Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why Neville Southall has become a hero for Corbynites

Good in his day, but another seduced by student politics.

Interesting theory but he's no Rik is he? Actually the real answer is his work in a Pupil Referral Unit in Wales has brought him into contact with a lot of Unison members, so I think their politics may have influenced him a bit

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Good in his day, but another seduced by student politics.[/https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.buzzfeed.com%2Fbuzzfeed-static%2Fstatic%2F2015-03%2F19%2F11%2Fenhanced%2Fwebdr13%2Foriginal-13199-1426777943-18.jpg%3Fdownsize%3D715%3A*%26output-format%3Dauto%26output-quality%3Dauto&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.buzzfeed.com%2Fjimwaterson%2Feveryone-took-the-piss-out-of-jacob-rees-mogg-at-university&docid=zD9kxA2SipQu_M&tbnid=UkudL_47KYcZ2M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwj7-IPF1vrWAhVKXBQKHeafCwQQMwgxKAAwAA..i&w=715&h=1237&hl=en-gb&client=safari&bih=460&biw=320&q=jacob%20rees%20mogg%20as%20a%20student&ved=0ahUKEwj7-IPF1vrWAhVKXBQKHeafCwQQMwgxKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
To your point, I interviewed a guy for a job recently and he ended up turning it down because he'd worked out that he would end up with less take home pay if he took it than if he continued to live on a variety of different benefits. To me, to have a situation where that scenario is even possible is totally mental.

Agreed. And Corbyn and his ilk (inc Big Nev) want to INCREASE it. Frigging nuts.

Stick to the pies Nev

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Interesting theory but he's no Rik is he? Actually the real answer is his work in a Pupil Referral Unit in Wales has brought him into contact with a lot of Unison members, so I think their politics may have influenced him a bit

Good call. 'Rik' instantly made me think 'he's not being blinking borjoysey' whichever episode it was I can't recall. The current Everton side some way from the side he was in all that time ago.

Invicta

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
He's bitter because he spunked all the cash he made from football!

Oct 25, 2003
To your point, I interviewed a guy for a job recently and he ended up turning it down because he'd worked out that he would end up with less take home pay if he took it than if he continued to live on a variety of different benefits. To me, to have a situation where that scenario is even possible is totally mental.

I think he's made a poor choice there- in the long term at least. He may see an initial short fall and it may in theory be 'easier' for him not to work, but in terms of it being less financially lucrative to work he is probably not correct. For starters there is a benefits cap which isn't especially high and you can claim certain benefits whilst still being in work (in fact MOST of our benefits are paid to workers). In terms of what he'd lose out on, it wouldn't be that much. I'd be interested to learn what he was claiming as it's VERY rare that it's possibly to earn more on benefits than in work.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Why should Neville Southall's opinion be any more important than say my dustman's.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd be interested to learn what he was claiming as it's VERY rare that it's possibly to earn more on benefits than in work.

I agree that the income is unlikely to be lower but there may only be a small increase and he'd be faced with outgoings that would be much higher.

For example, commuting costs, he may have to buy a new suit or other work clothes, may have to pay more for childcare (or care for an elderly parent), he may have a long term health problem that necessitated regular drugs (free when unemployed), he may have a student loan that he's not currently paying off but would have to if he took the job. It could be a multitude of things - salary is only part of the equation.

Oct 25, 2003
I agree that the income is unlikely to be lower but there may only be a small increase and he'd be faced with outgoings that would be much higher.

For example, commuting costs, he may have to buy a new suit or other work clothes, may have to pay more for childcare (or care for an elderly parent), he may have a long term health problem that necessitated regular drugs (free when unemployed), he may have a student loan that he's not currently paying off but would have to if he took the job. It could be a multitude of things - salary is only part of the equation.

yes, fair enough

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
yes, fair enough

I think the basic point you made was fair enough though. When I was leaving journalism college, I was offered a job on The Cricketer (I'd been an intern there). It would have been great to work there but the money was barely more than the dole and I'd have been out of pocket because of costs - I therefore turned it down.

I thought only of the short term pain but, in reality, I'd have been off to go there and take the hit. I'd have been broke for a few months but I'd have learned a lot from CMJ, made some good contacts and would have benefited in the long run. Sadly, I was in my 20s and didn't think long term.

There are some people, however, who just couldn't afford to take any sort of hit: it's why I'm in favour of universal basic income, it would solve a lot of these issues

Why should Neville Southall's opinion be any more important than say my dustman's.

I wanna hear about your dustman's now - please update as soon as poss

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
absolutely.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Youre neglecting to mention a bit of personal pride .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Youre neglecting to mention a bit of personal pride .

That may be a factor in taking a job, but if the financial hit is such that he really can't take it, personal pride is going to fall by the wayside. You can't eat pride

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here