Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Small car syndrome

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Interestingly you have picked up the teacher's habit. Normally it's the teacher who tells everyone at every opportunity that they are a teacher. You've done it by proxy. I've never noticed it in any other profession.

Terribly sorry, I was just telling you the facts as I saw them driving three different types of vehicles and being a driver (and rider) that does well over 30000 miles a year.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Having said that the overall standard of driving in the UK is fairly sh*t. Especially around London & the M25.

Everything is relative I suppose. I spent seven years driving in India and Nigeria. UK driving has seemed pretty good to me since then.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
I drive an i10 and suffer a little bit from from what the OP is referring to.

Nothing compares to when I was living and working in France and came back to the UK for a week in a French registered left hand drive car. I swear people were deliberately aiming for me....

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Whatever car you drive there are thousands of absolute d*ckheads on the road who drive too aggressively, too slowly, without paying enough attention, or are just plain useless.

It's true that having a more powerful car is very useful to get out of situations caused by the d*ckheads. Especially on the motorway. Being able to think "feck this" and leave the d*ckheads behind really quickly is a godsend.

So I reckon it isn't bullying of the small car driver but more the general shitness of the d*ckheads that's harder to avoid when driving something with less power.

Been my experience anyway.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I drive a white van and what you describe happens all the time to us. So no I don't believe it is the car you drive it's all the other idiots around you.
I'm thinking of getting one of those videos camera's :moo:
I've got a white van. Totally hit and miss, strangely find round here, if you're joining from a road you'll be let in, if you're indicating to try and pull into traffic from the kerb, forget it, can be waiting 5 mins. I drive an Audi A5 for personal use and always get let in quickly. Reckon they just dislike white vans!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
They all have to have massive 4 x 4 vehicles here, it's the law I think.
I drive a large long wheel based panel van, so don't usually get many problems, but the wife has a much smaller runabout.
She has no end of trouble with mainly it's other women driving these monsters with no regard whatsoever for anyone else on the road.
It's like a female version of penis size I think, but they can't park them or do any complicated maneuvers to save their lives.
No problem going forward and just putting their foot down, but anything else is comedy gold especially reverse parking, they will do anything to avoid that, even if it means going backwards and forwards for half an hour before they fit in the space.
I think parking bays are made longer here specifically for that reason.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
We went from a Polo to a VW Passat Estate. The change in drivers over here was astronomical. Suddenly people would let you out of junctions, not tailgate, and generally not drive like dicks towards you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And they don't pay road tax.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Having gone from a very small to quite a large car, I don't think there's a huge amount of difference - maybe a little. I do find, though, that the people who pull out in front of you tend to be the ones who then crawl along at about 1/3rd of the speed limit and you're stuck behind them for then next ten miles. It wouldn't be such a problem if they got a move on.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I own cars of various sizes but don’t see changes in other road users attitudes to whatever car I’m driving at the time.

We have a Hyundai i20 and a Hyundai i10. I normally drive the i10 because I do fewer miles. Don't usually notice much difference.

I was driving a longer distance yesterday to go to something near Crawley - up the M3, round the M25 and down the M23. At the top of the M3 noticed a lot of people in Porsches and big 4x4s charging up the inside quieter lane to cut in to the queued up lane I was in. The first one cut me up, so I could have taken it personally, but then realise plenty of people were doing it to all sorts of different vehicles.

I did also, while coming down the M23 - middle lane, overtaking things. A youngish woman in a Japanese 4x4 started indicating to overtake while I was alongside her, and there was something outside me in the outside lane. She started gesticulating at me because I didn't get out of her way, and the rudeness continued until she managed to get past me. But what was I supposed to do? Disappear? Take off and fly over the lorry that was in front of me?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I have a very large saloon car, my wife and daughter have medium size cars and my son has a small car.
I drive them all from time to time and I think my willy stays the same size, whichever one I am driving.
Is that odd or should I see my doctor?:D

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I currently drive 3 cars of varying size and have probably driven over 100. The only difference I have found is that if you drive something very unusual or old (classic, not rustbucket !) more people let you out. Other than that, no difference between cars.

I find that the vehicle other drivers drive seems to reflect the type of driving far more, and that the worst (most aggressive) drivers tend to be men in their 50s. And one for the sexists - often women don't let you out of sideroads when stationary, they just stare (and hang) on the bumper in front. Especially at the top of Dyke Road :censored:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When cycling my general rule is 'the longer a car takes to go past the smaller it is'.

Oddly small cars feel they need to put their driver side wheels into the oncoming lane, the fact they can probably overtake without without even altering their initial road position is lost on them.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Quite often I use the wife’s small peaugeot 107 for work.
People take libs though like pulling out of junctions in front, cutting me up, not letting me join carriageways.
Shooting out in front on roundabouts, cutting me up and general bullying tactics.
It seems just cause they know my car is slow they can take the piss
None of this happens when I’m in my saloon though.
This must be pretty common for slow small cars

Small cars are great. My little Diesel has never let me down, does nearly 80 to the gallon and costs nothing to tax

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
When cycling my general rule is 'the longer a car takes to go past the smaller it is'.

Oddly small cars feel they need to put their driver side wheels into the oncoming lane, the fact they can probably overtake without without even altering their initial road position is lost on them.

You must have some very wide roads over on the dark side of Sussex!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm collecting my 3.4L V6 LWB Japanese Import ex Ambulance early next week.

You better all get out the way or "You'll be f****** go home in it".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here