Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three from five for the drop (and world-beating Huddersfield now relegation favourites)

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Where are Southampton on the list? Only one point ahead of us and have played some of their easiest fixtures. Only played Man United out of the 'big teams' as well.

Next above Watford - 20-25/1 depending on bookie. You would guess that if they don't start winning soon they will need to think about making a change. I would guess with a new man in place they have a decent squad to get out of any issues, but could be the next Villa if they don't sort it soon.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Feels about right, I suppose.

Those extra 2 points would have made a bit of a difference to these odds.

View attachment 90251
They've got Southampton less likely to go down than Watford, West brom, Leicester, Stoke? Have they just forgotten about them?

There is so little special about that saints team anymore after they've been gutted over the past few years, that and changing managers will catch up with them at some point

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
The table is very tight and beyond the top six pulling away I wouldn't expect there will be too much choose between everyone else deep into the season. I think the positive thing is no one has made us look out of our depth. We look capable of scoring goals from a variety of sources and we are very solid at the back. Getting Baldock back will help get a bit more mobility up front and I think he'll give us another creative option. The key will be to continue to pick up home points and grab a few away wins against key rivals. We'll do this

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Ifs and buts will be brutal this year.

If we'd clung on yesterday and had a stroke of luck at Watford we'd be sitting very pretty right now.

Still trying to work out whether Rafa is a genius and has made Newcastle reasonably solid with a bang average team, or if they've been 'lucky' and will start to sink soon.

Alternatively, if Joselu had scored that sitter at 0-0 in the Newcastle game, we may well have lost that and be three points worse off. There are always games you could have got something more from but football fans tend to ignore the opposite.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Alternatively, if Joselu had scored that sitter at 0-0 in the Newcastle game, we may well have lost that and be three points worse off. There are always games you could have got something more from but football fans tend to ignore the opposite.

Our results against Man City and Watford look better as each week passes, or result against Bournemouth looks catastrophic.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Can’t help thinking Palace and Bournemouth have the players to get out of it unfortunately . If the game against them in a few weeks isn’t tense enough it looks like a real 6 pointer.

I wasn't entirely surprised by the Palace result. They do have some good players and a Zaha/Townsend strikeforce looks pretty potent to me. I can see them pulling clear of the bottom three as Christmas approaches and they have the potential to kick on from there. It's going to be a tense game against them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Tammy Abraham had joined us instead of Swansea things would be looking very different.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
How are Burnley that short? 7th in the table, they have a really solid defence and have found someone to put the ball in the net in Chris Wood.

Won away at Chelsea and Everton and draws with Liverpool and Spurs.

Can see them being comfortably in mid-table, and above West Brom, West Ham, Stoke and Newcastle.

A lot depends on injuries, the smaller clubs don't have the resources or appeal to get someone in if there's an injury or two. I remember when we went down one season we failed to get anyone in on the January transfer window, Sunderland were near us but could afford to spend 80k a week on Defoe.

Plus I seem to recall the odds are largely dictated by the money being put on, so the bookies aren't really saying much, it's the bets which are dictating the prices.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would just like to say that I share [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s perverse satisfaction of seeing "world beating Huddersfield" dropping like a stone. Obviously it is good for us that Huddersfield are indeed another genuine relegation candidate so we'll all be happy to that extent, but (and I know it's not their fault) I just got pissed off with the Paul Mersons of this world banging on about how they'll be safe simply because they got results in their first few games, whilst suggesting we were doomed because the usual pundits didn't know who our players were.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do they take into account who you have played and whether its home or away ?

For example Palace have played after 8 matches , Liverpool, Man united , Man city away and Chelsea at home, that is a pretty harsh first 8 games.

Maybe because Liverpool, United, City and Chelsea is NOT 'a harsh 8 games'. That is FOUR games.

You also played at home to Huddersfield, Swansea and Southampton, and at Burnley...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think Southampton have all the makings of being an 'outsider' to really get involved in the relegation battle this season. They've been having huge problems in front of goal and their best defender has recently been on strike and is openly talking about leaving in January. Even Forster, who has been a solid keeper in the past, is playing like a clown at the moment. They also have a completely unproven manager in this country. I could be wrong, he might get it right soon and it all starts to click, but right now I think they are certainly more likely to be in the mix than the likes of Burnley, West Brom and West Ham.

Agree with this. Southampton have got 8 points from Swansea, west Ham, Huddersfield, Watford, Palace, Man U, Stoke and Newcastle. They are best priced 25-1 to go down with Betfair.

There is no way Southampton have only a 4% chance of going down. At the very least you should be able to cash that out at a profit at some point.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think Southampton have all the makings of being an 'outsider' to really get involved in the relegation battle this season. They've been having huge problems in front of goal and their best defender has recently been on strike and is openly talking about leaving in January. Even Forster, who has been a solid keeper in the past, is playing like a clown at the moment. They also have a completely unproven manager in this country. I could be wrong, he might get it right soon and it all starts to click, but right now I think they are certainly more likely to be in the mix than the likes of Burnley, West Brom and West Ham.

I agree with all of this APART from the bit about Forster ever looking a solid keeper.

Apart from the basic fact that he's absolutely MASSIVE, he has very little about him - not commanding, average reflexes and utterly woeful with his feet.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Other than Palace, who would you most like to see finish below us? For me, it'd be Bournemuff just to wipe that smug look off of Eddie Howe's face.

Bournemouth because a club with ridiculously small stadium capacity should not be anywhere near the Premier League.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I agree with all of this APART from the bit about Forster ever looking a solid keeper.

Apart from the basic fact that he's absolutely MASSIVE, he has very little about him - not commanding, average reflexes and utterly woeful with his feet.

There was a season a while ago where he kept a serious amount of clean sheets, However infront of him he had Bertrand, Clyne, Alderweireld.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Ifs and buts will be brutal this year.

If we'd clung on yesterday and had a stroke of luck at Watford we'd be sitting very pretty right now.

Still trying to work out whether Rafa is a genius and has made Newcastle reasonably solid with a bang average team, or if they've been 'lucky' and will start to sink soon.

We had a stroke of luck at Watford but didn't capitalise on it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think

South London Comedy Collective
Stoke
Bournemouth
Huddersfield

But would prefer

Bournemouth
Stoke
South London Comedy Collective

as long as we ain't there I don't give a t**s

TNBA

TTF

You just said it youlrself, as long as as the team spelt B r i g h t o and n doesn't appear, I really don't care who fills the relegation places come the end of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here