Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did we play dirty yesterday?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Seen lots of Everton fans telling me online in various places how Brighton played a dirty game yesterday and were trying to "kick them off the park", and how two of our players should have been sent off (Propper and presumably Bruno for the penalty incident). I didn't notice this at the match yesterday, just that the referee was blowing up for a lot of cheap fouls by us on them but not the other way round.

Anyone on here think yesterday was a dirty game, or is it just that being bought up on a diet of lower league football we have a lower threshold for these things?

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
In the first half Rooney was well tackled and dispossessed of the ball three times and he was not at all happy about it. From then on he resolved that as soon as one of our players came close he would go down like a sack of spuds, and the referee seemed complicit in rewarding him for doing so. And of course he riled Bruno before the penalty incident. Maybe our play is robust but its much preferable to this kind of cynical 'game management'.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didn't think it was a particularly dirty game but Bruno was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Rooney threw his toys out of the pram because he has a touch of a rapist and D&D punished him for it with hard, clean tackles.

Propper made a stupid tackle. Knockaert cynically committed a foul to stop the counter attack (which any player would do) and Bruno had a moment on madness. Other than that, I don't think we done much wrong. Michael Oliver just loves his toffees and his whistle.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No.

Couple of their players realised pretty early on that the w**ker in the middle would blow up at the slightest hint of contact so played to it.

Spot on.

The inconsistency of the referee was staggering......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda

English & European
In the first half Rooney was well tackled and dispossessed of the ball three times and he was not at all happy about it. From then on he resolved that as soon as one of our players came close he would go down like a sack of spuds, and the referee seemed complicit in rewarding him for doing so.

Highlighted even more so for when he got Dunk booked. A tap on his shoulder and went down as if his arm was tied on to an immovable object.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Propper's challenge didn't look especially malicious but it was very poor and he could have been sent off.

Bruno's elbow was simply daft and he should have been sent off.

Knockeart unceremoniously ended one of their counter attacks, taking one for the team and was properly booked.

Groß was doing some epic shirt pulling in the box and was fortunate not to concede a penalty and get booked.

Even allowing for a whistle happy ref I don't reckon that the episodes above are really up for dispute. We did all of that stuff. To be fair, that sounds fairly dirty to me. To an extent this is to be expected. We've not been particularly "dirty" in recent years, as we've tended to boss matches. Now that we are regularly facing opposition with squads that are, on the face of it, stronger than ours we are going to have to "mix it" a little more.

If we're going to stay up this season it will most likely be off the back of work rate and team spirit and I don't think we can be faulted for that so far. Ryan's little tradition of stampeding the length of the pitch to celebrate with the team is a good indication of the bond between the players.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We need to get stuck in more if anything

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
They were all made of paper. Went down at the slightest touch. Soft northerners.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Propper's challenge didn't look especially malicious but it was very poor and he could have been sent off.

Bruno's elbow was simply daft and he should have been sent off.

Knockeart unceremoniously ended one of their counter attacks, taking one for the team and was properly booked.

Groß was doing some epic shirt pulling in the box and was fortunate not to concede a penalty and get booked.

Even allowing for a whistle happy ref I don't reckon that the episodes above are really up for dispute. We did all of that stuff.

Agree. The ref and the lino somehow missed Groß being bundled into from behind in the box. Looking at it all he's either wilfully ignored fouls or not seen them at all both of which, in my eyes, means he had a stinker.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
They were all made of paper. Went down at the slightest touch. Soft northerners.

This - Rooney and their no. 17 went down like a sack of spuds every time an Albion player came near them. Pity the ref allowed himself to be conned so much - was he biased or just incompetent, I wonder? And why was Rooney booed?? At a guess because he was winging in the ref's ear all afternoon.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wouldn't describe us as 'dirty' as such, but what l will say is that we seem to be more worldly wise than we were last season. Prepared to put a foot in when necessary, and break up play in an ugly way when required. Rightly or wrongly it's what is going to be required for Premier League survival.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think we're pretty niggly, yeah, and always tough in the tackle. That accusation followed ud around the last couple of years too, and of course the Adams mk 1 side were well known for it. I'm glad we are, can't roll over for these premier league lot.

I never realised quite how many 'names' were in this everton side, nor how poor they would be. They really didn't deserve that point

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No way were we dirty. Generally, if anything I think we've been too nice and not physical enough (see number of bookings before yesterday).

Everton were pretty cynical. The number of times they went down easily and got a free kick was ridiculous. One player slipped in the first half (with Murray nowhere near him) and then handled the ball before being given a free kick for a foul.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I thought we looked a bit more physical yesterday than we have in a while. Right from the off Bruno was being much more aggressive with Calvert-Lewin than I've ever seen him before and gave away a couple of free kicks in the first half in the process. being at the northern end of the WSL I couldn't see who gave away the penalty but when I heard afterwards that is was Bruno and what he'd done I wasn't surprised after what he'd been doing in the first half. Was he under instruction?

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
we have had to man up, there was a 2 minute spell in the first half that we was a bit fierce in the tackle and meant it. If we don't, this league will kill us, I am still miffed how much we let the opposition play without challenging though

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Spot on.

The inconsistency of the referee was staggering......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As we have already seen, and it comes as no surprise, that the refs will usually favour the big clubs and the fat...I mean big...players. As do the FA (with Barton getting away with stamping on Kayal and Hemed's ban for treading on some Geordie). We are just going to put up with it because it isn't going to change...and we've still got The Complete And Utter Shyster to look forward to...........

Dread to think how Rooney is bringing his kids up having seen his behaviour yesterday. "If you don't get what you want kids, spew all the foul-mouthed abuse that you can, then you'll get your way"

Sad and pitiful individual.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here