Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Sussex Coaches on the 17.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not a lot of people will know this, but . . . Sussex Coaches have just taken over the Sunday/Bank Holiday operation of route 17 (Horsham to Brighton & vv.) from Compass Bus.

What a fiaso yesterday's journey was. When l presented my Season Ticket for free travel to Brighton, (valid from Henfield) to the driver, he had no knowledge of what it was, and refused to accept it as payment. A long and involved conversation then ensued, delaying the bus by about 15 minutes, ending with the driver phoning the depot, and being told, 'make the bloke pay, or tell him to get off the bus', so reluctantly l had no choice but to pay up.

As I suspected, more chaos erupted further down the route, as more and more people got on, showing their match tickets, and expecting free travel, and getting short shrift from, by then, a totally confused driver..All this despite everyone telling him that Stagecoach and Compass Bus always honoured the arrangement.

An email to Paul Barber perhaps? With more and more games being played on a Sunday, l can see this becoming quite a problem for fans in this part of the world.

Jul 7, 2003
Not a lot of people will know this, but . . . Sussex Coaches have just taken over the Sunday/Bank Holiday operation of route 17 (Horsham to Brighton & vv.) from Compass Bus.

What a fiaso yesterday's journey was. When l presented my Season Ticket for free travel to Brighton, (valid from Henfield) to the driver, he had no knowledge of what it was, and refused to accept it as payment. A long and involved conversation then ensued, delaying the bus by about 15 minutes, ending with the driver phoning the depot, and being told, 'make the bloke pay, or tell him to get off the bus', so reluctantly l had no choice but to pay up.

As I suspected, more chaos erupted further down the route, as more and more people got on, showing their match tickets, and expecting free travel, and getting short shrift from, by then, a totally confused driver..All this despite everyone telling him that Stagecoach and Compass Bus always honoured the arrangement.

An email to Paul Barber perhaps? With more and more games being played on a Sunday, l can see this becoming quite a problem for fans in this part of the world.

It will depend on the terms of how they run the route. If they are running it on behalf of Stagecoach then the same ticketing rules should apply as the club has the contract with Stagecoach.

However, if they have taken on the contract direct from the Council for Sundays only, then it is their own deal with the council and would have nothing to do with Stagecoach and therefore be outside of the contract the club have with Stagecoach.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If they have replaced COMPASS I doubt that it will be accepted as Compass did not accept them I dont think, as they didnt accept R S C H passes either when they ran to Brighton. They do not provide a service it is a private company that is about making money if not the route is cancelled. I can understand Stagecoach accepting them but not Compass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here