play midweek so those of us involved in local sports can see them?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the ability of players at international is clearly better than Rymans, probably better than league 2 or even 1 (how does one judge this objectively?). different game though as they play a slower pace imo. goalkeeping is pretty awful too.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'd like to go to a women's game but Sundays are a pain because of my daughter's rugby (it's not just the women's game, I missed Newcastle and will miss Southampton). Why don't the women ever play midweek so those of us involved in local sports can see them?

But then you could ask why don't womens rugby play midweek so you can watch Albion Ladies at the weekend!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I am a little bemused about the publicity for it. I must say that one of the best pundits on BBC IMHO is the ex England ladies player, whose name I dont know but she speaks a lot of sense and appears very knowledgeable on football more so than some of her male counterparts.

It is because women girls put as much effort in to their sport to get to the best level they can. My daughter who has an ambition to become a pro cyclist. She trains until the lactic acid build up makes her puke sometimes. But the rewards if she makes it will be less then a boys if he succeeds at the same level in men's sport. ~Of course she probably never have the physic to beat a top male pro, but that does not mean her effort is less. She will have to still have to have a job even if she reaches the highest level. Men's sports get paid better because the coverage is everywhere and sponsorship is driven by coverage.

The coverage women sport get is minuscule compared to the coverage men sports get, but some men can't seem to cope with this small amount if coverage that is trying to redress the balance, and turns their little brains in to a spin. Not a dig at you by the way.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
N, N

Hope that helps.

Thanks Bozza - Ive just left the worst voicemail in the world. It was a serious, sensitive subject where I couldn't help snorting and laughing throughout. That will take some explaining when they call back.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That is what I expected as I believe there is so much hype about womens football and even at international level on TV have found nothing to get excited about.

It’s the same sport, but a different game. That simple.

And it’s enjoyable to watch when you into a game knowing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Because that would diminish the opportunity of younger children attending the women's matches.

I was at the Cup game last week where at least 20 people from Rustington Raiders (a girls' football club) came along - but that's an exception. Not many adults would come along with their young daughters / neices etc. on a school night. Anyway, my point is - the hero worship the women's team got from these girls was great, and that must be tapped into.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This debate has been done a million times, and it'll go nowhere. You just can't compare like that - whatever their ability levels, they can't ever match the physicality.

This match in Australia says it all http://www.goal.com/en/news/13712/e...a-womens-team-loses-7-0-to-under-15-mens-side

The national ladies team played an U15 boys' side for Olympic preparation and got destroyed.

Sorry Hans, but I couldn’t help but note this link in the story you referenced...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/dusseld...ball-with-my-penis/1i6bukxp6eoyq1n5w0eb2atxbf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
the ability of players at international is clearly better than Rymans, probably better than league 2 or even 1 (how does one judge this objectively?). different game though as they play a slower pace imo. goalkeeping is pretty awful too.

Goalkeeping isn't great in women's football - plus 6'2" women are a bit more of a rare find.

As for pace - I was at Worthing v Met Police on Saturday (Tier 7, I believe) and I'd say the pace of that game and the Albion Women was fairly even. What women's teams lack if they did go for the folly of taking on men is physical strength. But then, as has been pointed out countless times, they're not playing against men.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I have often wondered what their standard is in comparison to mens football ie would they be able to compete with Rymans League or would it be more Worthing & District Saturday afternoon on Broadwater Green? Would be interested in some views and opinions.

You might be bored, but surely you can find something a little more original for your fishing trip?
:fishing:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why don't you go and watch a game and check out the standard for yourself?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here