Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert .... Team Player?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I still find it absolutely astonishing that we got him for something like £2.5m. What an absolute steal, and arguably THE bargain of the Amex era, augmented by his emotional comments after his father died about wanting to stay here forever.

For those reasons alone, I can't bring myself to be remotely picky about him. Sorry, I just can't.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I still find it absolutely astonishing that we got him for something like £2.5m. What an absolute steal, and arguably THE bargain of the Amex era, augmented by his emotional comments after his father died about wanting to stay here forever.

For those reasons alone, I can't bring myself to be remotely picky about him. Sorry, I just can't.

Understand what you're saying and, as I said, I do think he's a good player but if I was in the changing room I think I'd be having a word with him right now, my post was about some aspects of his game and whether this impacts on others, I for one believe that this could improve and I do feel that this "could" have been supported by CH's comment and the actions on field yesterday. You're right he seems a great guy and I wouldn't want him to leave.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Understand what you're saying and, as I said, I do think he's a good player but if I was in the changing room I think I'd be having a word with him right now, my post was about some aspects of his game and whether this impacts on others, I for one believe that this could improve and I do feel that this "could" have been supported by CH's comment and the actions on field yesterday. You're right he seems a great guy and I wouldn't want him to leave.

He is what he is - mercurial and gets frustrated with himself and others, but he has been a pocket genius for us so often. The other thing to say is that we've all played with people who can be a bit too grumpy on the pitch, and in these cases it is all about how those people conduct themselves off the pitch. If he's getting stroppy with his team mates but the first thing he does on getting back to the dressing room is to apologise and this personality flaw is accepted by his team mates, then I don't see the issue.

I'd say that team unity has been a major reason for the continuous upward trajectory of the club over the past 7 or 8 years, and as such you simply cannot isolate the behaviour of a player's conduct on the pitch. There is a wider picture which simply do not see as fans.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
He's flair, he's a grafter, he's a team player and a winner. If I owned a pussy I'd let him lick it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He is what he is - mercurial and gets frustrated with himself and others, but he has been a pocket genius for us so often. The other thing to say is that we've all played with people who can be a bit too grumpy on the pitch, and in these cases it is all about how those people conduct themselves off the pitch. If he's getting stroppy with his team mates but the first thing he does on getting back to the dressing room is to apologise and this personality flaw is accepted by his team mates, then I don't see the issue.

I'd say that team unity has been a major reason for the continuous upward trajectory of the club over the past 7 or 8 years, and as such you simply cannot isolate the behaviour of a player's conduct on the pitch. There is a wider picture which simply do not see as fans.
I agree, his antics are part of the same person who has tied defences in knots...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Completely agree, and that's my comment re: I'd be having a chat if I were a player or may not need to, if, as you say, this is known and accepted.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
So many 'if onlys' in sport (and life). I do feel the main fault for their goal was Bruno's ill-judged elbow rather than AK's foul... But everything is arguable. In fact, wasn't Squizzy only 5 paces behind AK and catching Miralles fast?? Hmmm oh well. As someone said last month: AK bleeds blue and white and is just as happy if a team-mate scores. Most mercurial players need understanding team-mates to some degree, but they also need a telling sometimes.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He would have been vilified on this forum for not doing that if their player had run through and scored...

Exactly, he did the right thing in mullering Mirallas to the ground. He can't be expected to predict the future! It's just a bit ironic that some people in this thread have criticised his work rate but the best example of him working hard for the team, in the 90th minute, led to their equaliser.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
To be clear I think AK is a good player with the potential to be a great player.

That said, I have a significant concern that there are issues around his impact on the team. There have been many examples of togetherness from the squad towards him and AK whipping up the fans to get behind the team but all too often you see him chipping away at players that haven't passed to him or just generally throwing his arms in the air?

Add to this CH's comments post match when speaking about AK he said he needs to work on his "team game" or something similar?

I'm just wondering if it impacts on other players such as Solly etc, Solly doesn't run with the ball as much, is this because he fears criticism or am I reading far too much into this?

What are your views on AK?

He is 100% a team player.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
He is 100% a team player.

Sorry, I can't agree with you there. Based on the only evidence I have, which is how he behaves on the field, I'd say there are areas he's lacking in. Examples are the way he reacts to other players when it doesn't go his way and the way he sometimes, occasionally I grant you, drifts in and out of a game.

I am not saying I don't like the guy, I think he's a good player and we grabbed a bargain when we signed him, I just couldn't agree that he's 100% a team player based on my experience.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sorry, I can't agree with you there. Based on the only evidence I have, which is how he behaves on the field, I'd say there are areas he's lacking in. Examples are the way he reacts to other players when it doesn't go his way and the way he sometimes, occasionally I grant you, drifts in and out of a game.

I am not saying I don't like the guy, I think he's a good player and we grabbed a bargain when we signed him, I just couldn't agree that he's 100% a team player based on my experience.

The evidence I see is a player that busts a gut to track back, who will pass and move and who plays the role the boss asks him to on the pitch. If anything, I’d like him to be a bit more selfish and run at players.

If he gets angry that things haven’t gone his way, then I can forgive him that.

Sorry, can’t see enough evidence to say he is not a team player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Exactly, he did the right thing in mullering Mirallas to the ground. He can't be expected to predict the future! It's just a bit ironic that some people in this thread have criticised his work rate but the best example of him working hard for the team, in the 90th minute, led to their equaliser.

And also apologized to Mirallas as a proper gent would .

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Don't blame him for making the professional foul, really didn't see any other option given the circumstances

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I just hope he gets the counselling he needs to get over his old man's passing. It has clearly affected him really badly. Seeing him so emotional after scoring, when he should be happy, brought it home. I think the lad is struggling & has recently said as much.
Maybe his flashes of ill temper recently are also related to his state of mind.
Anyway, I just think a more at peace with himself Knocky will show on the pitch also.
Terrible thing grief.

Jimmy Grimble

Unrelated to whether he's a team player or not, but his performances in the PL so far and his general wellbeing in relation to his father's death make me inclined to believe he'll be here next season even if we are relegated.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here