Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Buying a 2nd hand car

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We are in need of a larger car to run around town in and are also saving for a nice big extension on he side of the house.

Hoping to buy something around 8-10 years old but everywhere I try online has cars newer than 5 years.

Does NSC have any suggestions of where best to look for a new car for the poorer pleb

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
All above

Friday AD
Facebook
car autions

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I recently sold my daughters Fiat Punto on Autotrader, We sell any car, offered 125 quid for it, she got £850 from a private sale.
That appears to be a huge discrepancy.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I recently sold my daughters Fiat Punto on Autotrader, We sell any car, offered 125 quid for it, she got £850 from a private sale.
That appears to be a huge discrepancy.

Aren't we buy any car the equivalent to the people who by your house for cash and give you far less than it's worth?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Aren't we buy any car the equivalent to the people who by your house for cash and give you far less than it's worth?

Even their advert acknowledges that you won't get as much for your car going through them. They are completely targeting those who can't be arsed with the apparent effort it takes to sell your car privately.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Wouldn't touch them with the proverbial barge pole, I thought I'd test their market and gave details of my Eunos (Mazda mx5) in very good condition with 45k mileage new mot etc, they offered £40.00? Tossers

MonkeyGland

Jul 3, 2008
Only one thing that might be worth you also considering if you are thinking about a diesel car.

There is a lot of negative press at the moment (which might impact car values) around Euro emissions and NOx - I'm no expert but I *think* Euro 4 or lower are the ones to avoid (which is pre 2009 ish). Anyway - I'm sure someone will either clarify or put me right....MG

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Even their advert acknowledges that you won't get as much for your car going through them. They are completely targeting those who can't be arsed with the apparent effort it takes to sell your car privately.

I'd say their advert suggests they pay slightly less than you might get elsewhere, rather than far less though.

The criticism I've heard of these types of companies (buying cars or houses) is that they'll make you an initial offer, which might seem acceptable, but after completing all the paperwork, inspections, etc. they make a massively reduced final offer.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
If you know a mechanic go to a auction,400/500 quid will get you a 1500 plus car

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd say their advert suggests they pay slightly less than you might get elsewhere, rather than far less though.

The criticism I've heard of these types of companies (buying cars or houses) is that they'll make you an initial offer, which might seem acceptable, but after completing all the paperwork, inspections, etc. they make a massively reduced final offer.

We sold my father-in-laws car to them when we were dealing with his estate, price they gave was pretty much in line with the Parkers book price for the age & condition, and quite a bit better than that offered by a couple of local dealers. No problems with them trying to lower the price when we turned up either. We could possibly have got a bit more through a private sale but we're not local and it definitely took all the hassle out of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here