Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It's very difficult to play 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 in the Premier League as your two central midfield players have to defend and attack and we have two players with no previous PL experience in there, often against teams playing 4-2-3-1 who will outnumber them. Teams that have succeeded while playing that system have had monsters like Vieira or Keane in those positions or players of incredible energy such as Kante. With all due respect to our pairing, it's credit to them that they haven't been overrun every week.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
His partnership with Propper is alongside that of Dunk and Duffy.

Sometimes Dale gets caught in possesion and seems unaware of when he is under pressure.

But the protection he and Propper give the back 4 is excellent. Escpecially given the type of player we are up against this season, who seem very good at finding space between the midifeld and defence.

As for providing more going forward, we play 2 genuine wingers a no10 and striker..... it really is down to them to make things happen that end of the pitch.

Anything from Propper and Stephens in these areas would be a massive bonus.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I wasn't that impressed yesterday but I'm a stickler for misplaced passes.

Something I've noticed is how deep DS and DP seem to sit when defending. It often looks to me like we're ceding control of the middle which is frustrating. I'd like to see DP move up a couple of yards ahead of DS from time to time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You are incorrect... Stephens assisted Hemed for his one and only goal against Newcastle. Groß the other 5.

Sure, but that could have been anyone in that position. Goals from set pieces are a bit different, wouldn't you agree? I'm not saying it doesn't count, of course it does, but my point is more about open play. We need to be a threat from set pieces, so many goals are scored from them - but we need to be a threat from open play as well. If we want to stay up!

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Sure, but that could have been anyone in that position. Goals from set pieces are a bit different, wouldn't you agree? I'm not saying it doesn't count, of course it does, but my point is more about open play. We need to be a threat from set pieces, so many goals are scored from them - but we need to be a threat from open play as well. If we want to stay up!

You didn't stipulate that you meant only from open play ;)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wasn't that impressed yesterday but I'm a stickler for misplaced passes.

Something I've noticed is how deep DS and DP seem to sit when defending. It often looks to me like we're ceding control of the middle which is frustrating. I'd like to see DP move up a couple of yards ahead of DS from time to time.

It's working. Loads of PL clubs play two CM's shielding the back 4 as their number one duty. Even ManUre did it scared of Liverpool's attacking threats. That's why the Albion aren't getting destroyed by clubs who have spent £100m's.

It still leaves 4 other outfield players to protect the full backs at times, but mainly to create and score. That is our weakness, due to difficulties in the summer transfer window. Hopefully that will be addressed at the very beginning of January.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Christ... when is an assist not an assist !....you are a hard man to please.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I guess it depends what you're looking for/expecting from him.

I thought he had a good game. For me he's in the team to protect the back four more than he is to create and in that he did a great job. He was always in the right place at the right time to break up play and deny Everton space.. He wasn't particularly inspired on the ball but he rarely is. For the role he does defensively I can live with that.

It seems to me that he is one of those players you never fully appreciate until he's not there.

...a la Hammond. He's doing loads of work that evidently is going under the radar.

When you compare him to similar (ish) players in similar (ish) teams his stats look very good. For example he is outperforming Cork, Kouyate, Billing etc when it comes to chances created, successful tackles, total passes. He is definitely more conservative when it comes to his passing, but that's undoubtedly a tactical order from CH, and one which is making us harder to break down and a team which is less likely to cede posession.

I think he suffers from being in a position where it's very visible when you do lose the ball.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Gave the ball away without being under pressure at least three times in the first half. That's how City got their goal - it's dangerous at this level. We need to be so precise with our passing and greedy with possession - and all at a faster pace than most of these players are used to.

It feels like Dale is getting the hang of it to me. More forward passing and less sideways (Hammond stylee). Breaking up play well. Tidier. Propper had a brilliant second half as he pressed us forward (ignore Ninja Elephant In The Room's stupid comments about lack of attacking passes - DP was superb second half) and this was on the back of Dale being so solid.

Consistency and precision are lacking - but it looks like it's coming. Very optimistic about this side. And really enjoying watching them learn, adapt and improve each game.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Gave the ball away without being under pressure at least three times in the first half. That's how City got their goal - it's dangerous at this level. We need to be so precise with our passing and greedy with possession - and all at a faster pace than most of these players are used to.

It feels like Dale is getting the hang of it to me. More forward passing and less sideways (Hammond stylee). Breaking up play well. Tidier. Propper had a brilliant second half as he pressed us forward (ignore Ninja Elephant In The Room's stupid comments about lack of attacking passes - DP was superb second half) and this was on the back of Dale being so solid.

Consistency and precision are lacking - but it looks like it's coming. Very optimistic about this side. And really enjoying watching them learn, adapt and improve each game.

Agreed and also with Brown and Izquierdo getting more game time and looking very useful. I think that if we can hang on outside of the bottom 3 till January and then get a striker (or 2) we will be looking good. Plus we have Baldock and Kayal coming back so virtually 2 more signings.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here